Urgent Fridge help

Glynn

Featured Posts

We have both a Shoreline under counter larder fridge and under counter Shoreline freezer. Had them for about 12 years with no issues. Not sure what the look of a fridge is ie marine or domestic what matters is the working gubbins, in the case of the Shoreline the compressor is a 12v Danfos which is considered the benchmark of compressors.

Phil

7 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

We have both a Shoreline under counter larder fridge and under counter Shoreline freezer. Had them for about 12 years with no issues. Not sure what the look of a fridge is ie marine or domestic what matters is the working gubbins, in the case of the Shoreline the compressor is a 12v Danfos which is considered the benchmark of compressors.

Phil

the weaco is more designed to be in a boat, one example is the door been lockable and also can be held open when not in use.  I think it has a more modern controller than the shoreline, but I've not really gone into the tech specs.

personally I prefer the Indel fridges, but that's purely on looks as well as function.

Edited by Robbo

not sure I've ever felt the need to lock my fridge or freezer doors and if they have ever needed to be left open I see no problem in keeping the doors ajar. We used to be on tidal waters which could be lumpy at times but never had a door pop open

Phil

The Shoreline one we may be interested  in is merely a Currys essentials basic fridge freezer costing £119 at Currys (230v) or £530 in 12 v guise.

This is what prompted the question about Waeco, since they are not ( or maybe not) an altered voltage fridge. i.e. they were/maybe were a purpose designed low voltage fridge whereas  the Shorelines are merely a standard fridge with a compressor change. 

The works are the works.  Performance data for the Danfoss compressor is readily available. I expect the WAECO numbers are also out there.

The key question is really about the cold box itself.

A domestic cold box is usually today designed to get a good efficiency rating, at thecost of internal space. Depending on your use (Holiday vs Liveaboard) you might prefer more space at the cost of a little extra battery discharge.

Other possible differences in a 'marine' version are more about price point and lumpy water specific features.

N

Just throwing this in for interest, our Shoreline fridge has the same size cabinet as our Shoreline freezer, the difference is the capacity. The larder fridge is 110 litres capacity while the freezer is 80litres capacity meaning the freezer has the equivalent of an extra 30litres of insulation.

Phil

12 hours ago, Glynn said:

The Shoreline one we may be interested  in is merely a Currys essentials basic fridge freezer costing £119 at Currys (230v) or £530 in 12 v guise.

That looks like a business opportunity for someone, taking Curry's fridges ans changing the motors for 12v

misuse of the word 'urgent' methinks. :) (in topic title)

I would be comparing the energy consumption quoted for each model in kWh/year or similar unit.  Noise is another issue for me as some are noisier than others but this can't be assessed in the shop; you'd have to find reviews.

Edited by mross

35 minutes ago, Just Heaven said:

That looks like a business opportunity for someone, taking Curry's fridges ans changing the motors for 12v

There was - something like 12v fridges dot com. He doesn't do that anymore - I wonder why ? It's a 'bodge' in that the Danfoss uses  R134 (?) refrigerant which is now 'banned' but new fridges use R600a - It works but I'm not sure of the ramifications.

Modern good quality fridges are very much more efficient - making a 240v fridge more practical. I'll be fitting a Liebherr small FF  'cos it's the only A++ Fridge available. Now that may be worth converting or get an inverter to run it on 240v.....

Don't forget that the inverter itself uses energy, so if you have to run it all the time for the fridge to work you need to factor in that consumption.

Does anyone have experience of the wee portable fridges designed to be plugged into a car lighter socket? Obviously no good for a live-aboard, but for occasional recreational use?

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't forget that the inverter itself uses energy, so if you have to run it all the time for the fridge to work you need to factor in that consumption.

Does anyone have experience of the wee portable fridges designed to be plugged into a car lighter socket? Obviously no good for a live-aboard, but for occasional recreational use?

We used to use one for camping...I believe they are horrendously inefficient 12v wise.... but then I guess they really expect to have a car alternator powering them for the most part....

So I suppose for occasional use they may work for some people.....

They are bloody useless.  They only cool a few degrees below their surroundings.  OK for red wine but useless for white wine, medication and other essentials.  Much better to use an Eski and an ice-pack or buy ice at a shop.

Edited by mross

19 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

We used to use one for camping...I believe they are horrendously inefficient 12v wise.... but then I guess they really expect to have a car alternator powering them for the most part....

14 minutes ago, mross said:

They are bloody useless.  They only cool a few degrees below their surroundings.  OK for red wine but useless for white wine, medication and other essentials.  Much better to use an Eski and an ice-pack or buy ice at a shop.

Thanks both!

I was replying to Machpoint005 who asked "Does anyone have experience of the wee portable fridges designed to be plugged into a car lighter socket?"

It seems, after doing some research, that they can cool 16C below ambient.  But they recommend not to use for perishables which is tantamount to admitting that they don't maintain 5C.  Quite important when you think of the possible temps in a narrowboat in summer!  And who wants beer that's not quite cold enough? Yuck!  They typically use about 50W so quite a drain if they are struggling and running 24//7.

We have a Shoreline larder fridge which has been good.  Previously we had a version with a small freezer box in the top that was useless, so with the larder fridge you just get more usable space.  If you also want a freezer than a sperate unit makes more sense especialy if you get a chest type which can be housed in a dinnette base to hide it away.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I have, and still use it occasionally. If you put some beer in it to cool down while you go sailing, your car battery will be as flat as a witch's t*t by the time you get back.
Don't ask me how I know this...

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

I'd say 'inefficient' is the wrong word. A fridge can be inefficient but work perfectly well despite using a lot of fuel. 'Ineffective' would be more accurate.

I too have discovered they simply have no cooling power. Put bluntly, they don't work. Put something at room temp into one, power it up and two hours later inside will still be at 15 degrees C in my experience. I dunno how they get away with selling them.