Wolverhampton 21 shut!

starman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dekker said:

When it is open do they ever have volockies on the flight?

There are sometimes, not sure if they are regular though. Last time we went up we were in the bottom lock about 7:30, the CRT guy arrived in his van to check the flight and set about the first 10 locks for us, he opened paddles on his way up and then opened the gates as he came back down.

Also its quite a spread out flight (over 2 miles in distance from top to bottom lock) so they'd need some kind of transport such as bikes or quads to be useful at more than just the top (or bottom) few locks. Or like walking a lot.

On 5/15/2017 at 14:18, starman said:

Just reached top of the flight and it has just been shut because of a broken beam on lock 10. 

Engineer coming to assess but lockie says likely to be several days!!!

is it broken or has it been vandalised, I remember a few years ago the beams being sawn off by a local, fed up with boats, using a chainsaw

53 minutes ago, AMModels said:

is it broken or has it been vandalised, I remember a few years ago the beams being sawn off by a local, fed up with boats, using a chainsaw

Rotten as a pear, but I expect they will blame it on a load of boaters sitting on it,

Again on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/kevin.blick/posts/10155249799999598?comment_id=10155251215074598

Edited by ditchcrawler

Looking at that the beam could be removed and boats could still be worked through whilst the replacement is being organised.

Or like the one on Ryders Green just join the two bit together with some bits of flat bar.

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Looking at that the beam could be removed and boats could still be worked through whilst the replacement is being organised.

Or like the one on Ryders Green just join the two bit together with some bits of flat bar.

You would think CRT are thinking the same, but i doubt it...

Watching the news last night about the bomb in brum, they blew it up at 3pm, they then went on to say that hopefully the trains in the area would start running again today, but couldnt confirm...

How did they manage during war (Uncle Albert voice on)

45 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

You would think CRT are thinking the same, but i doubt it...

Watching the news last night about the bomb in brum, they blew it up at 3pm, they then went on to say that hopefully the trains in the area would start running again today, but couldnt confirm...

How did they manage during war (Uncle Albert voice on)

I met the engineer who was checking it out on site and asked if they would work us through as we were at the top. He said no as it could cause more damage - couldn't see how myself; the beam's f***ed but there you go. 

I agree with you - there's no urgency in anything these days. Not just on the canals - roadworks go on forever with just a couple of blokes working.

No action on the lock at all yesterday and impossible to get any progress report from CRT. Luckily theres a lockie here who appears occasionally. Apparently the new beam has been made (I think repurposed from one off a recently updated lock) and now they are working out how to get it here - from Bradley not the moon - but hopefully fitting it today. 

But that's what he said yesterday. Excuse cynicism  - three days in wet Wolverhampton is more than enough. 

Edited by starman

I guess there is a weight issue, if the beam comes of the gate is it out of balance and could cause issues?

But like John says, a simple heavy steel plate bolted across the break would do for now, maybe even close the lock at night and have a lockie on in the day to work that one lock.

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I guess there is a weight issue, if the beam comes of the gate is it out of balance and could cause issues?

But like John says, a simple heavy steel plate bolted across the break would do for now, maybe even close the lock at night and have a lockie on in the day to work that one lock.

If they are replacing today, then perhaps the temp fix would not have been worth it  (is the one on Ryders Green still like that?), but a lockie could have worked boats though with no bean on for limited hours per day.  No one should have to spend 3 days in Wolverhampton :)

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If they are replacing today, then perhaps the temp fix would not have been worth it  (is the one on Ryders Green still like that?), but a lockie could have worked boats though with no bean on for limited hours per day.  No one should have to spend 3 days in Wolverhampton :)

Here, do you mind, I had to live there years ago!

50 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Looking at the photo again i think i would agree that the lock could not have been used, with the gate paddle being affected?

You dont have to use that paddle. A strap round the top of the gate and some lengths of angle iron would have seen it in use with care.

How long is the queue there now?

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

You dont have to use that paddle. A strap round the top of the gate and some lengths of angle iron would have seen it in use with care.

yeah true, but H&S and all that, risk assessments... blah blah, they would never allow.

Nice to see they fixed it quick though.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Three of us at this end and two at the other - the numbers will increase soon once hire boats on the Ring start arriving. 

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Three dry days is worse. You don't then have the excuse to stay on your boat 'cos it's raining

Like it! 

We gave up and turned round - two promises of 'tomorrow' turned into 'maybe Friday'. Apparently they decided they will need a hoist so they have to hire a hiab truck. Shame they couldn't decide that on Monday. 

PS met two lots of hire boaters who had no idea there was a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Its not like there isn't an alternate route

Yeah it's not a problem - just  a couple of days spent discovering that a couple of days in Wolverhampton is too many - apologies to any Wolves folk