how to register a boat

kevoisier

Featured Posts

ive just purchased {12 months ago } a 12 year old boat from a friend who bought a sailaway  moved it to a mooring then fitted it out  {boats never moved}

this took 12 years  and in all this time no bsc  has been aquired or has the boat never been registered

i want to get  a bsc  but without reg plates i carnt 

ive tried  google and been to the gov site which says you must register but then gives a link to licence the boat 

can any of you friendly people put me in the correct direction please 

Edited by kevoisier

Just phone C&RT and tell them, pay them your (I think) £25* by card and they will send you new 'registration plates' within a few days.

Alternatively fill out a form with boat dimension details, RCD number etc etc. and post it to C&RT,

*It was £25 a couple of years ago when I did ours.

We are assuming that you will be keeping the boat based on CaRT waters. A reasonable assumption. If it is going to be based on Environment Agency, Bridgewater Canal, Norfolk Broads, or other waters, then you need to go to the appropriate navigation authority, who'll tell you the process. As the others have said, CaRT is pretty simple. Boats are first time registered, or are re-registered from one authority to another all the time. A boating neighbour recently changed a broads authority registered boat to CaRT. It was pretty simple to do. Once he had a CaRT index number he could get a BSS inspection done.

Jenny

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you will need a BSS certificate to licence it as well as insurance

To licence a registered boat yes. You need BSC and insurance up to date. To first register a boat before licencing it, no. Otherwise you'd be in a catch 22. No BSC because you don't have an index number. No index number 'cause you don't have a BSC. One registered they give you some wriggle room to have a BSC sorted out. With a new boat with either a full RCD certificate, or a 1 year sailaway partial certificate, no BSC is needed for the first year. In this case, with an older boat never registered with an authority that uses the boat safety scheme, the originator needs to talk to the CaRT licencing people. They seem to be helpful and accommodating as long as you aren't taking the mick.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

When I did mine I got the BSS done while it was in a field here in Suffolk, likewise the insurance was upgraded from fit out to being used. This was before I registered it with CRT/BW I then registered/licensed it in one shot

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

To licence a registered boat yes. You need BSC and insurance up to date. To first register a boat before licencing it, no. Otherwise you'd be in a catch 22. No BSC because you don't have an index number. No index number 'cause you don't have a BSC. One registered they give you some wriggle room to have a BSC sorted out. With a new boat with either a full RCD certificate, or a 1 year sailaway partial certificate, no BSC is needed for the first year. In this case, with an older boat never registered with an authority that uses the boat safety scheme, the originator needs to talk to the CaRT licencing people. They seem to be helpful and accommodating as long as you aren't taking the mick.

Jen

I think your confusing him with RCD,  the boat is obviously not finished, no BSS, not registered or licensed. We don't know if he has bought an unfinished project which it sounds like or a finished boat according to the seller. First thing he needs to do is to get a BSS and the examiner will advise. Is the boat on the water and if so where?

Edited by PD1964

According to his previous Thread he has been living on the boat at Shardlow for a year, 

This puzzles me, how can a Marina let a boat have moorings without a BSS, Insurance and a registered number? I take it Shardlow is a non CaRT Marina? Seems quite irresponsible from the Marina especially towards the other Moorers who are complying with the regulations regarding licensing.

Anyone else on here moored at Shardlow apart from the OP? Have you all no license, No BSS, No Insurance? I find this hard to believe.

Edited by PD1964

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

According to his previous Thread he has been living on the boat at Shardlow for a year, 

This puzzles me, how can a Marina let a boat have moorings without a BSS, Insurance and a registered number? I take it Shardlow is a non CaRT Marina? Seems quite irresponsible from the Marina especially towards the other Moorers who are complying with the regulations regarding licensing.

Anyone else on here moored at Shardlow apart from the OP? Have you all no license, No BSS, No Insurance? I find this hard to believe.

its on a fitout pontoon  im not effecting anybodys boat the boat has had a pre bss and is fully insured

Edited by kevoisier

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just phone C&RT and tell them, pay them your (I think) £25* by card and they will send you new 'registration plates' within a few days.

Alternatively fill out a form with boat dimension details, RCD number etc etc. and post it to C&RT,

*It was £25 a couple of years ago when I did ours.

very help full thank you very much

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

thank you this all makes sense  

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

There is the marina on the RIVER just below the Trent Bridge at Shardlow.  I doubt CaRT regulations etc. apply there because its not on the main navigable channel. If so I expect the marina only requires third party insurance.

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

You don't need a BSSC to get insurance. Most (all ?) marinas will require 3rd party insurance - many marinas do not require a BSS or even a C&RT licence.

Examples of a 'couple' of our 'local ones' : Newark Marina, Colwick Maina, Shardlow Marina, Shobnal Marina.

You don't need a BSSC to get 'registered' either. (Unless its changed in the last couple of years)