Farce at Camden Lock

mark99

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, NB Lola said:

if she/he said the likes of,  "excuse me but I am on a really tight schedule and do you mind if I queue jump?"  I am likely to say yes.

Surely, you mean 'no'?  As in 'no, I don't mind'. Correct, my mistake

27 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

"I am a commercial boat with fair paying passengers and I have priority over you" 

So by that argument any hire boat has priority: Commercial boat Tick, fare paying passengers, tick.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:00, mark99 said:

Lined up awaiting vollocky to open Camden Lock. Slid in offered to help work the lock and advised  help not needed to work the lock and trip boat the Jenny Wren was going in with us. Closed my gate and the Jenny Wren crew member shut hers went down and unwound her paddle and then proceed to walk over the gate to unwind our/volocky paddle.

In front of the usual Camden vast gallery she, the lady crew member lauched into only what can be described as a volley of aggressive screaming abuse at my wife that we should be unwinding the paddle. Screaming that "its been like this all week". 

My wife at first thought this woman was talking to the vollocky but she was not. 

At this point my wife errupts and shouts we were instructed not to help. At this point the crew member went further ballisic. I was close to the Jenny Wren captain and said calmly " listen, twice we were told not to help the volocky would do it" however by now the captain had lost it and looked straight through me and got really nasty verbally abusing the wife. No amount of reasoning would calm him down and for a fraction of a second I thought violence was coming. He was screwing his face up and really had lost the plot shouting threats.

By this time the lock gate was opening and the Jenny Wren trip boat sped out.

Never seen anything like this on the cut before and the Camden gongoozlers got  right old show.

Foul, aggressive, nasty and threatening from a so called professional.

The volocky saw the whole show which for my next steps is good.

Well done for holding your temper.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I'll forgive just about anyone who uses a passive reflexive French verb!

gerund.jpg   My personal fascination is held by the ever evolving Gerund.

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

..don't forget the infinitive!

The entire verb structure is an infinitive.

N'est-ce pas?

1 hour ago, tomsk said:

gerund.jpg   My personal fascination is held by the ever evolving Gerund.

It's about time we had some Molesworth on here.

3 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

So by that argument any hire boat has priority: Commercial boat Tick, fare paying passengers, tick.

I wondered how long it would be before someone trotted that one out. Those are leisure boats.

If trip boats etc had priority by the rules, surely it would be promulgated, e.g. in the "Boater's Handbook", bylaws etc. But it isn't. Is there a seperate category of licence for a trip boat compared to say a coal boat? I don't think so. Large commercial vessels on some waterways have priority in terms of needing to stick to the channel, but not to queue jump.

And being reasonable about it, why on earth should one commercial venture (trip boat) have priority over another commercial venture (hire business, cheese boat, coal boat)? There would be no logic to it. No, it is a figment of the imagination of those who think they are more important than everyone else.

Edited by nicknorman

9 hours ago, Athy said:

I wondered how long it would be before someone trotted that one out. Those are leisure boats.

And do you imagine that a boat taking little Johnny and his mummy and daddy (or these days, his mummy and mummy) on a chug-chug down the cut for an hour, isn't a leisure boat?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

And do you imagine that a boat taking little Johnny and his mummy and daddy on a chug-chug down the cut for an hour, isn't a leisure boat?

In an earlier post, I did mention boats which had an advertised timetable to adhere to. Trip boats and water-buses would, I think, come into that category, therefore there would be a case for their having priority at locks.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Inspired name for a rubbish-collecting boat. Is it true, or have you made it up?

It's true. Someone else here has the boat now, converted it into, like a big flowerpot on the bank and has erased the Laden but left the Bin. 

Having had my booked passage down the Anderton Lift delayed, due to a fault, I did notice that the trip boat was then given priority. Can't say it worried me. It was giving enjoyment to the general public, and (I assume) making money for CaRT

Edited by John P

2 minutes ago, John P said:

Having had my booked passage down the Anderton Lift delayed, due to a fault, I did notice that the trip boat was then given priority. Can't say it worried me. It was giving enjoyment to the general public, and (I assume) making money for CaRT

Makes sense, as if this trip boat is running late, the final trip of the day may even have to be cancelled.  So whilst the trip boat may not have right of way enshrined in the byelaws it does make sense for the lock/bridge/lift keeper to use his/her discretion in prioritizing boats.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I thought everybody knew that it is only Hudsons that have priority.

I always try to give Hudsons priority. I find it reduces the time I have to endure the sight of that bow.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, billS said:

I always try to give Hudsons priority. I find it reduces the time I have to endure the sight of that bow.

Seconded!

I find it strange how ugly the bow is, when at thre same time the shape/sheer of the stern and back cabin on them is so exactly right.

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Seconded!

I find it strange how ugly the bow is, when at thre same time the shape/sheer of the stern and back cabin on them is so exactly right.

I find that the attractiveness or otherwise of a Husons bow changes according to the angle it is viewed from.

Certain angles make it look quite attractive and others the opposite.

I find the rise at the rear cabin top too steep, rather like a ski slope.

Overall though,  I do like the quality of their engineering.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Inspired name for a rubbish-collecting boat. Is it true, or have you made it up?

I like this boat at Anderton Marina which did the pump outs. I have been told that is has now been sold.

Howard

too+loos+lautrec.jpg

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, howardang said:

I like this boat at Anderton Marina which did the pump outs. I have been told that is has now been sold.

Howard

too+loos+lautrec.jpg

I think I've seen that one somewhere, yes it's a good name.

There's a little pump-out truck at one of the hire-fleet yards which has a witty name, but I'm boogered if I can remember what it is. Gosh, that was useful.

We have a lorry every now and again to empty our septic tank. The slogan on the back is "Yesterday's meals on wheels".

I gather this was the result of an extensive creative thinking session in the pub.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
Edited to add an apostrophe.