BSS fail?

Gareth E

Featured Posts

Fair enough. I do wonder though why I'm allowed to have a neoprene? fuel line fairly close to the condemned fuel filter bung. The area of the plastic fuel line would probably be 30 or 40 times that of the bung. 30 or 40 times more likely to catch fire then, should a fire start in the engine bay. Doesn't immediately smack of common sense and logic. 

8 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Because he can't tell the difference between a car and a boat...

Is he a boat mechanic?  I got  the impression he was a car mechanic. 

Maybe hes a unicorn mechanic. 

Edited by rusty69

21 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

I can ride a horse pretty good, so I guess the same principles apply for a unicorn!? If not, that's stupid! Stupid unicorns not knowing how to be ridden! 

When riding a unicorn, make sure to grasp it firmly by the horn 

7 hours ago, Gareth E said:

I do wonder though why I'm allowed to have a neoprene? fuel line fairly close to the condemned fuel filter bung.

I don't believe you are. 

2.2.3 and 2.10:

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Is he a boat mechanic?  I got  the impression he was a car mechanic. 

So by what authority does he expound on boat safety issues?

Edited by WotEver

BSs is like the mot, a basic sensible safety test swamped with trivial irrelevancies to keep the boys employed. The IEE is working on the 18th edition of electrical installation regs, are they really so utterly incompetent they have had 17 goes and still not got it right? Or is it just a nice earner?

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Perhaps  im reading it wrong, but im not sure he did. 

You are correct - he purely stated that if he 'rocked up' with his car for an MOT, a plastic plug would not be an issue.

I see no comment from the mechanic regarding the 'complexities' of the BSS

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

You are correct - he purely stated that if he 'rocked up' with his car for an MOT, a plastic plug would not be an issue.

I see no comment from the mechanic regarding the 'complexities' of the BSS

Thats how I read it, so thought it a bit harsh to call the chap a goon. Unless hes Neddie seagoon:o

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

The IEE is working on the 18th edition of electrical installation regs, are they really so utterly incompetent they have had 17 goes and still not got it right? Or is it just a nice earner?

Do rhetorical questions require a response? ;)

10 hours ago, andyb116 said:

Your spot on meanderingviking, if it's the genuine vetus filter p/No STM3690 it will pass, the one thing with the vetus 2 pots is that some had mechanical fuel pumps and have to be manually bled after removing the filter.if it's a Baldwin filter, they come with a plastic drain plug.

I have the red Baldwin filter replacement for the STM3690 and it definitely has a metal drain plug.  It does look a bit plasticky, but is metal.   It is possible that older ones had a plastic plug, or a plastic cover to the plug,  I have a vague memory of looking at some in a chandlery and thinking that it wouldn't pass.  96% of Vetus engines go into lumpy water craft, so Baldwin may not have know of the requirement but perhaps they have now updated.

I can confirm that the Vetus 3690 plug is metal with a plastic cover.

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

BSs is like the mot, a basic sensible safety test swamped with trivial irrelevancies to keep the boys employed. The IEE is working on the 18th edition of electrical installation regs, are they really so utterly incompetent they have had 17 goes and still not got it right? Or is it just a nice earner?

First edition of wiring regs was issued in 1882.

There have been several safety related inventions since then,  plus a lot of experience of why things went wrong. All of which are incorporated into subsequent editions :D