Guys advice please if you can spare a minute - Thinking of moving onto a boat.

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

No point. Red wine is best not kept in the fridge, and white wine is only useful for cleaning the bath.

Haven't got a bath so better drink it - only the best Bolly daaahhling ..............

(Do enjoy a cheeky little Merlot though) :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Does anybody see anything their in the description to worry you? Is the izuzu engine a respected engine....i know its not a beta.....

No oven/grill/washing machine/bath. 

Needs blacking

I believe isuzu are good engines

Edited by rusty69

I'm not an engine expert, but I have not heard anything untoward. The spec is good for a first time boat, and you are fortunate you can spend enough to not have to buy a complete shed. I hope all goes well. 

Don't forget to put the celebration champers in the second fridge :clapping:

4 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Will the inverter not smash the back doors out of the 4 leisure batterys if not recieving solar top up? If i stop off for a week i dont want to be runni g the engine for 2/3 hours a day.....silent genny is an option i guess

And do you expect your 12 volt one to run for a week. ALL electric fridges use power. If my Trojans were in good order I think I could do 4 days between recharging, as it is I can only do two. Not sure how long the recharge would take.

8 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Does anybody see anything their in the description to worry you? Is the izuzu engine a respected engine....i know its not a beta.....

Isuzu engines are awesome. True fact that the hire fleet owner here swaps the used isuzu engines out of the hire fleet when selling the boats on and fits new beta engines in and fits the used isuzu engines into his brand new fleet, he also puts brand new beta engines in to some peoples boats and puts their isuzu in a new hire boat. There has not been one complete failure of any of the isuzu engines so far.

One thing that does worry me is the boat builder got done for growing a certain smokable plant to help keep his business going as he was in debt to the tune of 150000 according to a newspaper article.....now renamed to nick thorpe boat building and have won awards. So a real story of ashes to riches....... get the punn ashes.......weed.....no......ah i give up i really do.:P

Good to hear the engine has pedigree. Quite excited now. Wont be happy if i drive 3hrs for a crapper but we must if we want to find our personal diamond in the rough.....in my case more of a bright bloody pink ruby in the rough........lucky im quiting work or the blokes would loose all respect for me.....well what little i had.....

18 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Red wine must be kept chilled, then decantered, then allowed to breathe.

:)

Not until I have had two glasses. Before that it must be decanted. After that it is liable to be decanterrrred.

On 2017-5-17 at 23:06, dmr said:

At the end of April we parked the car (at a friendly canalside business for a reasonable fee) and suddenly had a wonderful sense of freedom. Will not collect the car till November.

.............Dave

I'm interested in the condition you find the car after 6 months of storage. Do you get someone to look after or maintain it? 

Last time I left a car for that amount of time there was a list of problems; flat battery, flat tyres (not slashed or anything like that), seized brakes and slight mould on seats (due to lack of fresh air).

Was a fairly new car aswell, cars like to be driven and loved.

46 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

If anybody comes across a very modern interior or contemporary 60-65ft semi trad or cruiser stern narrow please let me know. :D cheers.

Rusty she is a nice looking vessel i must say!

Not exactly in your remit, but...... how about a tug:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/sm-9425-echo-tug-deck-narrowboat/174504

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, Canal321 said:

I'm interested in the condition you find the car after 6 months of storage. Do you get someone to look after or maintain it? 

Last time I left a car for that amount of time there was a list of problems; flat battery, flat tyres (not slashed or anything like that), seized brakes and slight mould on seats (due to lack of fresh air).

We pay a little money to the place where we park the car and they drive it round their car park once every month or so. Previously years it has been left with friends who never quite got round to starting it and yes, there were many problems. It would need a new battery every year and one year the alternator rusted solid. We have given up on the air con, the pump fails if the car is not used regularly and is just too expensive to keep fixing. Tyres sometimes need a little air after 6 months but not always. If you do leave a car its often a good idea to park with the handbrake off. A bit of initial graunching is to be expected from rusted brake discs but quickly sorts itself out. Don't park in deep shade under trees, a bit of sunlight keeps the mould and damp away. We leave the car for the summer, I suspect leaving it over a winter would be less good.

...............Dave

Also make sure you have regular oil changes as after 6 months of no oil movement you can get coagulation and screw the big ends.....i did that after 6 months in iraq. Was goig to do an oil change and my wife was late for work so i risked it and paid the price.....6k car written off pritty much got 1k for it.......

3 hours ago, Canal321 said:

I always simply sell the car as they do not like being stood it will deteriorate faster than water downt plug ole. Cars are ten a penny I simply buy another when needed and flog it again when not in use.

On 2017-5-19 at 18:18, rusty69 said:

Thats some heavy s**t

Have you tried philadelphia lite, for a lighter bog emptying experience? 

I would of thought spinach would be better. Aftervall it works for Popeye! :D