Your opinion on these?

Sally Grim

Featured Posts

I am not going to read the zillion replies. My twopenneth. Some brokers will only sell very nicely presented boats on their brokerage whilst others will sell any condition boat. That does not mean that only the brokers that sell well looked after boats are the only ones with well looked after boats on their books. My bro in law bought a superb boat from Whilton marine. In short look at the boat not the broker. Private are also always worth a look if the boat tickles your fancy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2017 at 16:12, Sally Grim said:

We´re still searching for our first boat. We are more and more disillusioned about how much we should budget to get a decent boat in good running condition. I´m concerned we need to double our original budget. Lately we´ve only been internet browsing, but have seen some boats which looks good in the photos. I´ve had a lot of good advice from you folks before, may I run a couple of more boats by you?

This one is on budget, but it´s been for sale at Whilton for some time now. Any idea of why it isn´t selling?

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3875.aspx

And then the ones above our budget:

This one looks quite lovely - but maybe a bit expensive given that it is from 1999? And it lacks a stove, and perhaps some storage?

http://abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3137web/3137abnb.php?BoatID=3137

And this one, longer than we looked for. And why does it say G.Reeves, when canal plan says Aynho Dock Services?

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/honey-b/ 

Greatly appreciate your opinion on these ones.

Sally

I viewed your first choice & big question.....why not selling?...fairly modern build, can't be that bad!....?

I have to say that it looked 20yrs older than it's build date, and had never been touched, I even laughed with the guys in the office and they were suitably diplomatic whilst agreeing with general feedback

On 2017-5-14 at 20:23, Neil2 said:

Having the bed right in front of the stern doors is draughty for a start but can you imagine what it's like when it's raining?  You could of course just use the bow doors for getting on and off, but when cruising at some point you will have to open the doors/hatch and your bedroom is then open to the elements.  I reckon this is why the reverse layout has become popular on cruisers.  

With a trad you have the back cabin as a "buffer".

Personally I think a cruiser/semi trad stern is a luxury on a boat under 50 foot.  We all have different priorities but the hardest thing to get used to on a narrowboat is the lack of storage space, especially for those items you just don't want in your lounge/bedroom.  That's why you see so many liveaboards with loads of clutter on the roof but even if you are a leisure boater there's never enough storage.  That's the other advantage a trad has and it matters more on a small boat.  Of course the trade off is the lack of social space outside if you are a couple/family but this isn't as important as you might think on canals where there's locks to work, bridges to open etc.  On rivers I will admit I often wish we had a cruiser but then again on rivers I wish I had a "proper" boat.. (that ought to get a response). 

I have a trad and we sleep in the back cabin. We boat in the rain, that means having the slide open as that is where you stand, not out on the back and we haven't had a problem.