Grounded not far from selbycanal

chevron

Featured Posts

Hi any advice other than not to do it again stuck on mud where the bank has erroded suck and not able to move the boat at all it's still deep in front of boat but middle section stuck on mud props is in about two to three foot of water but not moving at all 

5 minutes ago, chevron said:

Hi any advice other than not to do it again stuck on mud where the bank has erroded suck and not able to move the boat at all it's still deep in front of boat but middle section stuck on mud props is in about two to three foot of water but not moving at all 

When you say not far from Selby canal, do you mean you are on the canal or are you on the river?

Just now, chevron said:

We are on the aire not far from selby canal we have gone round a tight bend and have grounded where the cows come down to drink water just after a w bend on the map

Ahh. I was wondering wether you were on that bit or the Ouse. The Ouse would have been easier IF the tide had been on the way in. You are on a shallow bit of the river were you are now and the lack of rain has made things worse. Are you on a narrowboat? Have you any crew? have you a pole? a combination of engine, crew moving positions/rocking is the way to go. A pole may or may not help. Have you tried flat out astern with everyone at the stern assuming you are not alone? Sometimes/often a mixture of all the above will work.

If you are realy stuck emptying the water tank can also help.

Option 1 : Get as much weight (everyone on board) to get to the end which is floating which may lift off the 'grounded section' Pole yourself off the 'way you came on' (ie assuming you drove on 'forwards' pole off 'backwards' - it may get even worse as you go forwards !!)

Option 2 : Wave down any passing boats and ask to be pulled-off.

Option 3 : Don your lifejacket, get off the boat - if it is only 18"-24" deep its not a problem, get your shoulder to the boat and push it backwards.

Option 4 : It has been raining, in a day or two the level should rise an inch or two and enable you to get off.

Hi yes emptied water tank moved everything towards back do you know if water level may rise even thought of getting in and trying to shovel it out as last resort but wife says no dogs sat not impressed waiting for loo

2 minutes ago, chevron said:

Hi yes emptied water tank moved everything towards back do you know if water level may rise even thought of getting in and trying to shovel it out as last resort but wife says no dogs sat not impressed waiting for loo

Level may rise or get lower. You are not affected by tide there so rainfall is what you want. I doubt there are any other boaters around to help? its a quiet section as funnily enough are most of the best bits of our system. Cant help without being there sorry.

Will keep trying but it is not moving an inch using pole it seems to be stuck for about thirty foot of its sixty foot length using pole to gauge depth been here about three hours now not moved an inch 

If you are near the junction at West Haddesley, then you are between the EA gauges at Birkin Holme and Chapel Haddesley.  Links to the river levels are below.

The level at Birkin Holme looks to fluctuate, but that at Chapel Haddesley is generally fairly flat, although rising at the last reading this morning. Doesn't look like you are likely to get a large level change to float off unfortunately. 

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/11954/7362

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/2010/2127

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

you can get water level info from the EA, for example is this near you?

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/8294?direction=u

That is the one he needs ! The part of the Aire where it sounds as though he is - I would guess that he is about halfway between Beal Lock and Haddlesey Flood Lock - is well equipped with EA Recorders. There is one at Bank Dole Lock, one at Beal Lock and one at Haddlesey Weir.

Thanks everyone.  Still here.  River is not likely to rise, after the rain this morning weather seems to have settled. We have tried Selby Chandlers but we think they are closed.  Spoke to someone on his mobile that works there but he doesn't know of anyone.  Made a makeshift spade to try and dig some of the silt out but that hasn't helped and moved all heavy stuff to the back of the boat. Spoke to CRT and they don't  have a workboat in the area, but we're very supportive.  Rang RCR earlier and I think we will end up paying them to do rescue.  

7 minutes ago, chevron said:

Thanks everyone.  Still here.  River is not likely to rise, after the rain this morning weather seems to have settled. We have tried Selby Chandlers but we think they are closed.  Spoke to someone on his mobile that works there but he doesn't know of anyone.  Made a makeshift spade to try and dig some of the silt out but that hasn't helped and moved all heavy stuff to the back of the boat. Spoke to CRT and they don't  have a workboat in the area, but we're very supportive.  Rang RCR earlier and I think we will end up paying them to do rescue.  

Is the stern end afloat, and for how far along ?

If it's the bows that are grounded, how much have they 'freed' by - ie. distance in inches from the normal waterline on the hull to the waterline as it is now ?

Edited by PhilAtterley

We are leaning by about 5 inches meaning the normal water line is above the water by 5 inches it's soft type silt we are James on if I use pole it's along left side for about thirty feet and Os for sale about ten the water at the prop is about three feet 

Drafts about two and a half feet  I can see the raised sand bank we are jammed on 

18 minutes ago, chevron said:

We are leaning by about 5 inches meaning the normal water line is above the water by 5 inches it's soft type silt we are James on if I use pole it's along left side for about thirty feet and Os for sale about ten the water at the prop is about three feet 

Drafts about two and a half feet  I can see the raised sand bank we are jammed on 

Will she swing at all - even just a tiny bit - if you run about half ahead and keep putting the rudder hard over from one side to the other ?

A tifor winch, a long rope and a large tree are handy to have available in such circumstances, provided you are willing to get a bit wet.

I presume that you are lacking at least one of these?

I have also had a bit of success in similar circumstances on the upper Thames using the boarding plank to lever the hull sideways off the sandbank, but again it involved getting very wet and muddy.

Edited by billS

When we hired from hired from Dougie Banks at Selby he told of one of his hire boats getting grounded by cutting a corner on the Aire. Dougies son swam or waded over to the other side with a rope and managed to drag it off.

Have to say despite warnings from Dougie I too cut a corner but only grounded briefly.