BCN water conservation key

frygood

Featured Posts

Hi All

I was just having a look at my Nicholsons as I'm planning to go to Black Country Musem via Wolverhampton.It says i need a BCN water conservation key.What do these look like and wear can i get one.

Thanks Carl

Have a look on the CART website in the shop section or you can get them from some chandlers and from the CART regional offices. Buy more than one cos sure as eggs are eggs one will end up in the canal ! I speak from experience :mellow: Every paddle on the Wolverhampton 21 needs one !

Met a chap on the wolverhampton flight last year, he was fishing them out the lock with a magnet on a rope, sold me one for £3 as i only had one, said he gives the cash to a canal fund of some kind, not sure if this was true but i didn't mind as i now have a spare.

11 hours ago, frygood said:

Hi All

I was just having a look at my Nicholsons as I'm planning to go to Black Country Musem via Wolverhampton.It says i need a BCN water conservation key.What do these look like and wear can i get one.

Thanks Carl

Developed up North, early 1970's and then known as " Leeds & Livvy Keys", first fitted on Wigan lock flight, then on the newly restored Ashton Canal locks. The device that took the key was a bit like one handcuff fixed to a short chain on the paddle gear- some still like that on the Rochdale Nine. Later locks are integral with the paddle gear and require only a quarter turn to open and a press button to lock

21 minutes ago, billh said:

Developed up North, early 1970's and then known as " Leeds & Livvy Keys", first fitted on Wigan lock flight, then on the newly restored Ashton Canal locks. The device that took the key was a bit like one handcuff fixed to a short chain on the paddle gear- some still like that on the Rochdale Nine. Later locks are integral with the paddle gear and require only a quarter turn to open and a press button to lock

Handcuff type are still on the Ashton too I think.

21 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Are you sure, I think all of them on the BCN are the usual fixed type with a quarter of a turn to unlock.  I don't think I have ever seen one of the versions that require a lot of turns to release, but they have been mentioned on here before.

Just now, john6767 said:

Are you sure, I think all of them on the BCN are the usual fixed type with a quarter of a turn to unlock.  I don't think I have ever seen one of the versions that require a lot of turns to release, but they have been mentioned on here before.

The Ashton isn't on the BCN. I'd agree that all the ones on the BCN are the quarter turn type.

Yes, locks needing this type of key appear quite widely, not confined to the BCN. I haven't yet been on the northern canals much, but to add to the above, I've encountered them on the Erewash. Sometimes as on the Wolverhampton 21 they're on every lock of a flight, sometimes just the top lock to protect a big pound above. But certain other places do need special keys or other items, e.g. the key for the River Nene.

I've generally heard the keys called handcuff keys or anti-vandal keys.

Hi the ones on the Wolverhampton are the quarter turn type and are quite easy to do. A lanyard is a good idea we found a key left behind at Wolverhampton so we have plenty now !

We came across the other type on the canal near Wigan they are quite fiddly to do when it is cold and wet and your hands are cold............. hence our unscheduled stop at the CART office in Wigan to buy replacements !

Tizzy

All of the Rufford Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool  have handcuff type fastenings needing multiple turns of your handcuff key to undo. They are a nuisance with usually four per lock. Seven locks plus the Tarleton sea lock. In addition there are the five swing bridges most of which have the multiple turn handcuff locks. Al this in roughly six miles!  I understand two on the top side of each lock would be sufficient  but it would be much better if they were replaced by click shut bolt type as seen on the nearby Wigan Flight.

On top of this the Rufford Branch has the lovely old very difficult chuff wooden paddle levers but luckily at least a couple are broken so you don't need to trouble yourself with them.

The bonus is that this branch has beautiful views over the Lancashire plain and the hills beyond plus it gives access to the Lancaster Canal via the wonderful Ribble Link. 

8 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

On top of this the Rufford Branch has the lovely old very difficult chuff wooden paddle levers but luckily at least a couple are broken so you don't need to trouble yourself with them.

The bonus is that this branch has beautiful views over the Lancashire plain and the hills beyond plus it gives access to the Lancaster Canal via the wonderful Ribble Link. 

The Rufford is a very overlooked canal, its just so rural...and hard to imagine you're only a few miles from Liverpool and Manchester...  We went down to Tarleton and back last autumn and stopped at Rufford for the night and went to the pub!

23 hours ago, Dave_P said:

No, different again. Most of the Ashton paddle gear is  hydraulic, still uses the  same key , requiring multiple turns, but the  paddle spindle is locked in place by a large hinged metal bar that drops down to clobber your knees as it's unfastened. Many of them are broken or removed , some broken in the locked position so you can't work the paddle anyway. Thoroughly bad design.A couple of  new tail gate sets have had the hydraulics replaced with  conventional gear, with no locks and are very nice to operate.