New Paint Job....What & What Not Colours!?

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

On the basis that Blue & Green should never be seen and Pink & Blue is .........Phew!?

i realise that colours are down to personal choice but if I go for a full repaint, are there combinations that people have dreamed of but which REALLY did not work?

Red fades like buggery. I like grey boats.

7 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Is that dark or light red or all reds? Was going to have a deep red surround with a dark grey/black inside the the coachlines...well that is one of 16 options ATM :huh:

All reds tend to fade quicker than any other colour I bought a boat with redtrim that was four years old and fading fast, by the time it was six years old the red was yellow. I like gray and black also.

I was told that Craftmaster Alfa Red didn't fade as much as their other reds. If you had to use a red at least choose on that doesn't fade so much. I'm sure their customer services would advise

I've seen a lot of faded red paint on boats, but please do go for some combination of bright colours. I'm not a fan of dull colours like grey and black on boat cabins, at least not if used as the main colour. When you're approaching another boat around a bend, it's good to be seen not camouflaged. Nor do I like boats painted entirely in one colour, it just isn't traditional. But ultimately it's your boat not mine, so you get to choose and have to work out what you can live with.

Yep, reds fade. Strong colours tend to, maroons as well but if you really want to it not too hard to put a coat of varnish on every couple of years to stretch the life a bit. I painted a boat once in maroon and grey, it looked nice but the undercoat for both colours was greyish and it looked really nice in undercoat.

1 hour ago, IDS said:

I was told that Craftmaster Alfa Red didn't fade as much as their other reds. If you had to use a red at least choose on that doesn't fade so much. I'm sure their customer services would advise

I can confirm. Got some Craftmaster Alfa Red panels on my boat and they are still looking good after eight years. Touch ups seem to match well to the surrounding paint.

Jen

44 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm green all over. Sometimes it can be difficult to find the boat.

I think I remember Mr Speight saying if you varnish the boat then you have to keep revarnishing every year without fail.

No. Every two to three years.

Yellow fades too. Have alpha red. It's faded after 5 years but not terribly.

Maroon

Left = Alkyd non UV varnish.

Right = 5 year old sunfaded.

20170407_122749_resized_1_zpshb5fwt8b.jp

Edited by mark99

53 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Yellow fades too. Have alpha red. It's faded after 5 years but not terribly.

Maroon

Left = Alkyd non UK varnish.

Right = 5 year old sunfaded.

20170407_122749_resized_1_zpshb5fwt8b.jp

That for all of the aove - that's a huge help. I wanted to get a brighter colour on to contrast with the black/dark grey with gold/yellow coach lines so good advice above - cheers :D

10 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Mine is purple and light grey because I let the Mrs choose and cadbury's purple has always been her face colour, it's growing on me now and a few people remark how smart it looks.

Neil

Ours is a hideous turquoise and blue, cos that was the colour of the misses hand bag when we went to get the paint mixed. 

Also don't paint below gunnels. If you do you will be repainting it soon.

Below gunnels = blacking. Next time out look at the dozens of boats with paint below gunnels and the scratches and scrapes.

Edited by mark99

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

John Sanderson, Dadfords Wharf has a web site with some of his previous works so you can see what others schemes looks like.

https://www.narrowboatpainting.co.uk/narrowboats-painted-by-john-sanders

Cheers Mark - great stuff

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Ours is a hideous turquoise and blue, cos that was the colour of the misses hand bag when we went to get the paint mixed. 

:D:D - I haven't got a handbag so I should be safe, just make sure I choose before that bar opens :blink:

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers Mark - great stuff

:D:D - I haven't got a handbag so I should be safe, just make sure I choose before that bar opens :blink:

Neither have I;)

But I do have gloss below the gunnels (not Turquoise though)

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Neither have I;)

But I do have gloss below the gunnels (not Turquoise though)

:)

Think I would HAVE to finish the painting all over and gloss there as well, else it would look a bit unfinished....guess you'd be forever touching it up but has to be done ....until I tire of doing it.

It's always intrigued me that there are very few white, or predominantly white, narrowboats.

I looked at one for sale some years ago and I thought it looked very smart, not dirty as you might expect. 

The length of the boat comes into it as well.  I think long grey boats look dreary but a short boat seems to suit the colour.  I repainted our first boat a litttle 25 footer in grey, main problem is people kept asking me what colour was it going to be when I'd finished it.