Reverse Layout V's Standard

efanton

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, bastion said:

Having a quick look at boats moored near me the taper at the the bow is more pronounced in the width of the boats and in the depth than at the stern.

Obviously, different boats have different shapes, but in general with a reasonable sized bow deck, the boat has reached its full width by the start of the cabin. At the back it will depend on how big any stern deck is I suppose. With our trad stern, the bedroom width has reduced a bit and of course there is space lost to the swim. But maybe a cruiser stern would be different? Some boats are very "square" ie a parallel-sided thing with a roundly bit at the back and pointy bit at the front, but these are generally of the less tradional look and are the ones that tend to get pinned to the side.

As to the depth, I would have thought most boats were the same at the front or back (unless you have a raised back cabin floor for a prop shaft). The boat sticks out of the water more at the front, but the boat is deeper in the water at the back.

So in summary, I don't think you'd want a reverse layout with a trad stern, but not many boats do.