Bancroft Basin

Heartland

Featured Posts

Many enthusiasts are aware of the major restoration that brought the Stratford Upon Avon Canal back into the network. yet there was a period of dereliction under the Great Western Railway and British Railways. According to John Norris the Southern Stratford became un-navigable after the Second Word War. Yet the Weavers took pictures of the basin in December 1950, which showed a number of rotting sunken hulls, but there were also a pair of railway boats, no 71 and 21 which were there and afloat. They had BR (LMS) beside the number indicating they had recently arrived. The question that must be asked was why?

48286.jpg

45 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The above photograph looks very 'countryfied' for the centre of Stratford Upon Avon, even for 1950 

And as the basin is by the river, there shouldn't be a valley in the background

Those brick edges to the cut look very BCN to me

Richard

14 minutes ago, RLWP said:

And as the basin is by the river, there shouldn't be a valley in the background

Those brick edges to the cut look very BCN to me

Richard

Your thoughts are identical to mine on both counts, so suggesting a miss-captioned photograph :captain:

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In tbe early 50s Bancroft Basin looked like this:

photo124.jpg

From www.stratfordcanalsociety.org.uk/archives.html

I know it says early 50's on the web site but do you think that is a bit later, 55 perhaps.

That said it would also say the brick edge looks very BCN, too rural, and not really wide enough to be Bancroft basin, so perhaps the original photo is not Stratford at all.

Miscaptioning was one of my reasons for the post, yet, it is hard to see the Weavers getting it wrong- here is a view of the sunken boats- there might be  chance of identifying the location. In this view there is a bridhe and house.

48287.jpg

Edited by Heartland

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Miscaptioning was one of my reasons for the post, yet, it is hard to see the Weavers getting it wrong- here is a view of the sunken boats- there might be  chance of identifying the location. In this view there is a bridhe and house.

48287.jpg

That one looks like Lapworth to me, where the long term moorings currently are.

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

48287.jpg

Definitely the lower pool at Lapworth. looking from near the Junction lock towards Kings Norton, with the weir from the upper pool visible to the left of the house.

I remember the rotting remains of wooden boats there in the 70s/80s. When they created the moorings they filled in the end of the pool where the near end of these boats are.

But I don't think the original photo in this thread is the same location.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Could the first one be Rowington embankment? Canal may be a bit wide for there but it looks familiar.

I would say no, Rowington embankment has 1930's GU concrete edging.  It looks more like W&E to me.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:47, Heartland said:

Many enthusiasts are aware of the major restoration that brought the Stratford Upon Avon Canal back into the network. yet there was a period of dereliction under the Great Western Railway and British Railways. According to John Norris the Southern Stratford became un-navigable after the Second Word War. Yet the Weavers took pictures of the basin in December 1950, which showed a number of rotting sunken hulls, but there were also a pair of railway boats, no 71 and 21 which were there and afloat. They had BR (LMS) beside the number indicating they had recently arrived. The question that must be asked was why?

48286.jpg

That picture is on the BCN Cannock Extension virtually opposite Yates yard NOT the Stratford!!

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

48287.jpg

Very likely Lapworth, I have  a later photo of a hulk there.

• Greenie 1

It's definitely Lapworth. You can see the North Stratford on the left side with a lock and the bridge under the road. The weir between the two ponds is also clearly visible

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lapworth,+Solihull/@52.3363577,-1.7276674,179m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870c80417691067:0x3e760ef3c0a572e5!8m2!3d52.339016!4d-1.762603

Richard

Edited by RLWP