sterling marina power

kevoisier

Featured Posts

Good morning all 

ive bought my self a boat  and need a bit of information about my inverter

if anybody can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated

i live on board {just over  a year now}  im in a marina so i have shore power,  but its time for me to get out on the cut 

im looking at getting some leisure batteries 

my problem is  i carnt find any information about the inverter i have 

does anybody know where i can download the instruction manual for my model {i carnt see any product numbers on it}

i have attached a pic  

sterling.jpg

Edited by kevoisier

From the max output label by the socket it woll deliver up to 3000 W approximately. That is a 12 V current of at least 250 A so IMO needing at least 400 Ah of domestic battery and probably more if you want to use it a lot.

What sort of battery is up to you, but the usual recommendation is to buy cheapo open lead acids and see if you can look after them. If all is good think about some Trojans for a subsequent set.

Do a 250V power audit to size the onverter batteries.

N

24 minutes ago, mross said:

Phone them up on that number and quote the ratings ie the voltage and current for the inverter part and again for the charger.  They will be able to send you a manual.  Or go to their website https://sterling-power.com/pages/instruction-manuals

Can you take an in-focus photo of the volts and amps listed on the label?

thank you for your reply  i will bell them later 

sterling 1.jpg

sterling2.jpg

Hi kevoisier

That's not just an inverter you have but a combined battery charger and inverter traditionally known as a Combi.  It's quite an old one, could be 15 years or more so little chance of finding a manual on-line although as suggested Sterling may be able to help.

The info from pictures indicates the multi-stage charger can supply up to 65 amps to a 12 volt battery bank when mains/shore power is available, whilst also passing through the mains supply to your on board sockets. The inverter part produces 240 volts AC from your batteries to the same sockets. The rating converted to watts would be a max of around 1200 watts although probably not a pure sine wave so may cause hum powering a TV.

Beware that most Combi's automatically switch over to inverter when the shore power is lost, to maintain the 240 volt AC supply to sockets. Sounds very convenient but if the meter runs out or the shore power is tripped the batteries will be drained providing the AC, possibly without you knowing!

After buying batteries, make sure charger is set to match their type. Suggest at least three typical 105 amp hour leisure batteries wired in parallel.

1 hour ago, kevoisier said:

ive bought my self a boat  and need a bit of information about my inverter

I guess you are aware, but just to remind you.

Whilst in the marina you have probably had a 16 amp 220v supply and been able to power pretty much anything you want / need.

You will need to be much more 'savvy' and economical when powering 220v items from the inverter.

Forget that sticker "13 amps".

The output of the inverter is 1500Va which is (probably) effectively around 1300 watts (around 5.5 amps)

You will be able to power (for example) a 1000w (1kw) camping electric kettle, but you will not be able to power a 2000w (2Kw) domestic kettle.

You can power a twin-tub washing machine, but you cannot power an 'automatic' washing machine.

Have a look at the 'labels' on all your electrical equipment and look for the 'watts' rating. If it is under 1300w then you should be 'good to go' EXCEPT some appliances (with motors) ie vacuum cleaner, fridge etc have a high start up demand.

Things like microwaves will need at least 2x the rated power, so a 850 microwave will need at least an 1800w inverter (and maybe more)

Different types of inverter produce different 'standards' of mains electricity, some produce a 'modified wave form', some produce a 'pure wave form'.

Some electrical / electronic equipment will not function with a 'modified wave form' - can you identify which type yours is ?

23 minutes ago, mross said:

As it seems to be an older manual its manual is not on their website.  Did you see their new phone number  (0)1905 771771

thank you for the number

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess you are aware, but just to remind you.

Whilst in the marina you have probably had a 16 amp 220v supply and been able to power pretty much anything you want / need.

You will need to be much more 'savvy' and economical when powering 220v items from the inverter.

Forget that sticker "13 amps".

The output of the inverter is 1500Va which is (probably) effectively around 1300 watts (around 5.5 amps)

You will be able to power (for example) a 1000w (1kw) camping electric kettle, but you will not be able to power a 2000w (2Kw) domestic kettle.

You can power a twin-tub washing machine, but you cannot power an 'automatic' washing machine.

Have a look at the 'labels' on all your electrical equipment and look for the 'watts' rating. If it is under 1300w then you should be 'good to go' EXCEPT some appliances (with motors) ie vacuum cleaner, fridge etc have a high start up demand.

Things like microwaves will need at least 2x the rated power, so a 850 microwave will need at least an 1800w inverter (and maybe more)

Different types of inverter produce different 'standards' of mains electricity, some produce a 'modified wave form', some produce a 'pure wave form'.

Some electrical / electronic equipment will not function with a 'modified wave form' - can you identify which type yours is ?

all information rearly appreciated thank you 

im hoping to identify what type my is once i can find a manual 

24 minutes ago, by'eck said:

Hi kevoisier

That's not just an inverter you have but a combined battery charger and inverter traditionally known as a Combi.  It's quite an old one, could be 15 years or more so little chance of finding a manual on-line although as suggested Sterling may be able to help.

The info from pictures indicates the multi-stage charger can supply up to 65 amps to a 12 volt battery bank when mains/shore power is available, whilst also passing through the mains supply to your on board sockets. The inverter part produces 240 volts AC from your batteries to the same sockets. The rating converted to watts would be a max of around 1200 watts although probably not a pure sine wave so may cause hum powering a TV.

Beware that most Combi's automatically switch over to inverter when the shore power is lost, to maintain the 240 volt AC supply to sockets. Sounds very convenient but if the meter runs out or the shore power is tripped the batteries will be drained providing the AC, possibly without you knowing!

After buying batteries, make sure charger is set to match their type. Suggest at least three typical 105 amp hour leisure batteries wired in parallel.

big thanks for this info  very helpfull    {not sure how to set charger just yet  still working on it