Bonda Primer, Rustoleum or Owatrol CIP for engine bilge?

Featured Posts

Time to get down the engine bay again.  A few years ago I had a go at it using a wirebrush wheel in a drill then treating with an epoxy mastic.  Unfortunately this is now flaking off so I'm going to remove some of the things that made it awkward last time (calorifier which is sat on the baseplate, eberspacher etc) and use a flap wheel in an angle grinder to get the worse of the paint and rust off, then clean it and give it a coat of Aquasteel.

I will then use a primer but cannot decide between Bonda Primer, Rustoleum or Owatrol CIP.  Has anyone long term experience with 1 or more of these, especially if you have had chance to compare?  I will be finishing the job with 2 coats of white Danboline.

Thanks

David

I like plain Owatrol oil which dries faster than CIP, I think you are supposed to let CIP cure for 72 hours.  The only advantage of CIP, as far as I'm aware, is it can be overcoated with two pack but if you're using Danboline there's no need.  

Owatrol is the only rust treatment I've used that really works, it's not a rust converter but stops the rust in its tracks.  That's why I wouldn't even bother with Aquasteel first.   

From personal experience........

If you can get back to 99% bare metal (just a few small pits with a bit of residual rust is ok) then best choice is Armourguard ST epoxy primer, especially in areas subject to hard wear like front and back decks.

If you don't want the trouble and cost of epoxy, and its lighter duty, then its Bondaprimer.

If you have a fair bit of rust (but not deep and flakey) rather than perfect steel then I have had very good results with Red Owatrol followed by Danboline. I did my very back bilge this way about 7 years ago. Its wet in winter due to condensation and is just starting to show signs of failure.

I would only use a rust converter first as a last resort, like in areas that you really can't get good access to with the angle grinder or needle gun or whatever.

...........Dave

On 2017-5-10 at 18:40, dmr said:

From personal experience........

If you can get back to 99% bare metal (just a few small pits with a bit of residual rust is ok) then best choice is Armourguard ST epoxy primer, especially in areas subject to hard wear like front and back decks.

Armourguard ST is good, but having used both I have to disagree and say Jotamastic 87 is better.