Invertor/charger drawing too much current from generator

robind187

Featured Posts

I have a Sterling Combi S invertor/charger to charge our batteries from the engine when moving. I have just bought a second-hand Honda EU20i generator (2kW) as a back-up for charging the batteries. The generator starts up ok, but when I have let it run for a minute then connect it up to the invertor/charger using a fly lead socket converter and a fly lead it charges for a couple of mins at 70A then the generator starts struggling, pulsing then cuts out. I have read that the 70A continuous draw may be too much for this generator. Is there a way to limit the current coming into a Sterling Combi S inverter/charger? I can't see anything in the manual about this. Thanks in advance

70A is only around 1kw and so shouldn't be a problem for the genny. It sounds to me more like a fuel starvation issue - when the genny is working hard it is pulling more fuel through and perhaps not enough can flow, or the tank vent is blocked and a vacuum develops in the tanks. From an electrical point of view, if the engine can run the genny for 2 mins it should be able to do so indefinitely. If the electrics were overloading they would just cut out, without making the engine run badly.

Edited by nicknorman

To add to the suggestions try fresh fuel if the existing has been standing around for long.

A way to confirm the genny is at fault could be to try running a 1500W heater (just under the max 1600W load.)

If the charger is running near max output eg 70A, some chargers need a much bigger geny due to 'poor power factor' but that doesn't sound like the case here.

• Greenie 1

I've re-checked my maths and 70A at 13ish volts should only be 910W, so the generator should be able to handle that, no? Fresh fuel is a good suggestion as it may have been sitting around for a while. The air filter looked clean but the pre filter was missing. Is cleaning the fuel filter worth a try? I see there's a 15-minute tutorial for how to do that on YouTube.

7 minutes ago, robind187 said:

I've re-checked my maths and 70A at 13ish volts should only be 910W, so the generator should be able to handle that, no? Fresh fuel is a good suggestion as it may have been sitting around for a while. Is cleaning the fuel filter worth a try? I see there's a 15-minute tutorial for how to do that on YouTube.

There is a thing called Power Factor which means that extracting 910w out of a mains supply can use a lot more than a voltage and current product that gives 910w. However unless the Sterling unit is a complete pile of junk it will have "active power factor control" which will keep the power factor near unity, thus the genny should easily be able to cope.

If it starts and runs OK under load for 2 mins, I doubt the issue is old fuel.

Yes as I said before, it sounds like a fuel starvation issue, check and clean the fuel filter. Also even though you say the air admittance valve is open, might be worth trying it with the fuel tank cap loosened right off and/or check that the valve isn't blocked.

Edited by nicknorman

5 minutes ago, robind187 said:

I've re-checked my maths and 70A at 13ish volts should only be 910W, so the generator should be able to handle that, no? Fresh fuel is a good suggestion as it may have been sitting around for a while. The air filter looked clean but the pre filter was missing. Is cleaning the fuel filter worth a try? I see there's a 15-minute tutorial for how to do that on YouTube.

But - you are not allowing for the Power Factor.

When I was looking to replace a battery charger I contacted most of the major manufacturers / distributors asking what the Pf was for their  charger some of the results were horrifying and where a low as 0.65.

This mean that you need an awful lot more  'oompf' - so - at 0.65Pf and 70 amps you would need 1400 watts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - you are not allowing for the Power Factor.

When I was looking to replace a battery charger I contacted most of the major manufacturers / distributors asking what the Pf was for their  charger some of the results were horrifying and where a low as 0.65.

This mean that you need an awful lot more  'oompf' - so - at 0.65Pf and 70 amps you would need 1400 watts

Isn't there a CE limit on power factor for stuff taking more than 70w these days? Stuff with a switch mode type of power supply surely has active power factor control unless it's archaic? Our Mastervolt Combi has a power factor better than 0.98

Anyway, an electrically overloaded inverter genny doesn't cause the engine to run rough and cut out.

Edited by nicknorman

Just now, robind187 said:

From a quick search, this generator has a power factor of 1. I'll check the fuel filter when I'm back at the boat next week.

No, the generator doesn't have a power factor. It is the power factor of the load (ie the charger) that is relevant.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Isn't there a CE limit on power factor for stuff taking more than 70w these days?

No idea.

Matervolt (the best) and Victron (2nd best)where both 'high' - much of the 'others' were around the 0.75 area.

As usual its pretty much down t you get what you pay for.

There are reasons why a Victron 50A charger s £600, and an 'ebay special' s £100

Just now, nicknorman said:

No, the generator doesn't have a power factor. It is the power factor of the load (ie the charger) that is relevant.

But either way, as already stated, if the genny runs for 2 mins then the problem isn't too big a load, it's fuel starvation (or something very similar). 

Just now, mross said:

Until you connect a load that's probably true :) 

Well not really. Power factor is the degree by which the current is out of phase with the voltage, but if there is no current (because there is no load), there can't be a power factor. But I know what you mean!

1. If oil in EU is old or low the symptoms you are describing can occur. Watch genny & see if red oil [level] light flickers.

2. You are 12V & not 24V?

Edited by Dinz
  • Greenie 1