Featured Posts

We are currently on the Thames heading towards going along the K&A. Both my children inform me that Reading is a good place for eating,drinking and shopping. However I have heard that it's not a good place to moor. Anyone here with experience of the area please feel free to advise. Cheers, Ian. 

I am writing this from the moorings by the Tesco on the river- a nice 72' space all to ourselves!

We have stayed in the prison loop before with no issues, but that was 9 years ago.

There are certainly a lot more boats than there were before, which although it makes moorings scarcer, it does make them feel safer- if you can get over any prejudice about how boats look. It does feel quiet and peaceful here.

We're going to pop up through the Oracle and back tomorrow morning, as I've always wanted to do that since I used to live nearby.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I am still alive, the boat wasnt burnt, what more do you want to know

Sorry, it was a poor attempt at humour, prison, one night... Sincerely thanks for reply I may well stay there. Cheers, Ian.

DSC_2107.JPG.9a9550681cc49698ff987312ade5e884.JPG

DSC_2108.JPG.d6413737d0353bada92ab00ffb5ef011.JPG

Prison loop earlier this evening- space right on the end for a full length boat.

The towpath side either side of the Tesco moorings appear to be de facto visitor moorings too- there's a length of a few hundred feet either side of the wooden landing stage with moored boats, which we found a gap we could fit into.

I have overnighted by the Queens Road multistory car park just before the traffic lights. It can be a bit noisy but never had any trouble. Only once had the boat cast adrift in the prison loop but it was unattended overnight. Stopped there several times since.

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's the Homebase CM community. They've been there for years and nobody seems to mind. At least one forum member amongst them!

I was given to understand that the ownership of that part of the bank is uncertain or that its owned by the  company that  developed Homebase  etc and they can not be bothered so no mooring fees and as its an EA river with presumably riparian rights no time limit as well.

On 12 May 2017 at 19:33, FadeToScarlet said:

I am writing this from the moorings by the Tesco on the river- a nice 72' space all to ourselves!

We have stayed in the prison loop before with no issues, but that was 9 years ago.

There are certainly a lot more boats than there were before, which although it makes moorings scarcer, it does make them feel safer- if you can get over any prejudice about how boats look. It does feel quiet and peaceful here.

We're going to pop up through the Oracle and back tomorrow morning, as I've always wanted to do that since I used to live nearby.

Is the river mooring for Tescos obvious when you come to it from upstream direction? Cheers, Ian.

On 5/13/2017 at 09:28, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's the Homebase CM community. They've been there for years and nobody seems to mind. At least one forum member amongst them!

On 5/14/2017 at 07:50, Tony Brooks said:

I was given to understand that the ownership of that part of the bank is uncertain or that its owned by the  company that  developed Homebase  etc and they can not be bothered so no mooring fees and as its an EA river with presumably riparian rights no time limit as well.

Except that the part of the Kennet that is adjcacent to Homebase is CRT's responsibility - isn't it?

40 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Except that the part of the Kennet that is adjcacent to Homebase is CRT's responsibility - isn't it?

Dunno - It could be argued that it isn't on the main navigable channel.

On 16/05/2017 at 08:33, Tacet said:

I've an idea it isn't. Or at least I think CRT deny that it is.

I certainly remember them (or BW) issuing an announcement a few years ago saying they had no obligation to maintain or dredge the channel around the prison loop. (Presumably in response to calls to do so!)

2 hours ago, ianali said:

Is the river mooring for Tescos obvious when you come to it from upstream direction? Cheers, Ian.

Yes - Come out of the lock, round the corner, past the cheapest land based diesel on the River and on your starboard side you'll see a cluster of boats - and if you're lucky - a space to moor.

The entrance to Tescos is 200x down from the start of the boats - just at the end of the staging. (It's a proper footpath - not a gap in the railings. Further on there are convenient narrowboat lengths between trees for you to tie to (again if not full).  Failing that then, you can moor on the far side of the Kennet turn.

If really desparate, you can moor at the far end of the downstream lock layby - speak to the lockie first - and walk along the towpath - about 500x. 

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

No - The official border is the road bridge just beyond the loop. The lock is not the border

39 minutes ago, billS said:

Dunno - It could be argued that it isn't on the main navigable channel.

HaHa - don't have main navigable channel rules here...

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I certainly remember them (or BW) issuing an announcement a few years ago saying they had no obligation to maintain or dredge the channel around the prison loop. (Presumably in response to calls to do so!)

As above

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As far as I am aware BW's & presumably CaRT's jurisdiction starts at High Bridge Wharf so its near enough the downstream traffic light.

Now up the Kennet, moored last night by the Cunning man. Have some decent beer and ciders here. Didn't stay in Reading but it seemed like the moorings there were OK. Fobney lock was an eye opener after the easy Thames locks, found it rather challenging but fun. 

You might find Woolhampton a bit challenging  after last night rain ( if you got it there )  . Worth walking up and looking at the current before you open the  swingbridge and set the lock . Bunny

48 minutes ago, Bunny said:

You might find Woolhampton a bit challenging  after last night rain ( if you got it there )  . Worth walking up and looking at the current before you open the  swingbridge and set the lock . Bunny

Yes have seen the warnings in my book. Oh for the narrow canals...Cheers,Ian.