Farce at Camden Lock

mark99

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, John P said:

Having had my booked passage down the Anderton Lift delayed, due to a fault, I did notice that the trip boat was then given priority. Can't say it worried me. It was giving enjoyment to the general public, and (I assume) making money for CaRT

Although that is a bit different as the lift operates a booking system that includes the trip boats. If you turn up on the day then you take the next available slot - any booking will take precedence. The situation for the OP was the more normal one of arrival at a lock and join a q.

43 minutes ago, howardang said:

I like this boat at Anderton Marina which did the pump outs. I have been told that is has now been sold.

Howard

too+loos+lautrec.jpg

I remember this pump out boat from Anderton Marina, when it was operated by IML, before ABC bought them out. We hired from there in 1988.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I remember this pump out boat from Anderton Marina, when it was operated by IML, before ABC bought them out. We hired from there in 1988.

Yes, so do I. As far as I know, it was the brainchild of the owner of IML, Tony Binns, who also owned Rugby Boatbuilders at Hillmorton. I worked for him in another IML company, which ran a cruise ship in Scotland.

Howard

4 hours ago, Athy said:

In an earlier post, I did mention boats which had an advertised timetable to adhere to. Trip boats and water-buses would, I think, come into that category, therefore there would be a case for their having priority at locks.

Indeed, there might be a case for it, but them's not the rules. As nicknorman says, if there were any rules for priority at locks they'd be in the bylaws, and they aren't. Commercial vessels do have first claim to the navigable channel when "meeting" (i.e. head-on), "overtaking, or being overtaken", though.

2 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Indeed, there might be a case for it, but them's not the rules. As nicknorman says, if there were any rules for priority at locks they'd be in the bylaws, and they aren't. Commercial vessels do have first claim to the navigable channel when "meeting" (i.e. head-on), "overtaking, or being overtaken", though.

Thanks, Richard - that's why I went only as far as "there would be a case" because I didn't know - but I knew that someone here would know!

6 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

That's thrown a spanner in the works. If you concede priority to another boat at a lock, is it not overtaking you, or perhaps the lock isn't part of the navigable channel?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Our house isn't on mains sewage, and twice a year a tanker lorry comes to pump out our septic tank. On the back is the slogan "You make it, we take it".

I wonder if you would mind sharing how much that costs Athy? I ask because our marina is citing increased charges levied by the "disposal company" as a reason for introducing a charge for using the Elsan.

You can dispose of a poo suitcase's contents at any CRT facility for free. The marina has to make a business decision about whether (or how much) to charge. Your choice!

...having noticed your location I must admit I don't know much about the Bridgwater's facilities. 

4 hours ago, billS said:

I always try to give Hudsons priority. I find it reduces the time I have to endure the sight of that bow.

This is because you are failing to observe the correct protocol, which is to avert your eyes when your superiors pass by. It's rude to stare.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This is because you are failing to observe the correct protocol, which is to avert your eyes when your superiors pass by. It's rude to stare.

Hang on, I thought we were discussing Hudsons ;)

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hang on, I thought we were discussing Hudsons ;)

I wonder if anyone has ever had rhinoplasty performed on one? You would think it would be relatively straightforward, and I think there are probably lots of people who like the boats but hate that feature. (You and me for starters.)

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

I wonder if you would mind sharing how much that costs Athy? I ask because our marina is citing increased charges levied by the "disposal company" as a reason for introducing a charge for using the Elsan.

I don't mind at all. It's just gone up to £75. Two of us live here, and the tank needs emptying each 6 or 7 months. I do not know if the company charges by the size of tank (some are much bigger than ours).

17 minutes ago, billS said:

I wonder if anyone has ever had rhinoplasty performed on one?

Does that involve sticking a horn on its nose?

9 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

£180k for a second hand boat!!!!!!!  and one that sounds like it overheats when working hard unless the radiators are hot as ". The Alde heat exchanger not only has the benefit of a second form of central heating but also supports the engine to keep it cool with running in more strenuous waters"

I think i met this boat last September on the Atherstone flight, there was a fella single handing and he was from essex, although the boat was moored near Braunston i think.

Very very very very shiny, first thing he did when moor up was start shining.

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

I think i met this boat last September on the Atherstone flight, there was a fella single handing and he was from essex, although the boat was moored near Braunston i think.

You're right! He's an ex-fireman, capable of many words per minute, we moored just behind him overnight same day and place, I wouldn't have recognised it but, now that you mention it, yes that's the one. It is beautiful - probably to beautiful to use. Mind you, you'd think that for that price you'd get a proper engine.

I believe that it's featured in another thread on here quite recently.

7 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Surely each to his own. Personally, I have never understood the sneering about boaters who are proud to keep their boats in good order. 

Howard

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I think I've seen that one somewhere, yes it's a good name.

There's a little pump-out truck at one of the hire-fleet yards which has a witty name, but I'm boogered if I can remember what it is. Gosh, that was useful.

th6XORFAB9.jpg

thJJQ6W6OJ.jpg

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If trip boats etc had priority by the rules, surely it would be promulgated, e.g. in the "Boater's Handbook", bylaws etc. But it isn't. Is there a seperate category of licence for a trip boat compared to say a coal boat? I don't think so. Large commercial vessels on some waterways have priority in terms of needing to stick to the channel, but not to queue jump.

And being reasonable about it, why on earth should one commercial venture (trip boat) have priority over another commercial venture (hire business, cheese boat, coal boat)? There would be no logic to it. No, it is a figment of the imagination of those who think they are more important than everyone else.

Well personally I would think more than twice about insisting on priority over (say) the Humber Princess going into an A&C lock when it's about 100 times bigger than me and the lockie has just driven several miles to lock him through.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's thrown a spanner in the works. If you concede priority to another boat at a lock, is it not overtaking you, or perhaps the lock isn't part of the navigable channel?

I did wonder about that but I think a commercial skipper would have a hard time arguing it. The bylaw in question is effectively talking about moving laterally (i.e. to another, shallower part of the channel) - it doesn't place any requirement on the pleasure boat to impede its progress along the waterway. There's also a group of bylaws following this one which are specifically about locks and bridges, and it's not mentioned there: I'd expect any such bylaw to be in with the rest of the ones about locks.