solar panels. are they worth the cost and effort

johnbullsbum

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm disappointed that the electrics which are a puzzle for me are deemed too simple to be worth describing and yet the mechanics which seem to me fairly obvious are described at length.

My guess is that the two panel 'halves' (left and right) drive a form of H Bridge. Scroll down this page and you'll see the schematic. It's pretty simple.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/io/io_7.html

• Greenie 1

On 2017-5-14 at 11:39, Robbo said:

One thing I dislike about solar is that it usually looks like a poor Heath Robinson add on to boats.  I prefer the look of the semi flexible walk on type as it doesn't spoil the boat shape, but these are slightly more expensive.

And by all accounts less efficient.

34 minutes ago, blackrose said:

And by all accounts less efficient.

This may be so but in summer time your more likely have more solar than the batteries can hold and your daily needs.   The other benefits apart from your boat not looking like a solar farm is that a clear roof is really beneficial when you actual do some boating!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Robbo said:

This may be so but in summer time your more likely have more solar than the batteries can hold and your daily needs.   The other benefits apart from your boat not looking like a solar farm is that a clear roof is really beneficial when you actual do some boating!

Yes, if I fitted solar panels I would seriously consider flexible stick on types, just that so many people tell me they get too hot stuck to the roof which makes them much less efficient.

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes, if I fitted solar panels I would seriously consider flexible stick on types, just that so many people tell me they get too hot stuck to the roof which makes them much less efficient.

Both types of solar lose efficiency when the temperature rises. Does that actually matter?  Answer is no because when they do get hot and lose a bit of efficiency it's on a nice summer day when you have more than enough sunlight anyhow.