Cracked 'collar' Morso Squirrel

Jak

Featured Posts

So I ordered a replacement collar for the Squirrel, but now I have it I can see the old one is ok. It is the 'collar' above that is cracked. But what is it?  I have looked at a number of installations and they don't appear to have this arrangement. Can anyone help me and explain what it is and where I can find a replacement?

IMG_1128.JPG

My stove has your arrangement but on an angle to account for the tumblehome of the boat. 

I have a crack across the nearest corner of the top of the stove on your picture.

I've decided morso stoves aren't all they are cracked up to be!

Just now, Ex Brummie said:

The crack is undoubtedly due to the stove pipe having 'welded' itself to the collar. The pipe needs to be able to move up and down with the expansion and contraction caused by heat. If it is solid, it puts strain on the stove top and splits it.

With "it" being the top of the stove, or the collar? With vertical pressure I would expect the top of the stove to be damaged. To get a cracked collar like that shown I would expect horizontal movement to be involved. Perhaps vertical pressure could cause the stove to tip slightly and the stove & flue to become < shaped, that could crack the collar? I'm interested as my flue regularly rust-welds itself to the roof.

23 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

My stove has your arrangement but on an angle to account for the tumblehome of the boat. 

I have a crack across the nearest corner of the top of the stove on your picture.

I've decided morso stoves aren't all they are cracked up to be!

The crack is undoubtedly due to the stove pipe having 'welded' itself to the collar. The pipe needs to be able to move up and down with the expansion and contraction caused by heat. If it is solid, it puts strain on the stove top and splits it.

You are undoubtedly correct. I put a load of wood on and opened the bottom door. It was Christmas and it was cold! There was an almighty crack like a pistol shot and hey presto a crack on the corner of the stove. The stove still seems to be air tight. 

The real challenge is going to be releasing the flue pipe so I can take the top off the stove and replace it. I think a set of hacksaw blades will do it but it is a job for the summer.