Cruising on the Marie Celeste, doomed never to moor

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

It's our first time on the Huddersfield Narrow, joining from the West End at Portland Basin. Last evening we thought we'd never be able to moor, and ever getting to bed! There was another boat following us up, who shared our predicament. 

I'm sure the boat's bottom was dragged along the silt for most of the time. After failing to moor 6 times at a seemingly likely place, and getting stuck, we finally moored on Lock 14 lock landing at 9.30pm! We never saw any mooring areas, except the services, where a boat was already moored.

We phoned the canal society, who's let us have the day moored to the landing - thank goodness.  Only one boat has passed us today, and they were going down the locks, I don't believe we caused any problems.

Wondering if anyone have any tips for this canal, please? I know we should have researched more!  

Thanks for any help! :)

44 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It's our first time on the Huddersfield Narrow, joining from the West End at Portland Basin. Last evening we thought we'd never be able to moor, and ever getting to bed! There was another boat following us up, who shared our predicament. 

I'm sure the boat's bottom was dragged along the silt for most of the time. After failing to moor 6 times at a seemingly likely place, and getting stuck, we finally moored on Lock 14 lock landing at 9.30pm! We never saw any mooring areas, except the services, where a boat was already moored.

We phoned the canal society, who's let us have the day moored to the landing - thank goodness.  Only one boat has passed us today, and they were going down the locks, I don't believe we caused any problems.

Wondering if anyone have any tips for this canal, please? I know we should have researched more!  

I'd have thought 'getting stuck' whilst trying to stop for the night was almost as good as mooring up. Unless you needed to get off the boat I suppose. 

I'd have been sorely tempted to chuck a mudweight in at each end when stuck, and just go to bed. 

Same as driving cars these days. Unless you've got your on property to park the things on your likely to have to keep on and on and on driving around forever and ever 24/7 without ever getting out, or only to put more fuel in it and go to the bog and drive off again endlessly.   Can't park anywhere anymore, big problem.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd have thought 'getting stuck' whilst trying to stop for the night was almost as good as mooring up. Unless you needed to get off the boat I suppose. 

I'd have been sorely tempted to chuck a mudweight in at each end when stuck, and just go to bed. 

That sounds like a great idea, but not when you've got a German Shepherd on board, who's getting agitated to be let off for a pee. Nightmare having him jump back on the boat after wading in the mud

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Same as driving cars these days. Unless you've got your on property to park the things on your likely to have to keep on and on and on driving around forever and ever 24/7 without ever getting out, or only to put more fuel in it and go to the bog and drive off again endlessly.   Can't park anywhere anymore, big problem.

Yes, and the 'bright' ideas, like 'let's see what's round the bend', it just goes on and on! Glad we've no car worries now though 

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yes, and the 'bright' ideas, like 'let's see what's round the bend', it just goes on and on! Glad we've no car worries now though 

Should this happen again, ever, try putting someone on the bank at a bridge hole and send them ahead on foot or on a bike to look for places.

Speeling edit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Main trouble is bl...y great full length boats taking up all the available mooring spaces, usually with only one or two smug rich people on em. Very common outside pubs.  Same with road vehicles dirty great Mercs, Audies, SUV's, again usually with only one, perhaps two folk in them jamming up everything. And then you see the exact opposite, poorer folk with a small GRP boat or Nissan Micra heaving full with families and children, heads , arms and legs sticking out all over the place, but I much prefer them and they're the ones that spend the money.  :)

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Should this happen again, ever, try putting someone on the bank at a bridge hole and send them ahead on foot or on a bike to look for places.

Speeling edit.

Think we've resolved while we're on this canal, only one of us should be on the boat, the other walks to each lock as it's difficult getting off the boat.  It's my turn tomorrow to walk the locks.  Hopefully the 'official' moorings that we're making for will have a space that's clear of silt.  We should have stopped at the lovely moorings in Stalybridge, just outside 24 hour Tesco, except foolishly we wanted to press on (hindsight's a wonderful thingy)

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Main trouble is bl...y great full length boats taking up all the available mooring spaces, usually with only one or two smug rich people on em. Very common outside pubs.  Same with road vehicles dirty great Mercs, Audies, SUV's, again usually with only one, perhaps two folk in them jamming up everything. And then you see the exact opposite, poorer folk with a small GRP boat or Nissan Micra heaving full with families and children, heads , arms and legs sticking out all over the place, but I much prefer them and they're the ones that spend the money.  :)

You've got a good point

1 minute ago, NickF said:

below and above Diggle are both good places. Have you booked Standedge tunnel?

Yes we have Nick, going through on Wednesday, though we've not been given a time.

We're not too sure of the 'etiquette', for instance where do they measure your boat? We've done our calculations, and I believe we're well in the spec, but you never know... The boat must get measured before the winding hole surely?

For a full length boat, mooring places are more difficult, but below Roaches Lock 15W is good, then Uppermill, then Dobcross, then Diggle.  You will be measured at the Diggle portal. You can stay at the other end of the tunnel for one night, or go on to Marsden (don't miss the Riverhead Tap pub). Then below Pigtail lock 32E Then several options in Slaithwaite (pronounced Slawit). Then above 17E, then Milnsbridge (but I don't).  I have several other places I moor which are really good, but I'm only 27ft.

Describing the moorings at Stalybridge as 'lovely' is stretching it a bit, I think!

You'll get used to the HNC - just don't expect things like lock landings!   It requires a bit of ingenuity at times, but is very rewarding. 

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

There was "no water" on the east side earlier this week, boats turned back at lock 1E, west side not much better, maybe improved by now? What has the "canal society" (Huddersfield Canal Society?) got to do with mooring permissions?  CRT were turning boats back through lack of water with the excuse that they would have to buy more water from some water company and they couldn't (or wouldn't) afford it. Anyway, it's raining now so all will be ok.If it's any consolation, our boat's bottom drags in the silt on nearly every canal on the system.

Bill

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yes we have Nick, going through on Wednesday, though we've not been given a time.

We're not too sure of the 'etiquette', for instance where do they measure your boat? We've done our calculations, and I believe we're well in the spec, but you never know... The boat must get measured before the winding hole surely?

Just moor as close to the portal as you can get. There is a water point there and it is worth filling up to get the bows down a bit.Diggle to Marsden in done in the  afternoons. I guess you need to be there by 1pm but I am not absolutely sure on that.

It's my favourite canal but it's certainly hard work. Marsden flight is my favourite on the whole system. 

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

For a full length boat, mooring places are more difficult, but below Roaches Lock 15W is good, then Uppermill, then Dobcross, then Diggle.  You will be measured at the Diggle portal. You can stay at the other end of the tunnel for one night, or go on to Marsden (don't miss the Riverhead Tap pub). Then below Pigtail lock 32E Then several options in Slaithwaite (pronounced Slawit). Then above 17E, then Milnsbridge (but I don't).  I have several other places I moor which are really good, but I'm only 27ft.

Describing the moorings at Stalybridge as 'lovely' is stretching it a bit, I think!

You'll get used to the HNC - just don't expect things like lock landings!   It requires a bit of ingenuity at times, but is very rewarding. 

Great information, thank you.  A cyclist did say there were moorings by a pub, but that was several locks back and he couldn't remember how many locks, if any, we had to go through to get there. Discovered it's at lock 15W (as you say). Sod's law we gave up at 14W! That's our plan, Uppermill, Dobcross and Diggle! 

Glad we can stop off for a night at the end of the tunnel, didn't fancy going through the tunnel for 3 hours, then straight into the locks.

Stalybridge being lovely was in comparison to the first few locks, especially the first one which sadly had a crowd of kids who looked to be high on drugs. Have to hand it to Stalybridge though, they have embraced the canal system and made it a feature of their town.

Know what you mean about lock landings.  It's why I think the one doing the locks will walk the canal.  (Note: we must find room for a bike)

8 hours ago, billh said:

There was "no water" on the east side earlier this week, boats turned back at lock 1E, west side not much better, maybe improved by now? What has the "canal society" (Huddersfield Canal Society?) got to do with mooring permissions?  CRT were turning boats back through lack of water with the excuse that they would have to buy more water from some water company and they couldn't (or wouldn't) afford it. Anyway, it's raining now so all will be ok.If it's any consolation, our boat's bottom drags in the silt on nearly every canal on the system.

Bill

We phoned the CRT helpline, and they put us through to the HNC supervisor lady.  She said she was called out at 7am yesterday because of lack of water at the other side of the tunnel, and said she'd phone her ops this end to assess water level.  Haven't heard anything more.  Only one boat has passed us so far, which is hardly traffic.  Yes, I'm hoping the rain's helped.

6 hours ago, NickF said:

Just moor as close to the portal as you can get. There is a water point there and it is worth filling up to get the bows down a bit.Diggle to Marsden in done in the  afternoons. I guess you need to be there by 1pm but I am not absolutely sure on that.

It's my favourite canal but it's certainly hard work. Marsden flight is my favourite on the whole system. 

Thanks Nick, will do. Good idea about the water.  Boat behind us, was on a mission to get to the tunnel by yesterday (Friday) morning for his booked slot. He said he had to be there by 11, or maybe he said 11.30?

He and one other were exhausted, they had started (last Monday!) from Ellesmere Wharf on the Llangollen.

53 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The best mooring is the one you passed 20 mins ago. Very true.

LOL

Just read the CRT confirmation email (I know should have read it better 1st time) - we have to be at Diggle Portal by 11.30 a.m. on Wednesday, we were told this was the last slot till next Friday. If coming from Marsden end, boats have to be there for 8 a.m.

Didn't want to confuse others. ;)

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

The best mooring is the one you passed 20 mins ago. Very true.

My experience is the best mooring is always one bend further on than you can see.

One the other hand, a crap mooring when you need any mooring, always seems a lot nicer than it looked, once your boat is on it.

Jennifer what you describe is par for the course on the HNC but as Mac says there's a great sense of achievement once you have completed it and it certainly gives you a different perspective on other canals.   Similarly with Standedge, it's like that bit in Crocodile Dundee - call that a tunnel, now this is a tunnel...  

Mooring is easier on the East side, your experience coming up from Ashton is fairly typical I would say, we have stayed overnight on the service point just before bridge 96 the HNC is one canal where you can be pretty certain you won't be in anyone's way.

Water is an ongoing problem as you have found out, and the pounds hold a lot less water than most boaters will be used to.  Occasionally there might not be quite enough depth to clear the lock cill so if the pound looks well down be careful.   I like to check the depth before I enter the locks on the HNC but I am paranoid.    

Marsden is a terrific little town, I would just walk from the moorings at the end of the tunnel.  Actually we walked the dogs over from Diggle while we were waiting for our tunnel slot, it's a nice way to pass the time if the weather is fine.     

6 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Jennifer what you describe is par for the course on the HNC but as Mac says there's a great sense of achievement once you have completed it and it certainly gives you a different perspective on other canals.   Similarly with Standedge, it's like that bit in Crocodile Dundee - call that a tunnel, now this is a tunnel...  

Mooring is easier on the East side, your experience coming up from Ashton is fairly typical I would say, we have stayed overnight on the service point just before bridge 96 the HNC is one canal where you can be pretty certain you won't be in anyone's way.

Water is an ongoing problem as you have found out, and the pounds hold a lot less water than most boaters will be used to.  Occasionally there might not be quite enough depth to clear the lock cill so if the pound looks well down be careful.   I like to check the depth before I enter the locks on the HNC but I am paranoid.    

Marsden is a terrific little town, I would just walk from the moorings at the end of the tunnel.  Actually we walked the dogs over from Diggle while we were waiting for our tunnel slot, it's a nice way to pass the time if the weather is fine.     

Thanks Neil, great post.  Yes we've eyed the level of the cill, and after seeing the Shropshire Lass being stuck on the till with her bow, make us even more cautious.  Must make sure the paddles are WELL DOWN on the double gates :o

I can appreciate this is certainly a 'rite of passage' and we can't wait to see the glorious views.

Thanks everyone for their help and encourgement, got to get ready to cast off now! :D