Wallpaper..........!!!

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Bee said:

I wallpapered a couple of sections of a boat in hessian years ago, it was fine and lasted years but absorbed the smell of tobacco smoke which was horrible when I gave up smoking.

We did this on our pair when they were fitted out for hotel boating 4 seasons & when the boats were put up for sale still in A1 condition 

Edited by X Alan W

7 hours ago, dor said:

Seen a few vinyl-wrapped boats.   One was done in a zebra print - very distinctive!  There is, or used to be, one on the Bridgewater advertising a marina development.  Seen a couple of others around that were done for advertising.

It shouldn't be any more difficult than doing a van and should last just as well.

Surly just like a good paint job its all down to preparation, most vans the paintwork could be considered perfect when wrapped I am not sure that would be true even with a new Narrowboat.

If the boat is one you like wallpaper shouldn't put you off, however I would suggest you take a good look around all the windows. If a boat is going to leak it will be around the Windows due to the metal expanding and contracting in the sun, here is where you will notice evidence of water getting behind the wallpaper and peeling away.

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

If the boat is one you like wallpaper shouldn't put you off, however I would suggest you take a good look around all the windows. If a boat is going to leak it will be around the Windows due to the metal expanding and contracting in the sun, here is where you will notice evidence of water getting behind the wallpaper and peeling away.

But bear in mind that most leaks from windows will go down behind the lining, and possibly the insulation (and may not reappear for several feet).  The usual source of water staining the window surrounds and cabin sides is from condensation, which would of course affect a wallpaper lining.

11 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Can you give us any idea of what it would cost?

Just been in touch with him and suffice to say a ballpark figure would be about 2k depending on exactly your spec. :D

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just been in touch with him and suffice to say a ballpark figure would be about 2k depending on exactly your spec. :D

I was talking to a chap last year who had his done. I think he quoted that kind of figure

Iirc didnt include the roof. Looked pretty good, but I didn't like the joins. Still cheaper than a professional repaint. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I was talking to a chap last year who had his done. I think he quoted that kind of figure

Iirc didnt include the roof. Looked pretty good, but I didn't like the joins. Still cheaper than a professional repaint. 

Yes to be clear about this Dan didnt have the roof done that was painted seperately. I think the benefits are the down time is only two days rather than say 2weeks or a month for painting and it is rather a lot cheaper. It looks good. The initial job left the boat with seams that didnt match perfectly but the blokes came back and replaced some bits and it does look good.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes to be clear about this Dan didnt have the roof done that was painted seperately. I think the benefits are the down time is only two days rather than say 2weeks or a month for painting and it is rather a lot cheaper. It looks good. The initial job left the boat with seams that didnt match perfectly but the blokes came back and replaced some bits and it does look good.

If only they did it in Annie Sloane "old white" chalk paint colours.