Teddington to Brentford

Chris J

Featured Posts

Sorry, can't help. It's easy to miss the turn for Brentford. Look out for Brentford Dock Marina, on the left. There's a small pontoon. Then a bit further on there is a large silver modern sculpture on the left (there was someone using it as a urinal on Saturday when we went past). The entrance to Brentford Creek is on the left just before the urinal/sculpture. If you wait until you can see the lock then you will end up going further downstream than you want.

You can see both marina and  sculpture in the picture below from streetview.

The best tide times are here. Tomorrow HW at Teddington and Brentford is 0800 (BST) and that is when Brentford opens (unless you have pre-booked). So I would set off from Teddington anytime between 0700 and 0730, arriving at or soon after HW at Brentford. NB also check the gauge at Brentford Road Bridge, the air draught can be quite low at high tide in which case you have to wait for the tide to ebb.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4819164,-0.3002859,3a,75y,324.38h,88.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMKNXY01hgB-f1rFwYmrGkg!2e0?hl=en

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

It is that simple.

But if the ebb is picking up (and you are on the outside of a bend there) then it can take a while to get back, especially if you are a decent time after high water.

There have been boats that have struggled to get back into Brentford Creek before the lock shuts. All this is another reason to arrive soon after HW at Brentford.

Saw one miss the turn in a little Springer. We tooted him and he came back  even with a crap engine he did it. Slowish however.

Beware of land water coming down the Brent. Its a spate river and can be furious.

Just when you think you are off the tideway you get the sucker punch from the Brent IF heavy rain.

47 minutes ago, Chris J said:

Yeah I know about the tides, aiming to be there for 7:45 for high water. Just looking for buddies!!

I have always left before highwater to get to the Richmond barrier just as they are lifting it.

The previous lockie at Teddington and his team are / were NB friendly and encourage boaters to leave 3/4 - 1 hr before high water so that the turn into B'ford was performed on slack water. You could ask. In recent years there have been a lot of stroppy NBers so they don't necessarily offer any advice. Shame really, as they are a  b---good bunch. It's open 24/7 so if you have time when you arrive pop into the office and have a chat. I assume you'll stay overnight on the layby - if it's not full of CMers (of the Thames variety - some of which do it for profit)...

A very pleasant but short journey - as you'll whistle down.

I called the Lockie earlier to ask advice on best time to get there ya da ya da. He seemed friendly enough on the phone. Unfortunately won't be at Teddington for the night as I'm working late tonight, so will be schlepping down from Hampton Court Palace, not to far though.

11 hours ago, Chris J said:

Well considering the last few days of rain Brent creek could be fun! Thanks for the help guys, feel like it's gonna be a wet and cold morning! 

It rises very quick (road run off) but falls straight away too. You could be ok.

I would avoid arriving at Brentford at exactly High Tide - because you will be held up by the low headroom at Brentford High Street Bridge. Half an hour either side of High Water is better.

There is a very workable alternative to the conventional 'down on the falling tide' routine. Leave Teddington three or four hours before High Tide. All the way to Richmond the river will be non-tidal (Richmond Weir will be down, blocking the tide). Depending on your timing, you can either go through Richmond Lock (£4.80) or wait for the weir to be lifted (no charge). Then you only have to push against the tide for a mile to Brentford. Then you arrive just as Thames Lock is opening, two hours before High Tide. This is the timing I use most often and I have never had a problem with it.

The lock-keepers at Teddington are indeed very friendly but I suspect that having to deal with so many idiots has jaded them. Their advice is understandably cautious in the extreme. Remember, their advice is just that, advice. You have a right to go through anytime you like.

Got to Teddington around 7:30am, was is in the lock 15mins later and I'm now at Brentford Basin, the whole thing was totally painless and the weather and the last bit on the Thames was beautiful. The canal feels very narrow again! 

Cheers for the help folks. X

1 hour ago, WJM said:

Leave Teddington three or four hours before High Tide. All the way to Richmond the river will be non-tidal (Richmond Weir will be down, blocking the tide). Depending on your timing, you can either go through Richmond Lock (£4.80) or wait for the weir to be lifted (no charge).  

I have always wanted to go through the lock just so I can say I have done it. Got to the barrier early once and they made me wait for half an hour  for the barrier to lift. 

3 hours ago, WJM said:

I would avoid arriving at Brentford at exactly High Tide - because you will be held up by the low headroom at Brentford High Street Bridge. Half an hour either side of High Water is better.

There is a very workable alternative to the conventional 'down on the falling tide' routine. Leave Teddington three or four hours before High Tide. All the way to Richmond the river will be non-tidal (Richmond Weir will be down, blocking the tide). Depending on your timing, you can either go through Richmond Lock (£4.80) or wait for the weir to be lifted (no charge). Then you only have to push against the tide for a mile to Brentford. Then you arrive just as Thames Lock is opening, two hours before High Tide. This is the timing I use most often and I have never had a problem with it.

The lock-keepers at Teddington are indeed very friendly but I suspect that having to deal with so many idiots has jaded them. Their advice is understandably cautious in the extreme. Remember, their advice is just that, advice. You have a right to go through anytime you like.

Passage through Richmond lock is £7 now

Tim

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have always wanted to go through the lock just so I can say I have done it. Got to the barrier early once and they made me wait for half an hour  for the barrier to lift. 

There used to be a very aggressive and grumpy lock-keeper there who would do anything to avoid actually lock-keeping - like refuse to operate the lock even though there was half an hour or more till the weir was raised. I have also been forced to sit in the lock while he disappeared inside for 15 minutes, presumably to drink tea and be belligerent. So once, I hid around the corner and waited till he started to drop the weir and then presented myself at the lock gates. I thought he was going to hit me with the long basket pole they use to collect the money with.

Eventually I complained about him to the PLA and things improved immediately.