Cheeky kids on Thorne bridge

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I regularly use Thorne pedestrian bridge and have rarely had any problems with it. Yesterday, however, there were 2 lads, probably 11 or 12 year olds, stood in the middle of the bridge when I pulled up. I waited for a couple of pedestrians to go over and asked the lads to move off the bridge, which got a flat refusal. One of the pedestrians also asked them as she walked by. They basically wanted to stay there and 'ride the bridge'.

I did eventually manage to get them off by bringing all my old teaching skills into play and making sure I never touched them!!

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this on any movable bridge, and, if so, did they leave the kids there? Also, how would you stand if there were to be an accident?

Kevin

13 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

I regularly use Thorne pedestrian bridge and have rarely had any problems with it. Yesterday, however, there were 2 lads, probably 11 or 12 year olds, stood in the middle of the bridge when I pulled up. I waited for a couple of pedestrians to go over and asked the lads to move off the bridge, which got a flat refusal. One of the pedestrians also asked them as she walked by. They basically wanted to stay there and 'ride the bridge'.

I did eventually manage to get them off by bringing all my old teaching skills into play and making sure I never touched them!!

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this on any movable bridge, and, if so, did they leave the kids there? Also, how would you stand if there were to be an accident?

Kevin

Not quite the same, but some years ago I had closed the off side barrier on the swing bridge at Newbury, and was starting to close the towpath side barrier where the control box is located, when a car drove onto the bridge and demanded that I open the other barrier. I pointed out that I had already waited until there was no visible traffic before closing the barrier, and suggested that if he opened the barrier and closed it after crossing, I would continue with operating the bridge, his reply was less than polite and he repeated his demand that I open the barrier. He ended up getting a "very slow" bridge ride.

40 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Not quite the same, but some years ago I had closed the off side barrier on the swing bridge at Newbury, and was starting to close the towpath side barrier where the control box is located, when a car drove onto the bridge and demanded that I open the other barrier. I pointed out that I had already waited until there was no visible traffic before closing the barrier, and suggested that if he opened the barrier and closed it after crossing, I would continue with operating the bridge, his reply was less than polite and he repeated his demand that I open the barrier. He ended up getting a "very slow" bridge ride.

Probably the same bloke that I saw physically assault a female boater a couple of years ago because she was delaying him on "his bridge". I offered to be a witness but the woman just wanted to get on her way rather than involving the police.

Yesterday had a local warning us about the trouble he would get us into if we dared to exceed the 24 hour limit. West Mills has some lovely buildings and at long last has a decent pub within walking distance, but the locals are very unfriendly. We stop at West Mills twice every year and get trouble almost every time.

..............Dave

48 minutes ago, dmr said:

Probably the same bloke that I saw physically assault a female boater a couple of years ago because she was delaying him on "his bridge". I offered to be a witness but the woman just wanted to get on her way rather than involving the police.

Yesterday had a local warning us about the trouble he would get us into if we dared to exceed the 24 hour limit. West Mills has some lovely buildings and at long last has a decent pub within walking distance, but the locals are very unfriendly. We stop at West Mills twice every year and get trouble almost every time.

..............Dave

When people ask why I don't like the K&A this is one of the many reasons I give.  More than once we have found locals all along the canal to be surly and unfriendly.  I can't think of any other part of the network that displays this characteristic. Not even Nuneaton..   

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

When people ask why I don't like the K&A this is one of the many reasons I give.  More than once we have found locals all along the canal to be surly and unfriendly.  I can't think of any other part of the network that displays this characteristic. Not even Nuneaton..   

Could it be that 'we reap what we sow' and that the way that some boaters treat parts of the K&A gives a poor impression of boaters in general ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Could it be that 'we reap what we sow' and that the way that some boaters treat parts of the K&A gives a poor impression of boaters in general ?

I'm sure that is what's going on.  There's a higher percentage of a**holes on the K&A and a lot of them congregate around towns and villages.  We all get tarred with the same brush.

Hungerford springs to mind we were moored there one evening next to a nice couple with a dog and completely out of the blue a woman walking by shrieked at them, demanding they keep their dog under control, she was so aggressive we were all just open mouthed in astonishment.  Doubtless this woman must have had a bad experience with some low life and it's coloured her opinion of all boaters.   

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, particularly at the eastern end. Much of the K&A lay unused for decades, but the river sections still had water so it was an attractive feature without ant disturbances, and suddenly there were boats! Also most of the bankside on the River sections is owned by the adjacent landowners who have historic Riparian Rights, even opn the towpath side, and despite signage asking boats to gain permission before mooring, they often ignore the request, which has been known to cause some irrtation, which is unfortunate have always found that consent was forthcoming, if requested.

We find the K&A boaters amongst the most friendly anywhere, but then we are K&A type people. Locals are mostly very friendly towards boaters too, but do always get trouble at West Mills (Newbury) and indeed have met a couple of anti-social dog walkers in Hungerford.

.................Dave

Only very occasionally have kids been a issue on bridges and, for that matter locks for us. When they are, we try and talk reasonably to them and explain the dangers. If that fails, and it does sometimes, we just sit and wait until they get bored and wander off. Never had a problem on the Thorne pedestrian bridge (with kids that it; it is usually very busy with good natured locals. More of a case of it not working!). However the lifting bridge a couple of miles east is a different matter in summer. It is the rights of passage for all the local youth, mainly male it has to be said but not exclusively so. They wait until the operator had started the lifting mechanism and then swarm over and hang onto the edge of the bridge as it gets higher and higher. The main problem is that the operator cannot see this from the electric panel as the lifting bridge is blocking the view. One after one the kids drop off the edge into the canal. Usually there is one left who is either very brave, scared, stupid or a combination thereof who is left dangling in mid air. Not a pleasant experience.

On 2017-5-13 at 14:06, Alan de Enfield said:

My thoughts too

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 14:06, Alan de Enfield said:

As you say SOME boaters. We cruise the K and A Newbury to Devizes and generally the villagers are fine. We do make a point of saying hello with a friendly face, most regular towpath walkers recognise our boat and stop for a chat. 

7 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

As you say SOME boaters. We cruise the K and A Newbury to Devizes and generally the villagers are fine. We do make a point of saying hello with a friendly face, most regular towpath walkers recognise our boat and stop for a chat. 

Yes - looking at your avatar it would be a memorable boat if seen on the K&A

Have had kids demanding a ride in Stalybridge and we ended up letting them as we were mooring soon and they were too young to be threatening. But likewise did wonder what would happen if they had an accident, seeing as they were jumping on and off in the lock. Fortunately some PCSOs turned up and they scarpered. I don't know if calling 101 for a police non-emergency would get a response to this kind of thing?

32 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Have had kids demanding a ride in Stalybridge and we ended up letting them as we were mooring soon and they were too young to be threatening.

Do you not think that if they get rides from some they will expect others to give in as well?

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - looking at your avatar it would be a memorable boat if seen on the K&A

Ha ha :clapping:- I am a few hundred years too late, be eye catching though!

30 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I don't see letting the children ride on the bridge as giving in.

OK let me rephrase that.  Don't you feel that letting the kids ride on the bridge is more likely to make them nag others to do the same.   Is that better?

Incidentally my years in the classroom have shown that getting adults to"give in" is exactly what the current generation expect.  Example child approaches you "Please Sir can I do X" is told no.  Afew minutes later you are approached again with words to the effect of "well can I?".   When this happens you begin to build a picture of them continuing to "nag" parents/adults until eventually they say yes.

Just y opinion other opinions are available.

Edit for typo causing spelling mistake.

Edited by Jerra

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

OK let me rephrase that.  Don't you feel that letting the kids ride on the bridge is more likely to make them nag others to do the same.   Is that better?

Incidentally my years in the classroom have shown that getting adults to"give in" is exactly what the current generation expect.  Example child approaches you "Please Sir can I do X" is told no.  Afew minutes later you are approached again with words to the effect of "well can I?".   When this happens you begin to build a picture of them continuing to "nag" parents/adults until eventually they say yes.

Just y opinion other opinions are available.

Edit for typo causing spelling mistake.

I just don't see the harm in letting the children enjoy riding on the bridge. 

I never as a child respected a teacher who just said no to a request. I respected a teacher (my headmaster) who would explain why I wasn't to do something.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I just don't see the harm in letting the children enjoy riding on the bridge. 

I never as a child respected a teacher who just said no to a request. I respected a teacher (my headmaster) who would explain why I wasn't to do something.

This.

If it's not safe, sometimes you have to decline a request. Otherwise I would have no issues letting someone ride a bridge.

Due to turn 30 in ten days time I'm not the oldest here, but certainly still enjoy riding a bridge and generally doing things that are fun and mildly non conforming. Like a figure of eight in Albert Dock or driving my car onto a narrowboat before boating it round braunston promoting the Young Waterways and Boating Society.

Daniel

http://ywbs.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I agree with you, and explain to the children why.

Always. Furthermore, if letting them do something mildly risky, also explain the risks.

The same goes for adults.

Daniel