Exhaust Lagging

Featured Posts

I am looking to re lagg my exhaust pipe but wanted to check if there was any method or advice available? Eg. How many layers? Best method of securing? I already have a new pop studded jacket/sleeve ordered for the manifold (Barrus Shire) but any help would be welcome.

4 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

Thank Luggsy

I am struggling to find anything on youtube that refers to a narrowboat diesel. Most are based on motorbikes....but i guess its the same principle... 

Just wind on one layer with half width overlaps something like 2'' wide fireproof tape, securing at regular intervals by two round turns and twist together of copper wire. Copper wire pulled out of old mains domestic twin and earth cable will do fine, the grey plastic covered stuff.

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Just wind on one layer with half width overlaps something like 2'' wide fireproof tape, securing at regular intervals by two round turns and twist together of copper wire. Copper wire pulled out of old mains domestic twin and earth cable will do fine, the grey plastic covered stuff.

Am i right in saying that the purpose of the wrapping is to retain heat within the exhaust and reduce noise to some extent....? 

2 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

Am i right in saying that the purpose of the wrapping is to retain heat within the exhaust and reduce noise to some extent....? 

Well it does that a bit, but its mainly to prevent you from burning yourself on it and to prevent burning or scorching anything close by.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Well it does that a bit, but its mainly to prevent you from burning yourself on it and to prevent burning or scorching anything close by.

I agree with its purpose, but the noise still comes out of the spout, not the casing (pipe) and the heat is all waste heat anyway, so it doesn't matter where it is thrown away!

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I agree with its purpose, but the noise still comes out of the spout, not the casing (pipe) and the heat is all waste heat anyway, so it doesn't matter where it is thrown away!

But without the lagging your enine hole could get much hotter as someone posted the other week.

I used titanium wrap and use two layers 55% overlap  and secure with hosepipe clips. Wire is ok but can snag you hence the clips. Jubilee clips iirc. The titanium does not stain like the white stuff.

Edited by mark99

I have a load of new lagging in my lockup. You can have it for a couple of beers, our exhaust is water cooled so no need to lag it 

J

Edited by Loddon