Floor bearers, arrangement of

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, system 4-50 said:
  • Most of my water pipes joints are "guttered", that is to say, if they leak they leak into a gutter that drains into the shower tray. This would not cope with a "powered" leak.
  • The takeoff from my water tanks goes up through the top rather than out of the side. This would still not prevent a "siphoning" leak.
  • The cauliflower is in the engine bay so a leak there is unlikely to reach the cabin unless powered.
  • I won't be happy until I have removed every possibility of a powered leak. This may take some time yet.

At least on a boat you can just turn off the power.

I have wondered about the "siphon" take off arrangement when I get round to sorting my integral tank.  Every time I look at the existing tap I'm thinking what would happen if that joint at the bottom of the tank fails.  Are there any complications with this "top down" approach, i can't think of any, my fuel tank is designed that way.  

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I keep my flush toilet in a tray. If it ever has small leaks these should be contained and not damage the floor. After your comment I think I will get a tray for the washing machine.

As I mentioned earlier I spent some time sub contracting for a flood damage restoration company and as a result my washing machine lives in the garage outside..  Getting rid of  automatic washing machines and dishwashers would save the insurance companies millions.  

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

At least on a boat you can just turn off the power.

I have wondered about the "siphon" take off arrangement when I get round to sorting my integral tank.  Every time I look at the existing tap I'm thinking what would happen if that joint at the bottom of the tank fails.  Are there any complications with this "top down" approach, i can't think of any, my fuel tank is designed that way.  

• Not that I've found. Once the pump has sucked up the air and it is solid water from the tank to the pump, it stays there even when I'm away for a month, which surprised me. 
  • My plastic tanks have the large 6" round lids and I have drilled through the lids, fitting the take-off, air breather, filler-line, and level sensor all in the one lid.

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:
  • Not that I've found. Once the pump has sucked up the air and it is solid water from the tank to the pump, it stays there even when I'm away for a month, which surprised me. 
  • My plastic tanks have the large 6" round lids and I have drilled through the lids, fitting the take-off, air breather, filler-line, and level sensor all in the one lid.

What a good idea.  

This has got me thinking but I'm going to kick off a separate thread I think before we continue this discussion.