Newbury to Marlow

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

Our lovely 50 footer has a permanent mooring in Newbury. We plan to visit a friends in Marlow who own Thame side property with vacant mooring where we intend to spend 3 days before returning to Newbury. If we are looking to make it a relaxed cruise eg mooring up of an evening by 3pm ....how many days should we allow and any tips or suggestions on the route...eg stopover moorings etc. I understand for example that Reading centre is best got through as quick as possible? Thanks in anticipation... 

16 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

Our lovely 50 footer has a permanent mooring in Newbury. We plan to visit a friends in Marlow who own Thame side property with vacant mooring where we intend to spend 3 days before returning to Newbury. If we are looking to make it a relaxed cruise eg mooring up of an evening by 3pm ....how many days should we allow and any tips or suggestions on the route...eg stopover moorings etc. I understand for example that Reading centre is best got through as quick as possible? Thanks in anticipation... 

Au contraire, the trip through Reading is fascinating and to be savoured. A wide selection of interesting cruising all within about a five mile stretch of river Kennet. SO much intersting stuff to see!

I'd give yourselves a week for the trip if I were you. You'll constantly be wanting to stop and explore the interesting stuff you'll encounter.  

The Kennet is very gentle this year (we are at Woolhampton right now) so the trip through the Reading Oracle can be enjoyed without needing to worry about the bridge at the end (bet I will hit it after saying that).

I suggest first day down to Woolhampton (above the lock) and a pint (and food?) at the Rowbarge. Next day to the Cunning man. Then an early start to get onto the Thames. There is a small chance of trouble at Fobney lock, though I suspect less in recent years, but its best done early in the day. You could likely get all the way to Marlow but a stop at Henley might be rather nice, though it will cost £8 or so. Then a very very easy day down to Marlow.

..............Dave