Breakfast in America - World Canals Conference

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I've been invited to speak on canal restoration at the World Canals Conference (a quiet "Woohoo!" is in order!) - September this year, Syracuse, New York. The conference is for about four days but we are looking to go for longer, somewhere between two and three weeks, and add in, amongst other things, a trip to Bethel Heritage Center, home to the original Woodstock festival,  which is a couple of hundred miles away, two radio music hosts could hardly not go there. Niagara falls not too far either, but in the other direction

Clearly, the Erie canal will feature large in the plans, and we have plenty of other ideas, so as well as suggestions of where to go we're looking for practical tips. I assume hiring a car is the way to go, but where would folks suggest we fly into and out of? (Needn't be the same place) - does it get complicated if we fly into or out of Canada rather than the US? If we wanted to go to NY City I guess a car isn't a good idea - does park and ride exist as a concept?  Is it still viable to just drive and find motels at one's destination?

Does the concept of "Open Mic" exist in America, if we want to play anywhere? (For "We" read Sara....) 

I last went to America in 2001, I last went to NY state in 1996, so I'm guessing things will have changed but perhaps not that much. We're both British Citizens BTW. 

Congratulations on being invited to speak at the conference - woohoo (quietly)

I've been several times to the New England area, it's a beautiful part of the country.

I once flew into Toronto, never again! I had to do Canadian customs/immigration on landing, walk down a corridor to get my Boston flight then do US customs/immigration, a real pain when you're tired, hot & feeling very hassled. Can't recommend that way to get to US. Can recommend "upgrading" on Virgin, better seats, better food/drinks, better baggage allowance.

If you mean Bethel, Maine I drove there from western Mass some years ago. Took my time lots of trees. Lots. Many places just to stop & look. Got roadside motels no prob, one did put me in mind of Psycho though!

North Conway NH is worth a visit good scenery & retail therapy for those who require it, some sort of tax concession in NH; no purchase tax or some such. Mount Washington also worth a visit, don't miss the cog railway.

Niagara is best viewed from the Canadian side , worth the trip but customs, immigration again. The town is very commercial these days but worth a day trip. Welland canal worth a look too.

I always went into NY City by bus, Greyhound, convenient & just something different. When flying from JFK I did it (the City) on my way home, there was left luggage (secure) at the bus depot & I could then get a bus or taxi to the airport. You would probably need to check the left luggage situation it may have changed after 9/11.

It's generally considered cheaper to book the hire car from UK, I always used Alamo & found then very good. I was spoiled really as mostly my pal, in Mass, would lend me his car for the duration. I would not contemplate driving in downtown NY. If you go there see if you can find the garment district, I got some great deals on winter clothes one time; when I said I would be over my allowance the guy offered to buy the coat I was wearing!

Hope this helps, enjoy.

HH

We have just returned from San Francisco, we paid 105 dollars for 3 days hotel parking and that was cheap (!). Car didn't move for 3 days as we used a 3 day pass for tour buses everywhere. Can't imagine that New York will be any cheaper and can't imagine that NY will be much fun to drive around. Eldest son and wife spent a week in NY this year and went everywhere by public transport. Alamo seemed to be ok for car hire. So far as practical tips goes we found food expensive so bought bread and cheese etc and made sandwiches for lunch and we bought a couple of boxes of cereals and milk for breakfast, used plastic cups and spoons in motel rooms. How can anyone eat fried bacon, reconstituted 'egg', 'cheese' 'meat' in a bun with syrup for breakfast?

2 hours ago, Bee said:

How can anyone eat fried bacon, reconstituted 'egg', 'cheese' 'meat' in a bun with syrup for breakfast?

And hash browns... and grits... and pancakes...

I used to spend a lot time in the Boston area with work.   One time my wife and young daughter can out to join me and we drove from Boston to Buffalo (via Syracuse) it is a very easy drive, the Mass Pike to the Albany area, then the New York Through Way.  That was in winter with deap snow, but despite following a snow plough for a lot of the way on the Through Way we did it in a day.

A car is essential in the US, but New York City would be the exception the that.  You could fly into Boston and come back from New York, and could turn in the rental car when you get to New York and then take the bus to the airport when you leave.

There are lots of hotels in the US and you can get good deals just walking in, we have done the in Florida a number of times.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

There are lots of hotels in the US and you can get good deals just walking in, we have done the in Florida a number of times.

I've done that too in Florida, California, Arizona and Nevada, but how about New York? Similar deal?

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I've done that too in Florida, California, Arizona and Nevada, but how about New York? Similar deal?

I would have said in New York City you want to have booked somewhere in advance, we certainly have the 2 times we have been there.  But in upstate New York you could try your luck.  In fact I think we did that at Niagara, but it was February, so not may people about in those temperatures.

15 hours ago, john6767 said:

I would have said in New York City you want to have booked somewhere in advance, we certainly have the 2 times we have been there.  But in upstate New York you could try your luck.  In fact I think we did that at Niagara, but it was February, so not may people about in those temperatures.

Ta :)  as I suspected. 

On 20/05/2017 at 11:03, magpie patrick said:

I've been invited to speak on canal restoration at the World Canals Conference (a quiet "Woohoo!" is in order!) 

I last went to America in 2001, I last went to NY state in 1996, so I'm guessing things will have changed but perhaps not that much. We're both British Citizens BTW. 

WooHoo Given!

Now just hope Mr Trump let's you take your laptop with you... An envelope full of acetates is good as a back up.

6 hours ago, 1st ade said:

WooHoo Given!

Now just hope Mr Trump let's you take your laptop with you... An envelope full of acetates is good as a back up.

Only if the venue has an overhead projector suited to acetates. 

I haven't seen one of those for years.

6 hours ago, 1st ade said:

WooHoo Given!

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Only if the venue has an overhead projector suited to acetates. 

I haven't seen one of those for years.

The conference have got that sorted! Some cloud type of arrangement and the paper and presentation will be uploaded before we leave the UK

I have recently had to give a presentation without the er, presentation after the conference centre's IT system blew a gasket