Wolverhampton 21

dekker

Featured Posts

We went both ways a couple of weeks back. No problems. All locks in good condition and easy to  operate. Just take your time and it is quite pleasant.

Mooring at the bottom is not a problem. If you are coming down the Shropshire Union Hunting bridge is always a good stopping point or immediately after the stop lock at Autherley on the S & W.

Once you have ascended there is safe mooring at the top in Wolverhampton. Opposite the sevice area is access only from the canal on the off side.

We stopped at the Black Country Museum and went in to Birmingham on the old line. It worked well.

We did the 21 a few weeks back, we stopped the night before at the Fox and Anchor, Cross Green by bridge 71 on the Staffs and Worcs as we had come from Great Haywood. When we went past Autherley junction it was full of boats that had overnighted there. If we are coming from the other direction or from the Shroppie we normally spend the night at Compton below Compton top lock. You have to go down to wind above Wightwick lock if stopping at Compton having come off the Shroppie.

We have done the Wolverhampton 21 several times. We usually moor at Brewood the night before and then have an early start. Although the top of the flight has secure moorings we have found them a bit grim so tend to push onto the Black Country museum. We only recently discovered Merry Hill as an overnight stop and will be using there as our stop of preference in futue. Never had a problem on the 21. The locks seem to be well maintained and, although I think there were a number of incidents a few years back, the natives seem to be friendly.I remember one year when a young fox managed to get sucked into a lock chamber with us. No matter how hard we tried, we could not get it out although, admittedly, I was reluctant to get too close in case I got bitten. The fox was getting weaker and weaker and in real danger of drowning. The local youths arrived (you know, all tattoos and attitude). I was expecting trouble, but not a bit of it. One very tough looking individual lifted it out very gently, imperious to any bites, and then took of his sweater to wrap around the very wet and shaking fox. Last seen cuddling the fox as he headed off to the local vet to get the fox checked over. No word on whether he needed a tetanus, or indeed, a rabies shot (the youth that is, or perhaps even the fox). Never judge people on appearance alone!

It's a pretty slick flight, we've never had any problems but of course if you are unlucky, you could have a problem anywhere. At the bottom, we've night-stopped at Compton lock and opposite Oxley Marine Services near Autherley Jn.  At the top, personally I wouldn't stop in the main basin overnight but there are reasonably secure if grim moorings beside the services / maintenance arm, however we've never felt like we wanted to stop there and have carried on to Tipton or beyond.