Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

It is all a sham there is no Vatican - it is a painted backdrop with actors playing out the roles.....you can even see a 2nd century Roman centurian in one of the pictures and another speaking with a lisp......or was that Monty Python Life of Brian :unsure:

Let me be the first to congratulate you, and award you in honour of a witty reply  your first "greenie". May you get many more.

(sorry it wasn't awarded by the pope)

OK, another day, another Q....

Would a semi trad be of any particular value to a solo liveaboard.  I thnk I might use it as

wood storage, and maybe for a sit down to shelter from the wind....

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Would a semi trad be of any particular value to a solo liveaboard.  I thnk I might use it as

In my view the important ting for a livaboard is internal space so as a semi-trad is only a cruiser stern with false "cabin" sides I think that as long as a trad allows easy, non-twisting and non-stooping access to the rear cabin the trad will give a foot or so of extra space.

To use the back of a semi-trad for wood or any other kind of storage that needs to be kept dry would I think require a cover unless it has full length sliding hatch over the deck area.

Once you make rear access difficult you are obliged to get on and off at the front and in view of what you have said about age etc. I would not, from personal experience, think that would be a sensible idea.

Edited by Tony Brooks

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Its not about chocolate either! 

It's got nothing to do with Vorsprung durch technique, you know? And it's not about you joggers who go round and round and round

Richard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Let me be the first to congratulate you, and award you in honour of a witty reply  your first "greenie". May you get many more.

(sorry it wasn't awarded by the pope)

..."You're first Greenie".....ermmm....is that good!? So long as I don't wipe it on the sleeve of my sweater?

I got advised I had received a Neutral something......I wondered whether that was a way of telling me to stop posting :huh:

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Actually I think it's illegal for a single hander to have anything other than a trad.

If you intend to live on your boat then the wood has to go on the roof of course.  

Boating is a standing up activity.  You are allowed to sit on the cabin roof from time to time but only on those long straight stretches of the North Oxford or the Shropshire Union that go on for several days.  

22 hours ago, LadyG said:

UPDATE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192168545519?euid=ad92915308b34bd086d1b5c80514bfa3&bu=43105217050&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I agree with the pricing and apreciate comments on the engine,  however it was surveyed, and some mods made, but the hull was stated to be better than most modern boats. The survey is available.

You have to remember that older boats used British Steel, modern boats use Chinese, so they need to be thicker.

The owners state they removed the SF stove due to dirt, the whole boat has obviously been re fitted out in the last few years.

I am not sure what you mean about 30hp under a cruiser deck?

I am not keen on a cruiser type, but that is something I can only decide after viewing a few.

I dont like it, both bow and stern will take up to much room out of what is already a small boat for livaboard, no stove, no way of heating water whilst cruising and an old very noisy lister! Its very expensive for what it is. As for chinese steel quality boat builders dont use it.

My first boat was ex hire fleet and was a very good boat for the money I would broaden my search and as others have said you have to be on location and view them to know what they are really like

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I dont like it, both bow and stern will take up to much room out of what is already a small boat for livaboard, no stove, no way of heating water whilst cruising and an old very noisy lister! Its very expensive for what it is. As for chinese steel quality boat builders dont use it.

My first boat was ex hire fleet and was a very good boat for the money I would broaden my search and as others have said you have to be on location and view them to know what they are really like

Is there a RSPCL (Royal Society For The Protection Of Listers)? I can't fathom why some people (and you aren't the only one on this forum) don 't like the SR2s, SR3s (which is probably what this boat has) and so on. They are not "very noisy", they are rugged, characterful and reassuringly regular.

...in a rather stentorian way.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Is there a RSPCL (Royal Society For The Protection Of Listers)? I can't fathom why some people (and you aren't the only one on this forum) don 't like the SR2s, SR3s (which is probably what this boat has) and so on. They are not "very noisy", they are rugged, characterful and reassuringly regular.

I bet your favourite actor is Brian Blessed isn't it?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Rugged - yes - that is until they fill their sumps with fuel.

Air cooling has no water jacket to dampen the sounds of combustion and this i9s generally accepted in automotive circles so they will always be noisier than a water cooled unit with the same degree of wear.

If there is not an adequate supply of cool air AND, more to the point, adequate hot air ducting there are likely to be smoke problems at the every least - SLs used to pop their piston inserts without adequate cooling air. I looked at the photos of the boat in question and I noted no external views of the hull were provided so I could not see external cooling ducts but the "in cockpit" ones seemed too small for air cooling to my eyes. I doubt that particular engine has any cooling ducts/trunks.

Are SR3s 30hp? I thought probably more like 20 to 25 so exactly what engine has it got. Happy to be enlightened on the hp. if its no 30hp what else has been presented with a degree of spin?

Well, actually, after a bit of a shock, I am thinking, "practical", and I can paint the purple door, though there is a kind of "door" theme going on.

What Q do I need to ask, to get a proper detailed spec?

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

Well, actually, after a bit of a shock, I am thinking, "practical", and I can paint the purple door, though there is a kind of "door" theme going on.

What Q do I need to ask, apart from a proper detailed spec?

Why it has house windows in it?

Just now, lulu fish said:

Why it has house windows in it?

I think the reply might be "it seemed like a good idea at the time"!

... don;t you like it at all lulu fish?

Has to be better than condensation, surely?

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think the reply might be "it seemed like a good idea at the time"!

... don;t you like it at all lulu fish?

Has to be better than condensation, surely?

If it was a good idea, you would see more boats like that.  

Other than the windows, it is just an old boat with a recent poor quality owner fitout. I wouldn't go near it.

Not only odd looking windows - they look quite small for "square as opposed to port hole" windows, but the internal doors seem to be old house doors. There is such a mix of colour schemes (purple, blue and green in the loo alone) that it looks like a DIY fit out where they have just used whatever was cheap. None of the photos show the fire but the chimney looks to me as if the fire would be too close to that settee . Doesn't strike me as a well fitted out boat.

haggis

Edited by haggis

oh, I rather thought the builder and the original fitter out were well respected, though obviously there has been some modifications which need sorted, like beefing up the warmth and security of the bow doors, and probably "doing something" to the other doors, but apart from that  it has some desired features:

a separate bedroom

open plan lounge

SF stove [need details] but looks to be professionally fitted

modern electrics [BSS]

and some not so good points:

no alternative heating

no bedroom heating

no detailed specification

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not only odd looking windows - they look quite small for "square as opposed to port hole" windows, but the internal doors seem to be old house doors. There is such a mix of colour schemes (purple, blue and green in the loo alone) that it looks like a DIY fit out where they have just used whatever was cheap. None of the photos show the fire but the chimney looks to me as if the fire would be too close to that settee . Doesn't str

ike me as a well fitted out boat.

haggis

I can move the settee, its faacing thewrong way surely? I prefer chairs and foot stool I think, but now you mention it, there's no dining facility.

I can replace the doors, but where did the original ones go?... as far as I was aware Stenson was a respected/well known fitter.

What I am trying to say is, the basic boat is OK [nice bow lines], but somewhere along the line, a manic  DIYer has had a field day.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

oh, I rather thought the builder and the original fitter out were well respected, though obviously there has been some modifications which need sorted, like beefing up the warmth and security of the bow doors, and probably "doing something" to the other doors, but apart from that  it has some desired features:

a separate bedroom

open plan lounge

SF stove [need details] but looks to be professionally fitted

modern electrics [BSS]

and some not so good points:

no alternative heating

no bedroom heating

no detailed specification

The safety cert was done over a year ago. I would be wary that the recent refurb and electrics have been done since that. 

3 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

The safety cert was done over a year ago. I would be wary that the recent refurb and electrics have been done since that. 

Why would you presume the electrics have been redone?