How Slow is Slow past moored boats?

D. W. Walker

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

That sounds like me, staring out of the window, wishing it was me, I like travelling when it is dark!

Completely agree, in the dark and winter if poss :D

5 hours ago, rowland al said:

We passed a hire boat slowly the other day and a woman came running out saying we nearly spilt her tea.

Moral of the story, don't tie your boat just with the centre line if you want to avoid excessive rock'n'roll.

I hope you offered her some Tips.

Noticing more boats are using the centre line as a third mooring point this year .Which TV programme has this come from ?

Edited by b0atman

49 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

It has to be remembered that slowing down and going slow are not necessarily the same things. 

Very true especialy in such as Concorde!! :D

Some years ago on the Wey, in the middle of the day we passed, at what I thought was a suitably slow speed, a boat moored loosely to pins in the towpath.

But as we passed it, first the stern, then the bow of the boat drifted out from the bank towards us, dragging ropes and pins in the water. Then HE emerged from the back doors, still pulling his clothes on, while SHE came out of the front doors doing the same.

I guess they were in too much of a hurry to tie up properly!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

Noticing more boats are using the centre line as a third mooring point this year .Which TV programme has this come from ?

It's CaRT's fault for putting the rings too close together, and the hire company's fault for providing a centre rope.  

Widebeams, bow thrusters, boats called 'Meander' etc...

None of these even come close to the abomination that is the 'Please pass at tickover' sign. You can do what you want with your boat but please don't be so presumptuous to tell me what to do with mine.

I always slow down by an appropriate amount for the circumstances but literally tickover would be a step too far.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm fortunate enough to have an engine that runs at 500rpm full chat. 

Whatever speed I go past, it sounds like I'm on tickover...

I'm intrigued Mike. What engine is that then?

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The white Please pass at Tickover warning inside a red circle magnetic stickers fit perfectly on the front CANT  of Hudsons.

Lots of them have at least one.

I said cant

Wash your mouth out Matty.

And don't say "Hudson" again.

Just now, AllanC said:

I'm intrigued Mike. What engine is that then?

A somewhat overpropped Kelvin K1

:)

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

The white Please pass at Tickover warning inside a red circle magnetic stickers fit perfectly on the front CANT  of Hudsons.

Lots of them have at least one.

I said cant

Funnily enough, I've never seen a Hudson with that sort of sticker. But then I don't routinely hallucinate.

Edited by nicknorman

12 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

In the days of working boats there was none of this, there was a job to do, although in fairness there was probably little offside mooring then, and certainly no residential.

There might not have been any of this, but nowadays we don't start hammering hell out of each other while arguing over whose boat passed the marker first heading towards the lock.  Butties didn't have the name of the boat painted on the tiller for no reason, it ensured you went home with the right one.

In the days of long distance narrow boats weren't they all residential?

26 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

There might not have been any of this, but nowadays we don't start hammering hell out of each other while arguing over whose boat passed the marker first heading towards the lock.  Butties didn't have the name of the boat painted on the tiller for no reason, it ensured you went home with the right one.

In the days of long distance narrow boats weren't they all residential?

Didn't read properly.

Edited by Ray T

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I find it very simple. I always pass all boats at tickover however many there are in the line. Only exeption is if its blowing a hooley and need some power on to keep from whacking the boats. I always tie my boat up tight so when crap boaters storm past me I dont get bashed about but I pride myself on not needing to be that crap.

In total agreement with you on this, I think my tickover (according to the Tachometer) is about 1000 revs and carries me at a bit less than 1mph. If windy I'll run at probably 1300 revs (slightly over 1mph), but since they are probably already being buffeted by the wind I don't think it makes much difference to moored boat.

When I moor up in an ideal location (armco) I now use a short piece of rope permanently attached to a 'nappy pin' as a spring. With it I can moor the stern in seconds then go and sort out the bow line. When finally moored I have the bow line leading forward to a chain, the stern line leading aft to a chain and this short spring rope attached to the stern bollard leading forwards. Feel free to come past me at whatever speed you wish, the boat wont move more that a couple of inches forwards or back.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm fortunate enough to have an engine that runs at 500rpm full chat. 

Whatever speed I go past, it sounds like I'm on tickover...

The one I had In my motor boat produced similar revs it, also had a fairly loud exhaust note, toward the end of my carrying days as leisure boats were getting thicker on the water the shouting "SLOW DOWN" occurred more often.I had slowed as much as i could & the swill from the deep draft was causing the water movement My get out clause was to hopefully look at them blankly & cup my hand around my ear & pointing toward the exhaust stack One time I heard a guy say to his mate. It's no good shouting he appears to be as deaf as he is f*****g blind  to which I replied " Lucky I didn't bump you then" as they say on the master card advert the look on their faces " Priceless"

• Greenie 1