Short term moorings K&A

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, ianali said:

Looking to leave our 58 foot NB for a few days in a marina type environment end of May. Any suggestions please? Anywhere between Pewsey and Cain Hill flight area. Cheers Ian.

You could try Devizes Marina, they usuall seem to have a few vacant spaces.  http://devizesmarina.com/moorings.php

I suppose I must ask - why 'a marina type environment'? Having CC'd that section for many years there are a number of places that are good for up to the 14 day max. But if you are looking for more than the 14 day (or a tad more if you want to bend it a bit) then, yes, the only marina between Pewsey and Caen Hill Top Lock is Devizes Marina.

If less than 14 days:

Wilcot SU143614 beside the road is good, you can usually park somewhere along the lane by the canal and the walk to the station is easy if you need it.

Honey Street can be a bit busy.

All Cannings SU078622 is OK

Part way down (before Top Lock at ST995615) on the opposite side from the Black Horse (or is it White Horse) pub can be OK too.

We have used all of these on many occasions.

Try Ladies Bridge moorings at Wilcot, moorings at top of Caen Hill flight, Pewsey Boat club, moorings at the Waterfront pub Pewsey, Moonraker boats Honey Street. Contact details should be on CRT website and t'Internet. 

Edited by Guest
Fat finger syndrome

6 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

They can take your money and put you on the off side of the canal against their land but not actually in the marina.

:(

Curious. I find those 'on-line' moorings many marinas have just outside the entrance far more attractive than the cramped 'caravan site' feel you get moored inside the marina!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious. I find those 'on-line' moorings many marinas have just outside the entrance far more attractive than the cramped 'caravan site' feel you get moored inside the marina!

Remember this is the K&A, Clarrie was tied to a tree and my plank was too short to reach the boat, so I had to climb the tree and lower myself onto the rear deck.

14 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Remember this is the K&A, Clarrie was tied to a tree and my plank was too short to reach the boat, so I had to climb the tree and lower myself onto the rear deck.

Ah I see. Agreed, pretty poor form for a yard taking money to moor yer bote. 

I've only been along that part of the K&A once (two months ago), but it didn't feel like a hotbed of crime to me. If I owned a boat I'd be happy to moor it online for a few days anywhere practical along there, which being the K&A means lots of places if you have somebody fit on the crew plus a decent gangplank and mooring pins, otherwise hardly anywhere.

We went into Devizes marina for an urgently needed pumpout, and what with lots of boats being moored just outside the marina there and another on the inside, it was a bit of a performance getting close enough for their hose to reach. But the staff were helpful and after a bit of boat shuffling we got in.