Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The difference is that you are unlikely to view the trainset before purchase. Only a fool would buy a used boat without viewing. (i bet a load will say they have though) 

Thing is, this advert, photos and descrption, are more likely to put off all but the most innocent, or the most determined.

I see quite a few Ebay boats that disappear rapidly, or that are obviously not as described , this one, is amazing, for all the wrong reasons

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Fox-narrow-boat-40-best-ever-seen-an-original-showroom-boat-/152553305615?hash=item2384e2b60f:g:BTYAAOSwa~BYQplx

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Thing is, this advert, photos and descrption, are more likely to put off all but the most innocent, or the most determined.

I see quite a few Ebay boats that disappear rapidly, or that are obviously not as described 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Fox-narrow-boat-40-best-ever-seen-an-original-showroom-boat-/152553305615?hash=item2384e2b60f:g:BTYAAOSwa~BYQplx

Your still looking at it though, so could be a benefit to you. Its a simple matters to request more photos and details before viewing, which im sure you have done. 

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I see quite a few Ebay boats that disappear rapidly, or that are obviously not as described , this one, is amazing, for all the wrong reasons

He's no David Bailey. Lazy barsteward.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Your still looking at it though, so could be a benefit to you. Its a simple matters to request more photos and details before viewing, which im sure you have done. 

I have indeed, there needs to be proof of ownership, and reasons why it should be a premium price before I book a flight, almost every viewing is going to cost me £100 to £200. 

Just because they have no idea how to present a boat to market does not make it a bad boat. Even with all the top branded gear, it is perfectly possible to get terrible photos, and vice versa.

Edited by LadyG

I have indeed, there needs to be proof of ownership, and reasons why it should be a premium price before I book a flight, almost every viewing is going to cost me £100 to £200. 

Yes, i can see why you need to be careful. I think any boat in London will be at a premium. Further north is clearly better for you for two reasons, depending where you want to eventually keep the boat 

There were several around London most days so you never know, you may get lucky and be able to view others IF this one proved worthwhile to view. I could never get more info on the London boats I picked out.

kathryn Louise boat in Uxbridge is on Apollo.....am a bit bothered by the number of knives on the wall though :o looking for the knife throwers spinning wheel to attach their assistant to.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yes, i can see why you need to be careful. I think any boat in London will be at a premium. Further north is clearly better for you for two reasons, depending where you want to eventually keep the boat 

I would assume I can get from London in to the main canal system [of course I may be wrong!!!!] I have a free bed in London, or somewhere nearby, so the cost of two days in London is about the same as a one day return trip to Tattenhall.

I am checking [where the flip is Uxbridge], lol

I've had a look at Kathryn Louise, it does not take my fancy, and again, why use such messy photos, I am interested in the boat, not their culinary foibles

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would assume I can get from London in to the main canal system [of course I may be wrong!!!!] I have a free bed in London, or somewhere nearby, so the cost of two days in London is about the same as a one day return trip to Tattenhall.

Yes. 

Ah, thats not too bad then. 

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Nearly 9 foot headroom too. 

and a showercurtain, what more can I say....................

now folks, another visit to appolloduck

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=510420

a bit dark inside, and choice of loos!

.... bbbut look like a contendor

Ive asked for more detail and photos, but I like it, its not "pretentious"

Mike Harwood rings a bell.

Built in 1991, so British Steel 

Internet ready, which is ideal for me :)

Its very smart, I am getting over-excited, better go off to work, this search, search, search is doing my head in, but I need to do it as part and parcel of research.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and a showercurtain, what more can I say....................

now folks, another visit to appolloduck

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=510420

a bit dark inside, and two loos!

.... bbbut look like a contendor

Looks nice. Lacking some detail again though and a long  way too

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Yes: go west along the Paddington Arm to Bulls Bridge where you emerge (carefully, a blind corner) onto the Grand Union, then left for the Thames or right (via Uxbridge which is just outside NW London) for Braunston and the North.

If I were to conform to the Grumpy Triker's view of Londoners, I'd just tell you the GU is for going to the Llangollen, because it doesn't connect to Scotland or Cornwall.

The general wisdom of the forum is that buying a boat you're likely to get better value up north and the worst value in London, but I'd expect that some boats will be exceptions to this rule. Unless you have very specific criteria, you might do well to just take a few days at a time to look at lots of boats in one area away from London, to limit your travel costs. But once you find the narrow boat you want, it doesn't matter too much where it is, because they're designed to move by water and most of the system is connected.

The advantage of buying a boat in Bradford upon Avon to be kept up north is that you get to enjoy a nice long cruise home. A week along to Reading (make sure the boat comes with a gangplank), two days doing the glorious dash to Oxford on a one day EA licence, then another few days to Napton, then it depends where up north. Two months ago I did Foxhangers to Banbury with a couple who'd bought a boat down there to use on the Leeds & Liverpool; is there good value to be had on the western K&A?

hmmm, I thought Bradford on Avon was a euphemism for a well known honeypot. 

It matters not where I start as I am cc, all is new.

Value is relative,  what I need to do first, is find a good boat, if it is too expensive, then I keep looking.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

hmmm, I thought Bradford on Avon was a euphemism for a well known honeypot

It matters not where I start as I am cc, all is new.

Value is relative,  what I need to do first, is find a good boat, if it is too expensive, then I keep looking.

Nah, this ones "honey pot" :):-

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/narrowboat-honey-pot-38ft-colecraft-cruiser-stern/1241424783

Edited by rusty69

On 21/05/2017 at 09:19, LadyG said:

Just because they have no idea how to present a boat to market does not make it a bad boat. Even with all the top branded gear, it is perfectly possible to get terrible photos, and vice versa.

I think you would be best off booking a flight down to brum, hiring a car and booking yourself into a B&B in Rugby for three or four days. This is the centre of the boat sales universe and you'll be able to view dozens of boats for sale all within about a 40 mile radius. Once you've done this you'll have a far better perspective on what you want.

Edit to add: And boats are never the same in the flesh as they look in photos. You really DO have to visit. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you would be best off booking a flight down to brum, hiring a car and booking yourself into a B&B in Rugby for three or four days. This is the centre of the boat sales universe and you'll be able to view dozens of boats for sale all within about a 40 mile radius. Once you've done this you'll have a far better perspective on what you want.

That makes a lot of sense - we get loads of folk up here on package deals - return flight plus hire car for a week - at ridiculous prices.  I assume it can be done the other way round.   

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That makes a lot of sense - we get loads of folk up here on package deals - return flight plus hire car for a week - at ridiculous prices.  I assume it can be done the other way round.   

Assuming OP can drive, it probably a good way of doing it. 

I could drive from home, if I wanted to spend a few days, but the boats I like are not all in one place, most of the ones which are up for sale are not suitable [ I am getting closer to defining what that is], there is no point in aimlessly looking round all the marinas. I am just not going to do that, if I could find six boats in a small area that suited, I would be astounded, it has taken me a month to find about three, and they are each a hundred miles apart.

Flying , parking, security, pickup car, and you have used up six hours, I do it quite a lot, to go to Newmarket, its faster to use a train than pick up a car, and cheaper. 

Edited by LadyG

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Edit to add: And boats are never the same in the flesh as they look in photos. You really DO have to visit. 

I don't disagree with your last point, but no point inviewing six unsuitable boats, four days in the Midlands would cost about £300 to £400, its just a waste of money if they are not suitable,, and stressfull.

I pretty much know what a liveaboard is now, and what is a nice interior, what is maintained and what is not, but each boat needs research, which can be done from home.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

omg, am at a loss with this one, I have asked for better details and photos, can anybody make out what we are looking at here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/43-039-Narrowboat-in-London-/232340203672?fromMakeTrack=true

Has someone bought a jigsaw from BandQ and got creative on the bulkheads, I for one don't want to sit in the lounge looking at the unwashed dishes!

The engine is sitting on the cabin floor?

There seems to be a lot of significance to the green valve..................

Is there a loo, a proper waterproof shower room, or does the whb live in a cupboard? 

I usually ignore London boats as I assume [yes I assume], they are overpriced, badly maintained , and will be snapped up very quickly

Dont tell mrsmelly it has a diesel cooker

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Is it just my computer, or are there no photos of the boat? I get just photo frames with no photos in them.

The seller describes his boat with commendable enthusiasm, and one has to sympathise with his "war droop", presumably the result of an abdominal wound received on the battlefield.