Correct gas hose for cooker

Featured Posts

Hi I'm ordering parts for my engineer for an installation. We'll be fitting a thetford triplex 700 built in cooker. The manual says it has a 0.8mm gas connection?

We'll be coming off 3/8 pipe. I was planning on using a flexi hose for final part but is this neccesary?   anyone fitted this cooker?

thanks !  

Actually, the manual says the inlet is 8mm, it does not say 0.8.  It starts with an O with a line through it. \phi \,\!  - it means diameter.

Also, 'The appliance MUST be connected using metal pipe manufactured from either copper, seam welded steel, seamless steel or stainless steel, which complies to the requirements of EN1949. Rubber tubing MUST NOT be used.'

Edited by mross
  • Greenie 1

Great thanks very much, I thought 0.8mm was a bit wacky.

It's a small cooker so 8 sounds much more feasible.   I didn't mean rubber pipe per se but a designated cooker lpg hose although maybe more suitable correct copper directly here?  The cooker is fixed and access behind is possible.

So if we are to connect direct, we'll need to step down or tee off the 8mm pipe and connect with a compression fitting possibly?

cheers   .  Ed

sorry I mistyped.   Step down or tee off from the 3/8 pipe to 8mm

43 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Great thanks very much, I thought 0.8mm was a bit wacky.

It's a small cooker so 8 sounds much more feasible.   I didn't mean rubber pipe per se but a designated cooker lpg hose although maybe more suitable correct copper directly here?  The cooker is fixed and access behind is possible.

So if we are to connect direct, we'll need to step down or tee off the 8mm pipe and connect with a compression fitting possibly?

cheers   .  Ed

sorry I mistyped.   Step down or tee off from the 3/8 pipe to 8mm

Yes, 3/8 to 8mm with a compression fitting, i did the same but to a 10mm fitting on my hob.

Used these for parts.

https://www.hoses.co.uk/adaptors-and-fittings/wade-imperial-brass-compression-fittings

But have a google around for wade fittings, i actually went into my local camping shop for something a couple of weeks ago and noted they were selling the fittings with pipe, if you cant find the 3/8 to 8mm then give me a shout and ill pop back in and have a look, i think it was cheaper than the site i used also.

5/16 is nigh on 8mm, so a 3/8 to 5/16 imperial reducing compression could be used (wade 4048/5)

If you need to buy more 8mm tube you'll probably struggle to find it in the required thickness of 0.8mm or more,  but again 5/16th tube can be substituted and is available in 20SWG thickness/0.9mm which is plenty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-pipe-soft-annealed-1m-length-x-20-gauge-choose-diameter-M2x-M-/112197212200

Nevertheless the gas bod should ideally source all the correct bits (even if you buy and supply them to his requirements), that way if there's issues down the responsibility is all his and there's no wriggle room.

ETA:

Edited by smileypete

10 minutes ago, smileypete said:

5/16 is nigh on 8mm, so a 3/8 to 5/16 imperial reducing compression could be used (wade 4048/5)

If you need to buy more 8mm tube you'll probably struggle to find it in the required thickness of 0.8mm or more,  but again 5/16th tube can be substituted and is available in 20SWG thickness/0.9mm which is plenty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-pipe-soft-annealed-1m-length-x-20-gauge-choose-diameter-M2x-M-/112197212200

Nevertheless the gas bod should ideally source all the correct bits (even if you buy and supply them to his requirements), that way if there's issues down the responsibility is all his and there's no wriggle room.

ETA:

Point of order - The BSS does not specify a wall thickness, and the BS EN ISO 10239:2014 which does specify thickness requires 0.6mm wall thickness upto 12mm external diameter.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Point of order - The BSS does not specify a wall thickness, and the BS EN ISO 10239:2014 which does specify thickness requires 0.6mm wall thickness upto 12mm external diameter.

So have specs changed since 2010? I guess they must have if what you say is correct. It contradicts this post from way back: 

15 hours ago, mross said:

'The appliance MUST be connected using metal pipe manufactured from either copper, seam welded steel, seamless steel or stainless steel, which complies to the requirements of EN1949. Rubber tubing MUST NOT be used.'

Now I`m concerned. A qualified Gas Safe marine gas installer completed the installation with the final connection with a flexible - I assume gas certified rubber-pipe. The cooker whilst free standing has two chains which fix the cooker to the bulkhead. It was inspected recently during my fit out by a BSS surveyor who stated that all was correct and that the cooker had to be moveable in order to carry out any inspections of connections at a later date. It`s this sort of confusion that has made my fit out difficult with differing views. I would add that I know in a house a ridged pipe is now compulsory as apposed to the flexible pipe we used for years.

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Now I`m concerned.

Don't be. It can't possibly make any difference to the appliance how the gas is delivered to it. If the connections are secure with no leaks then the flex that the installer has used is fine and, as you've already been informed, complies with BSS regs. 

Can you phone Thetford for an explanation?  I recently had a big, gas range fitted in my house and that was installed, per the maker's instructions, with a bayonet fitting, shut-off valve and a flexible hose.  I'm sorry if I have caused you any worry but I quoted the manual.  Maybe their inlet connection is not designed to take the weight or stiffness of a hose?

27 minutes ago, mross said:

Can you phone Thetford for an explanation?  I recently had a big, gas range fitted in my house and that was installed, per the maker's instructions, with a bayonet fitting, shut-off valve and a flexible hose.  I'm sorry if I have caused you any worry but I quoted the manual.  Maybe their inlet connection is not designed to take the weight or stiffness of a hose?

Many boat stoves can be on a gimble for sailboat use so have to use a flexible hose.

58 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I think the BSS is not talking about the bayonet hose, I think it it means the orange very flexible tubing that can easily be misused?

But this isn't confusion resulting from BSS regs, it's confusion resulting from the stove installation instructions. I'll be interested to hear the manufacturer's rationale for the statement. 

When we bought our new spinflo I don't recall reading the instructions. I just removed the existing hose and took the stove and hose over to the chandlery and said "Give me something that makes this fit this."  BSS inspector was happy and the stove worked fine.