Walking from Horton lock to Cheddington station

Featured Posts

Hi, was moored last month at Horton lock on the Grand Union as I thought it would give reasonable access to Cheddington train station (you can see the station bridge from the lock). Unfortunately I was chased by a huge heard of cows on both attempts so had to make a longer detour via the busy and narrow road. Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this and had more success? Are the cows always there? Seems a shame there isn't a better route to the station as it's a lovely mooring otherwise.

As you have pointed out, it should be simple to walk between the lock and the station, as you can see one from the other - but I don't think that there is any route you can take that avoids having to walk along some part of the B488 (which I assume is the busy road you mentioned).  Even if you go off footpaths, you come across drainage ditches and fences that are difficult to cross, with added livestock problems.

I haven't had problems with cows in this area, but it is a few years since I have been on the paths to the south of Horton village.

The route which includes the least hazardous/shortest section of road involves going along the bridleway that runs to the west of the railway line.  You get to it by walking straight on at the southerly right angle road bend in Horton village, where the bridleway goes off under the railway.  However, at the Cheddington end you have to walk back to the station from the nearest point of escape, which is between the houses on Cheddington Road.  This is certainly not the shortest route.

Chris G

• 3 weeks later...