Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Let's be positive about her efforts.

I don't believe anyone has a problem with OP (or anyone else) trying to learn, but arguing with folk who obviously know what they're talking about (Tony B, Cap'n Peg & others) does nothing to endear her to us, does it?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Its a bit like learning everything there is to know about cars by watching top gear:)

Top Gear is about cars?

On 21/05/2017 at 23:29, Athy said:

I would suggest that the lady is trying her best to learn everything she can about narrowboats. This is a Good Thing, is it not? Let's be positive about her efforts.

Can you nominate a single piece of advice she has accepted at face value, rather than quibbled and argued about it?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, that is a definite plus point, as it should keep maintenance costs down for the foreseeable future. Without referring back to the advert, I think she has a complete set of new batteries, for example.

Yes. Which would tend to contradict your earlier post where you wrote: 

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

... suggesting that the boat has been carefully maintained.

I'd say it suggests the total opposite. It's been so poorly maintained that everything has had to be replaced. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

No, its a comedy. I thought thats what cwdf was. Did i get it wrong? 

No, you got that right. So is CWDF is about cars too?

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well, you do know that recipes are constantly tweaked to provide more profit.  Mr Kipling knows all about that, and as for Cadbury well, what can I say, they call it chocolate,  oh no its not called that any more! 

You have to remember that steel from any source has to be tested and be what it is supposed to be, there are many hundreds if not thousands of types of steel all intended for particular uses, check out tool steel, hobbing steel, lead alloy steel, high carbon steel just to name a few.

Phil

OK folks, apologies if I 've ruffled a few feathers, but I do have "40 years before the mast" as we Salty Dogs say,  so not a complete novice.

In particular I prefer to have certain assurances in writing before I visit with a view to purchasing, these then constitute part of the contract, and there can be no "you said this, I said that" type disagreement

Unfortunately I don't currently have a bag full of cash to hand over, or I would just buy a boat, keep my flat and sail happily off up the GU, knowing that if I have made a big mistake it can all be unravelled,  but hey, when I do have said bag of cash, and no flat, I will also have two or three boats on the short list, and viewed,  a top surveyor booked, and a tin of black stuff at the ready. 

PS, re the boat which has had the interior lined with antique oak sheeting [a modern finish rather than actual 100 year old wood], if you look carefully at the photos and at the description, there are quite a few things which mitigate against it as a liveaboard, but if it is easy to view, I will still view, as long as the owner is compliant [he won't be if he has read this thread of course].

Pricewise, yes it is expensive [I know this from my research on here], but if one day I do find a boat that is 100% "perfect", then I would be prepared to pay a slight premium, in this instance it looks as though she has had a one off re-fit and significant work done fairly recently, following a survey. Retro fitting of a SF stove would be relatively easy.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you nominate a single piece of advice she has accepted at face value, rather than quibbled and argued about it?

1] Surveying by my own independent surveyor

2] Taking advice from certain companies/individuals/vendor surveys with a pinch of salt.

3] The need to visit a number of boats before making any decision.

4] checking paperwork for proof of ownership. [not sure if that was mentioned].

5] Assurances that Arthur would be OK

6] encouragement that it is not a complety stupid thing for a seventy year old novice narrowboater to do.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Its a bit like learning everything there is to know about cars by watching top gear:)

You have a point, of course - but I'd say it's more like carefully reading a guide book before visiting a place of interest where you haven't been before. Come to think of it, the guide book has numerous chapters, each written by people who have experience of the place in question but who view it from different angles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-Narrowboat-Project-/322523997292?hash=item4b17eda46c:g:7skAAOSwDiBZHuH5

in the interests of research only, 

is this really how boats were built in 1896, does that look like a 14K superstructure, do I need to buy another kilo of salt?

Why does it have an engine but no horse?

............. plus points:

1] blacked recently

2] not sinking

any comments on the bow please...................

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

............. plus points:

1] blacked recently

2] not sinking

3] "A blank canvas offering you the exciting opportunity to imbue this historic craft with your own ideas and personality..", blah blah woffle.

It's not uncommon for bits of old boats, such as BCN "Joey" boats, to be incorporated into a more recent build. So parts of it (the bow section?) could indeed date from 1896.

If there's one myth that a newcomer to steel boats should get well and truly out of their heads it is this fallacy that the steel they used BITD is far superior to the modern stuff made out of recycled washing machines etc etc.

I'll bet no-one on this forum could care less about what steel their car is made from, but there was a lot of talk about sub standard steel back in the 1970's.  The fact is the debate about cheap Chinese/Russian steel stopped as soon as motor manufacturers learned how to properly rustproof their cars and customers decided not to accept shoddy work.  These days when you see a rusty three year old transit you know it's because they make the paint just thick enough to last until the fleet sends it to auction, not because Ford use rubbish steel.

It doesn't matter much what steel a 30 year old boat hull is made from, what does matter is how well the owner has looked after it. 

Edited by Neil2
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, mross said:

We live in a post-truth era.  Other people's facts are no longer trusted.  There seem to be fewer authoritative sources, or they are harder to find.

There is still the Pope. You'll usually find him in the Vatican.

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Isn't that a rust remover? No wonder he's in pristine condition

It is all a sham there is no Vatican - it is a painted backdrop with actors playing out the roles.....you can even see a 2nd century Roman centurian in one of the pictures and another speaking with a lisp......or was that Monty Python Life of Brian :unsure:

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

The Pope has moved Quarters,he now Resides in the Fertan,better Gardens, apparently

With these terrible jokes we could be the next chuckle brothers. 

To you, to me. To you, to me

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

With these terrible jokes we could be the next chuckle brothers. 

To you, to me. To you, to me

The Pope is resigning. He said he feels there's just no room for advancement, it's a dead-end job!

Back to work....will look forward to reading the jokes later.