Guys advice please if you can spare a minute - Thinking of moving onto a boat.

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's Pollux

I remember them well '- "The Heavenly Twins"

He's the dog in the original French Magic Roundabout! :D

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

And Florence was Margot. Not sure what Mr Rusty was. 

Azalée the cow, Ambroise the snail, Flappy the Spanish rabbit, Margote a girl, and Jouvence Pio, a gardener who starts every sentence with "Hep Hep Hep".

According to Wiki-spin ;)

Just now, Meanderingviking said:

Azalée the cow, Ambroise the snail, Flappy the Spanish rabbit, Margote a girl, and Jouvence Pio, a gardener who starts every sentence with "Hep Hep Hep".

According to Wiki-spin ;)

But what about Mr Rusty, the roundabout owner?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so been a tad quiet for a few weeks but we now have all the money in place and ready to roll. So far every boat we have liked we have been thwarted :huh: but this one has been available just over a week now and still no pending offers and such like so we're off too see her tomorrow early doors. With a pocket full of cash.....not literally and the determination to find the right boat we will get their. (Still have my quicksilver 540 fishing boat to sell yet) 2x mooring fees :unsure: to pay its gunna be a pricy time.

On 5/20/2017 at 18:10, Matt&Jo said:

Also make sure you have regular oil changes as after 6 months of no oil movement you can get coagulation and screw the big ends.....i did that after 6 months in iraq. Was goig to do an oil change and my wife was late for work so i risked it and paid the price.....6k car written off pritty much got 1k for it.......

Hmmm I'm not sure I buy that....

Any lubrication chemists here who can tell us about oil coagulation? I've never heard of it!

57 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm I'm not sure I buy that....

Any lubrication chemists here who can tell us about oil coagulation? I've never heard of it!

Mike I assure you this happened it was a Vauxhall Astra started it up ran around 10-15 miles and the engine when very loud and big ends shot....... Wether you buy it or not sadly for me it happened :wacko:

A very quick Google will prove it Mike oil sludge........

34 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Mike I assure you this happened it was a Vauxhall Astra started it up ran around 10-15 miles and the engine when very loud and big ends shot....... Wether you buy it or not sadly for me it happened :wacko:

A very quick Google will prove it Mike oil sludge........

I'm not disputing your engine screwed itself. I'm surprised that sludge can cause it.

You're right a brief google throws up a few poorly written articles about it, which seem to suggest failure to change the oil. A lot of unsupported assertions in the three articles I read about it though.

None of the articles I read said simply leaving your car standing for six months will cause it. They all focused on failing to change the oil frequently enough, leading to saturation with suspended solids.  When did you previously change the oil?

I'm not saying I think you are making it up, I'm interested and trying to learn about an effect I've never heard of before. I'm usually pretty careless about oil change frequencies myself but have never had a disaster like yours.

Edit to add the last para.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

When car sales are low, new cars can sit in stockyards for upto a year before sale, and they don't change the oil.  I suspect your engine failure is related to old dirty oil getting loads of stuff settling out as a sediment and blocking oil ways, new clean oil is not - as I understand it - going to cause a problem.

No new clean oil will be fine but my car was used but had service history. It was around 4 years old when i got it. I serviced it 1nce myself then when due again a year later (i did low mileage) i was posted to iraq including 3 months pre tour training so car had little use then followed by 6 months away. This resulted in the engine failure of the big ends due to oil coagulation in tye filter and starving the engine effectivley..... bummer for me and an expensive mistake.

Now every 6 months my car gets an oil change.........

8 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

No new clean oil will be fine but my car was used but had service history. It was around 4 years old when i got it. I serviced it 1nce myself then when due again a year later (i did low mileage) i was posted to iraq including 3 months pre tour training so car had little use then followed by 6 months away. This resulted in the engine failure of the big ends due to oil coagulation in tye filter and starving the engine effectivley..... bummer for me and an expensive mistake.

Very worrying. 

The point I'm trying to ask is how do you know it was oil coagulation that caused the failure?

What evidence was the garage basing their diagnosis on? Did they come up with any evidence of this and show you, say, the oil filter cut open and blocked solid with deposits? 

Did your oil pressure light come on before the failure? 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to understand the technical details of what happened as all this is news to me and I've a life-long interest in engines. Vintage lumps in particular.

In addition my father-in-law was a lubrications scientist at Shell most of his professional life and this never cropped up in any of my discussions about engine lubrication with him. I'm very concerned at such a large hole in my knowledge!

10 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

I am fascinated by these types of technical issues, so I had a google.  Oil contamination can result in sludge formation.  Water (possibly condensation, and short trips where the burning fuel produces water as a byproduct of combustion, which does not boil off as the engine does not get hot) can do this, but even worse it would appear is glycol /(coolant) contamination.  So a small leak from the coolant system into the oil could have serious effects.  Of course we can only speculate on your unfortunate failure as the engine is no doubt long gone.  Also in your case the engine just stood for 6 months, and if the oil were a bit wet the oil becomes more acid and both drains away from the bearing surfaces and what little remains is not as protective as it should be.  So when started, metal on metal damage will happen.  So worst case big end wear due to corrosion and oil starvation due to oil sludge causing further damage, and possibly lumps of crud that had settled out in the sum being churned up and blocking the oilways.

I think the best you can do is rather than change the oil every 6 months, is to stick the manufacturers service plan AND have an oil change just before leaving the car unused for months.

Edited by Chewbacka

Thsi is bringing to mind a discussion on here a few months ago where it was alleged that vintage diesels left sitting around unused for months or years on end occasionally had their main and big end bearing shells corroded away for no obvious reason.

ISTR Martyn of MPS saying this was a known effect. I wonder if it is related.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so still no update on a boat as we cant find what we want..... but we are looking at potentialy building a sailaway but a sailaway with an extra 15k spent internally to almost bring her to completion......then i see something very interesting......... has anyone ever seen or heard of the pioneer slimline widebeam??? Its a 9ft wide widebeam designed to fit in the smaller locks giving more living space with clever compact design of the narrowboats. Is this slimline really able to cruise the north south divide? If so it is surely worth the extra money......

8 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Ok so still no update on a boat as we cant find what we want..... but we are looking at potentialy building a sailaway but a sailaway with an extra 15k spent internally to almost bring her to completion......then i see something very interesting......... has anyone ever seen or heard of the pioneer slimline widebeam??? Its a 9ft wide widebeam designed to fit in the smaller locks giving more living space with clever compact design of the narrowboats. Is this slimline really able to cruise the north south divide? If so it is surely worth the extra money......

Its neither one nor the other. It cant go anywhere near narrow canals and is narrower than needed to be for more comfortable living. It will be way more comfy and stable than a sewer tube narrow boat but in all honesty its a daft beam for your intended useage.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its neither one nor the other. It cant go anywhere near narrow canals and is narrower than needed to be for more comfortable living. It will be way more comfy and stable than a sewer tube narrow boat but in all honesty its a daft beam for your intended useage.

Just googled it and one on the duck. Its just a Liverpool boats " Collingwood " if you must offering, nowt wrong with it other than dimensions.

21 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Its a 9ft wide widebeam designed to fit

It could be designed to fit the Mon & Brec canal which is 'not connected' to the rest of the system and was designed for 9 foot beam boat.

Mon & Brec based boat owners must buy their boats somewhere.

26 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Is this slimline really able to cruise the north south divide?

No

What about the k&a and grand union as this will be our intended bonifiedi continuouse network area. I have read about a narrow lock at the bottom of the grand union but cant find a definitive on that........