Internal length

Featured Posts

I have started drawing up some initial ideas for my boat once fine tuned a bit I will put them on here for your suggestions.  I want a 57 ft semi trad and am working on 42ft internal length.  Is this about right and is 57ft the length to go for?

Phil

Not sure how your going to determine the internal length on potential boats unless you are building it yourself or intend to measure them.

The boat length is personal and dependant on budget,hence the vast range of boat lengths available.

My 57' Simon Piper semi-trad is has a 42' internal cabin length and has pretty typical front cockpit, semitrad bit and counter lengths, so your initial assumption is reasonable for doing some first draft plans. I assume you are planning a new build. Best bet is to decide your boat builder first and go with their stated cabin length for detailed planning.

When drawing up plans, select the datum point from which distances are measured to be in the bedroom. A bedroom that is say 6" short when built is a problem as you lose wardrobe, or worse bed space. A living room, or galley at the other end of the boat that loses 6" from the overall cabin being shorter than expected isn't so much of a disaster.

57' length on a narrowboat will get you anywhere on the connected system without hassle. You can get a 60' narrow boat, not wide beam along the Calder and Hebble, but it involves going semi diagonal and on a couple of locks backwards to do. I did this canal travelling with a 60' boat and it was fun watching them do this. Question is, do you want to do all the connected system. Would you be happier handling a smaller boat instead. Cheaper moorings, build and maintenance cost. Only you can decide. Just seen your location as Bolton, so assume you are planning to be based in the north. In which case, 57' max length, possibly stretchd to 60' with the restriction above.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

24 minutes ago, jddevel said:

My Bourne Boats hull semi-trad sailaway that I`m currently fitting out is 15.735 mtrs. internal length but as advised above can vary slightly dependent on builder.

That's 51 ft what is the length of your boat ?

Our 45 ft trad sailaway had an internal cabin length of 30ft, that gave us 8ft for the bedroom, 6ft for bathroom, 6ft for kitchen & the rest saloon/lounge. (13 years later we had it stretched by 8ft to add a dinette to accommodate 2 grandchildren & their sleeping bags!)

Steve

It is said that everything on a boat is a compromise and its very true. One of the big compromises is internal space, especially for a liveaboard, against good looks (fine lines) and handling.  A longer front deck looks good and longer swims help a boat cut nicely through the water. Some boats maximise internal space by bringing the cabin right up to the front, even curving in at the front, pig ugly to my taste, but your boat, your decision.

A trad stern and a tug deck puts these concepts into focus.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have started drawing up some initial ideas for my boat once fine tuned a bit I will put them on here for your suggestions.  I want a 57 ft semi trad and am working on 42ft internal length.  Is this about right and is 57ft the length to go for?

Phil

If you have a builder for the shell in mind, then give them a call and ask what the internal dimensions are then you can work from that.

11 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

That's 51 ft what is the length of your boat

Whoops had a moment and hit the wrong key. 12.735mtrs. Sorry I know heck of a difference. I found that you started with the ideal and then following the realism of size started to compromise. Having said that with a good deal of lateral thinking it`s quite amazing what you can fit in. I like "playing" with wood so fancy ideas on dinette and "fixed seating" has helped me provide 6 berths - I`ve a big family and would like to spend more valuable time with them. We`ve a wetroom rather than the more traditional layouts. I am installing a Hideaway fold up bed so providing a second social space adjacent to the front deck. These are some of the ideas I`ve come up with.  

Don't forget to allow for the lining at each end of the boat. As said in a previous post, 6" can be a significant shortfall. My boat is 57' cruiser stern, but with a 10' back deck, and a standardish front cockpit and bow. The internal length after lining was 40'6"

I have a 57ft Liverpool semi trad with a 4ft well deck. Internal length is 42ft

So seems a fair starting point fir some planning

To be honest if I was starting over again I would keep the 57ft but drop the well deck and have a wrap around front giving 46ft internal length, downside of this is access to gas locker is a bit more difficult. Oh and I would have proper grip rails on the roof