Engine Servicing after Purchase

Featured Posts

Three quick questions folks - please?

1) How do I load up a profile picture from iPad?...all my photos seem to big as I have no options when I click the profile update option.

2) when can I start using emojis?....guessing I need to be a member for a bit longer yet

3) IF!...all goes well on the survey in 2 weeks and I get my new home, Following a lot of reading, which scares the &@£? out of me given all that could go wrong, I am tempted to get a full and thorough service by a registered engineer on the Beta 1505 engine.

The boat has not been used in anger for a couple of years, but has been turned over and given small trips etc., hence I am certain all oil and filters need changing but would also guess that everything including pipes and hoses etc. needs a good check....am guessing this detailed level is not part of the survey.

Would you recommend this or if I just change the basics I should be off and running?...I worry about the lack of use and it's possible impacts.

cheers all & getting excited now.

:-)

On the ipad you can use the "click to choose files"  option in the editor and then select photo library to upload photos to message.  Use the smiley face icon that's on the "B I U S" bar of the editor to insert smileys.

edit, misread you said profile photo, should be same process.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

On the ipad you can use the "click to choose files"  option in the editor and then select photo library to upload photos to message.  Use the smiley face icon that's on the "B I U S" bar of the editor to insert smileys.

Can't seem to get the profile photo to see anything...click on it and it is like tring to tempt a cat with a lettuce leaf...nothing

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

2) They work now. Click on the smiley face at the top of the Compose Message window then select Categories-->Emoticons. 

Cheers for that, will try that one now :D

For the engine, you could just change oil and filters, then join RCR for a year and see how it goes. If the engine doesn't run smoothly or smokes a lot then get in an engineer.

A cursory check of rubber hoses , belts and other rubber parts for signs of cracking will show up any parts likely to fail.

If the engine starts easily & quickly fro cold, has above about 45psi hot & revving oil pressure, is not noisy for its type, does not overheat when pushed harder than normal and smokes no more than typical for that type I doubt a surveyor could say much more about the engine that it appears to be in good order. Not the word "appears", if you want more then you need an engineer who will do a compression test and strip the engine down to measure its components, then you will get a definitive report but I subscribe to the if its not broken don't mess with it.

Definitely change the oil & filter, change the fuel filter, have a good look at and manipulate the hoses to make sure they are not hard or cracked, and change the antifreeze. Also suck/drain whatever is in the bottom of the fuel tank.

13 hours ago, IDS said:

For the engine, you could just change oil and filters, then join RCR for a year and see how it goes. If the engine doesn't run smoothly or smokes a lot then get in an engineer.

A cursory check of rubber hoses , belts and other rubber parts for signs of cracking will show up any parts likely to fail.

Thanks for all & Zena & Tony

Being tempted to do just as you say but just lacking confidence in own abilities after so long of not working on my own car engines. Wasn't going to rely on the surveyor as guessing they are not mechanics...but you're right, they should be able to give me a level of confidence.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You must have a very low car. I have never had to jack up a car to do an oil change

I have had very low cars in the past when I was a youngster as it was all the rage to lower your car, even now on some cars I find it easier to jack it up to give room for an old 25 litre oil drum with the side cut out to catch the oil as some cars hold more than the 5litre cans that new oil comes in.

Neil

9 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Being tempted to do just as you say but just lacking confidence in own abilities after so long of not working on my own car engines. Wasn't going to rely on the surveyor as guessing they are not mechanics...but you're right, they should be able to give me a level of confidence.

River Canal Rescue do engine maintenance courses for £120 for a 2 day course, or £170 for a 4 hour session on your own boat, plus materials.

I was in a similar situation after years of being provided with a company car, so chose the RCR course on my own boat to refresh my memory and reinstate my confidence in my abilities. Well worth it, as even after you have paid for the course and materials it is much cheaper than getting a boatyard to service it and you learn how to do it yourself.

In my case we finished the service in an hour, so the RCR man spent the next 3 hours showing me how to maintain other bits on my boat.

Just now, cuthound said:

River Canal Rescue do engine maintenance courses for £120 for a 2 day course, or £170 for a 4 hour session on your own boat, plus materials.

I was in a similar situation after years of being provided with a company car, so chose the RCR course on my own boat to refresh my memory and reinstate my confidence in my abilities. Well worth it, as even after you have paid for the course and materials it is much cheaper than getting a boatyard to service it and you learn how to do it yourself.

In my case we finished the service in an hour, so the RCR man spent the next 3 hours showing me how to maintain other bits on my boat.

Now that sounds like an excellent option, I'm no mechanic but am not scared of getting oil on my hands and in the middle of winter somewhere outside nowhere, it would be nice to have some options...many thanks for that as didn't realise they did courses let alone on board ....this one I prefer as am self employed so two days is a toughie.

i can only hope I get as lucky afterwards...a real bonus.

9 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

If the boat is already out of the water for a hull survey he wont be able to run it under load in gear. It may be cold and he can try starting it, but then again it was probably driven to the crane or dry dock.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the boat is already out of the water for a hull survey he wont be able to run it under load in gear. It may be cold and he can try starting it, but then again it was probably driven to the crane or dry dock.

Am happy to wait til it is back in the water, I will take a day or two off after getting it as the rear cabin doors need lock fittings welding on ....nothing there at present.

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is why it is, in my opinion, better to find directions a boatyard with a dry dock  rather than have the boat craned out for the survey.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That is why it is, in my opinion, better to find directions a boatyard with a dry dock  rather than have the boat craned out for the survey.

Sadly don't have that option, survey is at marina where broker is based and won't buy until I know the survey results.

....survey first then once I exchange I will get the basics sorted....but having a lesson on board would be great.

4 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Am happy to wait til it is back in the water, I will take a day or two off after getting it as the rear cabin doors need lock fittings welding on ....nothing there at present.

My point was the surveyor wont be able to do it when he does the hull 

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My point was the surveyor wont be able to do it when he does the hull 

Ah I see, gotcha :) ....wasn't 100% certain...will see if I can get the onboard training as it would at least make me feel more confident. Thanks again for the feedback.

....thinking about it they can't get the boat out until late morning so he might get a chance early doors.

....still can't load a picture from the iPad...will have to try at work this week. :mellow:

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:59, Robbo said:

Finally got a profile picture uploaded - had to use Microsoft tools though, the iPad was definitely 'Computer Sais No!'