LPG conversions on generators

Johny London

Featured Posts

Having decided on lpg as the fuel source for a generator, and worked out what rating of generator I need, I'm keen to make a purchase. But I'm confused by the lpg gizmo itself.

I can buy a genny already converted, with the lpg device either situated on the generator itself, or "on bottle." I'm unsure as to which would suit me best. I'd like to be able to keep the gas bottle in its locker and use some kind of connection point to hook the genny up with a hose nice and quick (so the genny can sit out on the tow path).

My other alternative is to source a genny then add the lpg converter - but these seem to range from £40 up to a couple hundred, some with two main parts (a replacement carb?) some with just the diaphram shaped thing. Confusing.

Am I correct in thinking that the generator could be stored inside the boat as there will be no fuel in it - or would a residue of lpg be trapped in the pipework, making it unsafe for that type of storage?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has or knows about lpg generators and the associated gubbins.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a kipor 2600 that I brought on swindlers freaky friday then  converted to lpg with a kit purchased from sail and trail. The kit I got is mounted on the genny works great and was easy to fit there's a collor with a jet that goes under the carb and a garretson that bolts to the case. I think I phoned sail and trail to specify a longer hose so genny could sit on the bank without any risk of tightness if the boat moves a bit, It's my understanding that as there is no fuel in the genny it can be stored wherever worth noting the extra width with the garretson screwed on the side it does have a quick release fitting so it can be taken of if needed on mine but worth checking whichever kit you go for if storage space is a tight locker. For me much better than petrol.

How do you guys find the Kipor for noise? I notice the 2000 is specified as 73db (full load) at 7m whereas the Honda EU20i quotes 59db under similar conditions.

The Kipor is one of my final three though - that and the Honda or a Hyundai, the latter of which seems to fall somewhere in between the two.

I'm slightly ... but not much, clearer on the lpg bit now. So, no condensed fuel remains trapped in the genny? The lpg kit would be just the hose and the flat silver thing (a garetson?) the sail and trail one is about £170 I think. I presumed that the converter thing made the gas back into liquid so the standard carb could deal with it? (ie vapourize it all over again).

I figured that if I go for lightly used secondhand, I could afford the Honda, then convert it myself - after all it's operated outside so not quite so worried about the whole gas issue.

Hi, there's no fuel left in genny the garretson feeds a collor that sprays the lpg into the carb. To turn the genny of when running on gas you turn the gas bottle off and the genny runs itself empty if that makes sense. I'm not smart enough to do links but there's a couple of you tube vids if you search for "sail and trail lpg conversion kipor". 

It's not as quite as the Honda especially when under heavy loads but that said it's not that noisy considering the difference in cost I would buy another kipor if i needed a new one the noise doesn't bother me but then I don't use it much just for the washing machine and deepest winter charging when the solar can't keep up, if I was using it everyday around company maybe the quiter Honda wouldnt look so expensive but even that's not that quite. 

Think the kit was around £160 but ive had it a few years and I didn't shop around just got the sail and trail one because someone else recommended it. If you can get the genny on a freaky friday with 20% off its the best price I could find one ( order it before the event cus you have to actually pay on the Friday and they don't carry the Stock).

21 hours ago, Johny London said:

I like it's appearance. What's "off-grip" though? My point being, beware mis spelt adverts.

I should think it is noisy so take the 64db @ 7m as being the zero load figure.

Perhaps it is being sold by a slippery customer?  :P

28 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Calon - how long do you find you can run on a 13kg lpg? Or anyone else with an idea of fuel consumption, in the real world.

I assume you mean Calor? Depends on what equipment uses gas on your boat.

If it has a gas boiler,  like the vertical Alde type,  then it is possible to get through 3 13kg bottles in a week with the boiler running 24/7 in the winter,  if there is no other source of heating.

If the boat only has a gas cooker,  then the 13kg bottle can last for several weeks, depending upon how much cooking you do. 

38 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Calon - how long do you find you can run on a 13kg lpg? Or anyone else with an idea of fuel consumption, in the real world.

if your running the genny every 2 days the bottle should last you around 2 - 3 weeks depending on how long you run it for, these are my figures from running through winter @ 3hrs every 2 days.

Thanks - as this is a lpg/generator topic, I was referring to just that. I wonder how many hours a cylinder of calor would power your average generator.

So... roughly 21-36 hours? Ok that's not too bad. A lot cheaper than diesel + engine wear and tear + engine service.  :)

Edited by Johny London

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Surely the key question here is "What is the cost per hour for each fuel?"

Bear in mind that a generator can legitimately run on red diesel.

Bear in mind also that a diesel genny will need to be installed, and cost about ten times the price of a portable LPG.

I was under the impression that running on lpg would be significantly cheaper than on petrol, so roughly as cheap as red diesel. It seems that it is not quite that good. The only figure I have to go on indicates about 2hrs per kg, with a 13kg cylinder probably lasting around 26 hrs? How much are the refills? I haven't bought one yet but thought about £25?

However, it does mean that all the problems of storing and using (and collecting) petrol are resolved - and by contrast cylinders of gas are easy to come by on the cut.

I'd love a built in diesel, and probably by the time the generator I'm intending to buy is knackered, I'll hopefully be able to afford one!

On 12/05/2017 at 16:36, Johny London said:

so the genny can sit out on the tow path

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bear in mind also that a diesel genny will need to be installed

Not this one!

14 hours ago, Johny London said:

I was under the impression that running on lpg would be significantly cheaper than on petrol, so roughly as cheap as red diesel

Still doesn't answer my question regarding cost per hour (or if you prefer, pounds Sterling per kWh).

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Still doesn't answer my question regarding cost per hour (or if you prefer, pounds Sterling per kWh).

Based on GG's post, approx £1 per hour on lpg. Now, anyone got any figures for petrol!

Car wise it costs half to run a car on LPG as it does petrol:cheers:. You can buy the carb kits from Tinley Tech dont know how much because it was a customer job and you just order them:wacko:. The gas leaves the bottle as a gas and is drawn into the engine by the venturi effect, so when it stops there is no fuel in the engine. I have converted a more than one or two generators over the years as a LPG converter and all have worked out cheaper to run. Be aware that propane is very dry and the valve clearances will need checking and adjusting every now and then. Oil will remain clean for a lot longer than when running on petrol but wont last forever so change it as per the makers recommendations. It will require setting up so follow the instructions otherwise it will run crap and stink!! 

• 5 months later...

And still pondering this issue, I wonder if anyone has any experience of this particular thing - rather than the Garretson on its own, its a complete replacement carb as well. It does seem rather cheap...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Dual-Fuel-Carburetor-Carb-LPG-Conversion-kit-For-generator-GX200-170F-Engine/192224866500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This guy has fitted one successfully, it seems...

I think he said it was running a lot quieter, but I couldn't really hear him for the racket from the genny!

7 minutes ago, Johny London said:

And still pondering this issue, I wonder if anyone has any experience of this particular thing - rather than the Garretson on its own, its a complete replacement carb as well. It does seem rather cheap...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Dual-Fuel-Carburetor-Carb-LPG-Conversion-kit-For-generator-GX200-170F-Engine/192224866500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This guy has fitted one successfully, it seems...

I think he said it was running a lot quieter, but I couldn't really hear him for the racket from the genny!

Looks  (sounds) like the perfect generator for the boater who wants to moor ‘on his own’, he could moor in the middle of the busiest area and within minutes he would be either on his own, or, the generator would be in the cut.

Most of the conversion kits I have seen come with their own gas regulator to connect direct to the bottle. If however you wanted to T off of the boats existing gas supply (via a shut off valve) would the boats original regulator be up to the job? I.e. Does the boats regulator supply gas at the same pressure as the one supplied with the kit?