DodgyAreas

Drowsy Maggie

Featured Posts

I'd like to go through the centre of Brum, either Old Line or New Line, and stop over to watch Alarum Theatre's 'Idle Women' show. I've not stopped overnight in Birmingham before except in Gas St, which is well lit and busy so pretty safe. Are there any spots around Tipton, say, that I should avoid overnighting?

Edited by Drowsy Maggie

A bit vague for suggestion but on previous visits -

Black Country Living Museum and between the new and old main line there's an offside mooring belonging to a 'centre' where folks do moor. On the other side of the cut there are rings - but nobody uses them - strange.

The new mainline has the railway alongside most of the way but will be noisy...

Perhaps somebody with better knowledge will be along shortly...

1 hour ago, Drowsy Maggie said:

Succinct! Does 'nope' refer to just the Tipton / Dudley area, or the whole BCN?  How about Ladywood, for example? Thanks  :o)

Nope refers to Laurie being very naughty. Laurie has cruised Clarrie around a lot of the BCN and is usually a great ambassador for it

There are not many places where you will think 'that's a lovely place to moor' only to find you have trouble. There are also a lot of very good moorings that your normal common sense will reveal to you

I wonder where we will end up mooring on the evening of the 28th? Pervious years it has been The Manor Arms, next to New Invention, on the Main Line in the middle of Wednesbury, Walsall basin and a whole load of improbably places

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I wonder where we will end up mooring on the evening of the 28th? Pervious years it has been The Manor Arms, next to New Invention, on the Main Line in the middle of Wednesbury, Walsall basin and a whole load of improbably places

Richard

Are you doing the BCN 48hr Challenge then Richard?

2 hours ago, Drowsy Maggie said:

I'd like to go through the centre of Brum, either Old Line or New Line, and stop over to watch Alarum Theatre's 'Idle Women' show. I've not stopped overnight in Birmingham before except in Gas St, which is well lit and busy so pretty safe. Are there any spots around Tipton, say, that I should avoid overnighting?

I think it works the other way round largely on the BCN i.e. where are the places to moor rather than where are those not to.

Anywhere in Birmingham City Centre is fine but between there and Tipton there are lots of places you could moor but I would suggest very few you would choose to moor at. I believe there is a single visitor mooring at the end of the Engine Arm in Smethwick which would be my choice if I wasn't going directly between Brum and Tipton (which given it's about 4 hours is what I would be doing).

At Tipton the moorings are where Dave Payne highlights (Tipton Green on the Old Main Line), at the BCLM itself which is behind a BWB padlocked gate, and if they are full boats often moor between the Dudley Road and Birmingham Road bridges on the Dudley No 1.

JP

We've moored on the rings outside the new-ish flats on the towpath side, opposite the "John the lock" moorings at Tipton, with no problem and very quiet. I probably wouldn't want to leave the boat unattended there for a long period, but overnight seems fine. I think it's a bit like Windmill End, when there is an annual boating festival/rally the natives get used to boats - they become humanised - and don't think they are something odd to be vandalised.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

We've moored on the rings outside the new-ish flats on the towpath side, opposite the "John the lock" moorings at Tipton, with no problem and very quiet. I probably wouldn't want to leave the boat unattended there for a long period, but overnight seems fine. I think it's a bit like Windmill End, when there is an annual boating festival/rally the natives get used to boats - they become humanised - and don't think they are something odd to be vandalised.

That's the one  and which D.P. pointed to I forgot John the lock. We spent the night there 2 -3 years ago and it was relatively quiet. I don't know why the other side got a reputation. 

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We've moored on the rings outside the new-ish flats on the towpath side, opposite the "John the lock" moorings at Tipton, with no problem and very quiet. I probably wouldn't want to leave the boat unattended there for a long period, but overnight seems fine.  

We always moor there if we want to stop in that area as its a lot quieter than BCLM moorings road traffic wise. There are always boats moored opposite so never managed to get that side. Nice pint of mild in the Fountain pub.

If Laurie says something then it's good enough for me.

He is intelligent enough to understand that the question is so subjective that his answer will be too, however will be accurate more often than not.

20 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Excellent moorings better than the Black Country Museum.

Quite agree

20 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Is the Fountain still good with the new owners/management? I'm going there during the Challenge.

Not a regular so didn't know it had changed, I nipped in and bought a couple of pints while Diana was getting a Take a Way meal and took them back to the boat

• 5 weeks later...