gigoguy

Featured Posts

I'm not new to boating but like many I still have 'admin' difficulties occasionally but I've not come across this before.

A friend of mine who is moored close by lost his bank card last week. So he phoned his bank and asked for a new one to be sent to a care of address as he was 200 miles from home. He was told no, so he asked for it to be sent to a branch. And again he was told no. However he could change his home address to his care of address and when his card and pin turned up. He was to call the bank and change it back again.

When he asked why that was more secure he was told by the operator that she didn't know, it's just the new system.

Surely giving a true c/o address is more secure than giving a bogus home address?

Sounds a bit odd 

My guess is that the automated system will send cards and pins only to the home address. For the security of the customer that address can't be over-ridden by a member of staff. So if he wants it sending somewhere else then he must change his home address to that somewhere else. Then 'the system' will happily despatch the card and pin to his new 'home address'. 

Make sense?

tony

Edited by WotEver
Clarity

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My guess is that the automated system will send cards and pins only to the home address. For the security of the customer that address can't be over-ridden by a member of staff. So if he wants it sending somewhere else then he must change his home address to that somewhere else. Then 'the system' will happily despatch the card and pin to his new 'home address'. 

Make sense?

tony

I can see what you mean. But that's a problem with the system. If someone knows enough of my details to change my address then it doesn't matter where they send it does it? 

Really it shouldn't let me change my address without proof. ie utility bills tenancy agreement whatever. In fact the bank has a duty to check the personal details of customers. If I'm moving I'll have something won't I? A tenancy agreement, conveyance completion date.

I know I wouldn't and probably a lot of us on the water wouldn't, but you know what I mean.

No you're right it is a possible explanation and a very good one. 

Just seems like no one has thought it through before implementing a change. What if he was on holiday though, would he have to change his address to 'Ye Olde Worlde Coffee Shoppe Amsterdam'? :) 

16 minutes ago, gigoguy said:

What if he was on holiday though, would he have to change his address to 'Ye Olde Worlde Coffee Shoppe Amsterdam'? :) 

That sounds like a good place to make a permanent address ;)

Being more serious, he might want to change banks. American Express for instance (yes, I know they're not a high street bank) will express courier a replacement card if you lose it whilst on holiday. 

1 minute ago, gigoguy said:

How do you do a thumbs up sign? Av one anyway ;)

Cheers :cheers:

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Being more serious, he might want to change banks. American Express for instance (yes, I know they're not a high street bank) will express courier a replacement card if you lose it whilst on holiday. 

Cheers :cheers:

That's what I said to him. AMEX will get you a card within 24 hours anywhere in the world. But as he said he's done it now he doesn't want all the messing about of trying to change banks. We all know how hard that can be.

I know he's emailed them about it. I'll post their response when he gets one.

Don't be so sure the system is as "dumb" as that. It will probably "flag" the account as vulnerable and the flag is cleared by a card delivered to a good known address then positively verified, and/or used in a normal way. So, losing your card then changing address will be caught, whatever the order of these is reported to the bank. The operator is unlikely to know the algorithms used within Falcon (or whatever other fraud managment software the bank uses).

I once had similar with my building society.

Having had a current account with them for sometime as a student and then in short term company supplied accommodation with 'home' being my parents, I then needed paperwork for a pending mortgage to be sent out to me. This was easily done by detailing my current home address as my current temporary accommodation, this was done quickly and easily over the phone and I was later quite surprised this had effected my current account billing as well as my pending mortgage account.

One moving I then needed to change my address to my house, and was told I needed to visit my branch (only open while I was at work) with a raft of paper (which I didnt have, having only just moved) despite the fact they had just allowed me to take out a mortgage on the place it took several phone calls to resolve.

We're clearly in a tradition I think between the age of 'paper bills taken to branch' and 'emails and online banking' and not all of it logical!

Daniel

12 hours ago, gigoguy said:

I can see what you mean. But that's a problem with the system. If someone knows enough of my details to change my address then it doesn't matter where they send it does it? 

Really it shouldn't let me change my address without proof. ie utility bills tenancy agreement whatever. In fact the bank has a duty to check the personal details of customers. If I'm moving I'll have something won't I? A tenancy agreement, conveyance completion date.

I know I wouldn't and probably a lot of us on the water wouldn't, but you know what I mean.

Nationwide will let you change your address through its internet banking.  However you will need to re-enter your login details including password to activate it.