Moderating

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think it can be. Recently, for example, I tidied up a post by correcting a spelling mistake and inserting a question mark at the end of a question. I see no harm in that; indeed, if I'd made a similar typing error and someone else corrected it, I would be appreciative.

Y wud u coweccct schpellin mishtaeaks? we izz alll vewy cwever on ere innit   ?

• Greenie 1

If I pose a rhetorical question it won't have a question mark.  If a Mod decides that he knows better and adds one, it is no longer rhetorical!  If a Mod wishes to change someone's post, at least quote them and use strikethrough and bold to show what he/she has added or deleted.  I'm not talking about you, necessarily :) .

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I agree, although I'm not sure we need Sir to correct our spelling!  

It doesn't need correcting unless it's wrong in the first place. As an excellent speller* but an inexpert typist myself, I am aware that sometimes my posts suffer from that lack of expertise, especially if I'm dashing them off quickly and don't take the time to read them through before committing them to the screen. So, in such cases, I'm merely doing unto others as I would like wot they'd do to me.

* Did I mention my modesty, too? Dammit, after 30 +years as a language teacher, my spelling should not be too shabby.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Y wud u coweccct schpellin mishtaeaks? we izz alll vewy cwever on ere innit   ?

Cor wotta proon.

Just now, mross said:

There are a few posters on here who did not have expensive educations.  Their spelling and grammar are not very good.  But we all know what they mean and it is rare that lack of punctuation makes their posts ambiguous.  I would hate any of them to be put off posting by having their errors publically corrected.  It's patronising and elitist.

I am one of them - I should think that there are more than a few actually.

I'm not talking about someone who is obviously dyslexic, but rather about someone who (as I do) makes a typing error - as someone did yesterday by typing "pist" instead of "post" (no, I didn't correct that one) which did rather alter the meaning. One man's "patronising and elitist" is another man's "kind, helpful and thoughtful", not bad qualities in my view.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think it is a terrible decision for a mod to make changes to someone's posts only to try to correct spellings or grammer, (did you see what I did there!?!)

I would be fairly hacked off if that happened to my posts.

It is just plain wrong, and certainly not part of the role of a mod.

How do you know that it hasn't already happened?:D

I should add that I make such adjustments only if I am quoting someone else's post to which I am replying. I don't think that's wrong in the slightest, as it makes what I'm replying to absolutely clear.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I am one of them - I should think that there are more than a few actually.

I'm not talking about someone who is obviously dyslexic, but rather about someone who (as I do) makes a typing error - as someone did yesterday by typing "pist" instead of "post" (no, I didn't correct that one) which did rather alter the meaning. One man's "patronising and elitist" is another man's "kind, helpful and thoughtful", not bad qualities in my view.

I suspect the number of posters who went to public school is slim so IMO the vast majority of posters had a free education.

Feel free to correct any mistakes I make I am into life long learning and if my mistakes aren't pointed out I can't improve.

• Greenie 1

It wasn't only public schools, there were private and grammar schools.  These often gave scholarships or bursaries to some of their students but many parents had to pay.  I went on to do a cadetship and my sponsor paid for 4 1/2 years of further education.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I think it can be. Recently, for example, I tidied up a post by correcting a spelling mistake and inserting a question mark at the end of a question. I see no harm in that; indeed, if I'd made a similar typing error and someone else corrected it, I would be appreciative.

I see nothing wrong in mods taking part in debate or having their own opinion, even if it disagrees with my own. What I have a problem with is mos who can't read or if they can read don't understand what they are reading. And then censoring others because they (the mod) are incapable of engaging into debate without throwing insults at people

In the debacle you refer to you.

1) Ignored a point of order returning to the original debate subject

2) Censored a post in which that was highlighted

3) Broke forum rules by making personal attacks

4) Closed a topic that was still open and running

5) Encouraged other members to make personal attacks

The 'correction' you mention is nonsense. The post had 2 separate questions therefor 2 question marks.

Don't try to teach your grammar to suck eggs 

Mods moderate they DO NOT CENSOR!

3 minutes ago, gigoguy said:

Mods moderate they DO NOT CENSOR!

Thank you for explaining how my job should be done. Moddies do not censor but they do sometimes edit.

Did you mean "debate" rather than "debacle"? I must admit it is a quite amusing typo.

13 minutes ago, mross said:

It wasn't only public schools, there were private and grammar schools.  These often gave scholarships or bursaries to some of their students but many parents had to pay.  I went on to do a cadetship and my sponsor paid for 4 1/2 years of further education.

If I remember my history properly the 1944 Education act raised the school leaving age to 15 and did away with fees for anything other than a public school(which is strangely a private school).

Being Grammar School educated myself and having a brother who went to GS in the post war years fees weren't paid.  So unless I am historically wrong the only people on the forum are either public school kids or very old.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for explaining how my job should be done. Moddies do not censor but they do sometimes edit.

Did you mean "debate" rather than "debacle"? I must admit it is a quite amusing typo.

edit, redact, censor it's all the same when you remove what you don't like from the forum.

A debacle is when something breaks down. We were not debating, you were slinging insults. I'd call that a breakdown

Come to think of it, you are fortuitously correct: editing may involve censorship, for example when a poster uses bad language.

Please do not accuse me of "slinging insults", as that is an entirely groundless accusation. Please keep your posts respectful and polite, if you are able to.

I have edited your last post to remove the name "Donald", because that is not my name.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Come to think of it, you are fortuitously correct: editing may involve censorship, for example when a poster uses bad language.

Please do not accuse me of "slinging insults", as that is an entirely groundless accusation. Please keep your posts respectful and polite, if you are able to.

I have edited your last post to remove the name "Donald", because that is not my name.

Well at least we both agree that calling someone Donald is insulting

12 hours ago, Tonka said:

I blame Athy as he has been picked up before and when he does not like you having a go at him he contacts other guests such as Zenatomm

That made oi larf!

Athy has never had contact with me, not even when we both woke up in a rain filled gutter and he was flailing his arms around.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

am one of them - I should think that there are more than a few actually.

I'm not talking about someone who is obviously dyslexic, but rather about someone who (as I do) makes a typing error - as someone did yesterday by typing "pist" instead of "post" (no, I didn't correct that one) which did rather alter the meaning

That was my typo. As most of my posting is done on a small phone it is often the case, but usually quickly rectified,or if amusing, as this typo was, quickly picked up by another member. 

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That was my typo. As most of my posting is done on a small phone it is often the case, but usually quickly rectified,or if amusing, as this typo was, quickly picked up by another member. 

I thought we were in a discussion forum not an English lesson? And if we were it wouldn't be in a 'grammar' school because some of the 'teachers' wouldn't pass the 11+

Edited by gigoguy