Farce at Camden Lock

mark99

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not what happened here though is it?

The Volly told the OP twice that they would do the paddle for them, then didn't do it. AIUI. 

Or perhaps they were beaten to it by a professional intent on an opportunity to complain loudly about "it's been happening all week", or perhaps the volunteer intended to leave the paddle up until the next boat ascending was in the chamber (recent thread about closing gates with paddles open), or perhaps you believe all paddles should be down before a single boat exits, or perhaps you were there and are keeping quiet about what really happened?

I use the canal in that area quite a lot. In my experience the crews of the London Waterbus Company boats (the brown ones) are either very friendly or just neutral. On the other hand, I find the crew of the Jenny Wren miserable and at times aggressive. And my opinion is based on several years of experience and observation occasional direct engagement. I hope they get to read this thread!

• Greenie 1

Had cofrontation with Jenny Wren, very rude crew members, seem to think that they have priority over every other boat, one early morning I was waiting to go through the lock with another boat and they were behind. The gates were opened when the lock was full and they started moving forward saying that the other boat was too slow getting into the lock, I politely advised the skipper that the steerer was doing his best and he would have to wait his turn he then told me that they had priority over non commercial boats. Thanfully the old chap on the other boat pulled his finger out and got in before them

This question came up a few months ago and I can't remember the answer: do working boats have priority over leisure craft at locks? I can see that, if they have to keep to a timetable, they have a case for jumping the queue; on the other hand, if they claim priority where none exists, then that's bad form.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

This question came up a few months ago and I can't remember the answer: do working boats have priority over leisure craft at locks? I can see that, if they have to keep to a timetable, they have a case for jumping the queue; on the other hand, if they claim priority where none exists, then that's bad form.

I always give way. Did today to two lads from Marine and Land and they rewarded me with setting the next couple of locks for us which if you know the locks in East London are diabolical.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't think anyone has priority, Mike, but if they were to ask nicely I might consider yielding to them. The above thread seems to suggest the person in question was doing anything but asking nicely, so I'd tell them venir se faire enculer if you'll forgive the expression. 

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

I don't think anyone has priority, Mike, but if they were to ask nicely I might consider yielding to them. The above thread seems to suggest the person in question was doing anything but asking nicely, so I'd tell them venir se faire enculer if you'll forgive the expression. 

I'll forgive just about anyone who uses a passive reflexive French verb!

I'm not sure but personally never in a hurry and if you do give way you often get a good lot of interesting chat at the lock. The lads today showed me their 4lw in a tug.

On the Thames the lockies often advise the let the trippers through because of their timetable. Again happy to do.

38 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I'm not sure but personally never in a hurry and if you do give way you often get a good lot of interesting chat at the lock. The lads today showed me their 4lw in a tug.

On the Thames the lockies often advise the let the trippers through because of their timetable. Again happy to do.

Talking to the skipper on one of the Thames trip boats, we had chartered the boat, he told me that when on charter he was the same as any other boat but when on a time table schedual he had priority at locks.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Talking to the skipper on one of the Thames trip boats, we had chartered the boat, he told me that when on charter he was the same as any other boat but when on a time table schedual he had priority at locks.

The Thames Trip Boats Did have priority once upon a time ,but only when they were Steam Powered(A Steam Engine burns Fuel when static)

They have no priority these Days

Quite right, no priority, but.....

if she/he said the likes of,  "excuse me but I am on a really tight schedule and do you mind if I queue jump?"  I am likely to say yes.  However if I get an officious this is not up to you request like, "I am a commercial boat with fair paying passengers and I have priority over you" I would suggest she/he does not and they will have to wait their turn.  If he pushes the issue I would let be, life is too short.  In the past I may have taken another path but now I am simply too chilled.

Back in the day when contracted to BW I was told that I had priority at locks but  Iseem to remember I only used it once in the 5 years with them & that was only because of a "stroppy" private boater. No Idea if it still stands would think doubtful.

I'm rarely up against it timebase so, if I find I'm holding anyone up, I tend to pull over and let them through. If they're lovely people in a hurry or grateful professionals on a schedule, we all get something to feel good about. If it's just an asshole, hey, he's out of my life - sooner or later he'll probably bother someone worse than him and get his comeuppance. 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm rarely up against it timebase so, if I find I'm holding anyone up, I tend to pull over and let them through. If they're lovely people in a hurry or grateful professionals on a schedule, we all get something to feel good about. If it's just an asshole, hey, he's out of my life - sooner or later he'll probably bother someone worse than him and get his comeuppance. 

Perfectly put sir.