honda 9.9 outboard throttle stalling/ cutting out problem

Featured Posts

hi. im haveing a problem with my honda 9.9 outboard on my boat. it fires up ok but as soon as i push the throttle above a quarter of the way forward or back it looses revs and stalls.  the problem arose when a friend of mine was driving and instead of gently putting it in reverse . rammed the throttle all the way back. since then its got so little revs i cannot even move the boat. any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, paulmag said:

hi. im haveing a problem with my honda 9.9 outboard on my boat. it fires up ok but as soon as i push the throttle above a quarter of the way forward or back it looses revs and stalls.  the problem arose when a friend of mine was driving and instead of gently putting it in reverse It may be just a coin. rammed the throttle all the way back. since then its got so little revs i cannot even move the boat. any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

It may have been just a coincidence.

The carburettor may/should/will have 2 jets ( an idle jet and a main jet), the engine runs at low (idle) revs on the fuel supplied by the Idle jet, once you 'open the throttle' the main jet comes into play - if there is a microscopic bit of 'muck' in the main jet you will get the symptoms you describe

Remove the main jet and blow it thru (backwards) with an airline (try to avoid poking bits of wire 'up-it' as you will enlarge the hole) - alternatively a good 'stroking' with a toothbrush may remove the blockage.

Blow thru (by mouth) and if it is clear then reassemble, it should now work - if it doesn't it has cost you "nowt 'cept an hours work" and you are no worse off.

16 minutes ago, paulmag said:

hi thanks for ur reply and help. any chance of a photo of the thing i need to take off n blow? been lookin on google but still not sure. sorry. 

Yow will have to dismantle/clean the jets in the carburettor. If you advise which outboard you have somebody may come up with a schematic

its a honda 9.9 short shaft. older model 

to be honest im no good with this kind of thing does anybody know an engineer who would come out to me? boat is currently moored in tottenham hale.

If it young enough to have electronic ignition make sure the electronic pack is well grounded to the engine. I also understand that these packs can cause problems but a motorcycle one has been used successfully at a much reduced cost. Do all the other checks before condemning the pack.