Availability of 6kg propane bottles

Neil2

Featured Posts

Not for the first time I'm thinking of downsizing our gas supply bottles from 13 to 6 kg.   There's all sorts of reasons for doing this which are starting to outweigh the disadvantage of having to swap bottles more often.   I was going to start noting the availability of the smaller bottles around the network but thought I might as well as the forum, it could save a bit of time.  On our own marina the last time we exchanged bottles I could only see two of the 6kg size.  

I'd also be interested in comments from anyone who already uses the smaller containers.  

As a 'rough guide' :- cost 2x a 13kg and with 'half of the availability'

I'd need some huge reasons to warrant changing. (example :- Our catamaran has 4.5kg bottles, but that is because its designed for the small camping Gaz cylinders and the locker will not take anything larger)

We have two 6kg ones (for reasons of space) and have never had a problem finding replacements - though as soon as one is empty I'm on the lookout for a seller. As I recall a 6kg lasts about 2 months for full size oven and hob it's not a big deal. Not in the great scheme of things is the price scam. 

1 hour ago, starman said:

We have two 6kg ones (for reasons of space) and have never had a problem finding replacements - though as soon as one is empty I'm on the lookout for a seller. As I recall a 6kg lasts about 2 months for full size oven and hob it's not a big deal. Not in the great scheme of things is the price scam. 

Thanks for that Starman, it's partly space reasons that's forcing the issue for us, but the reason we haven't made the switch yet is we rely on a gas water heater - no calorifier - so we will use more gas than you do.   

I worked for calor for quite a while and they tended to have more supply problems with the 6kg propane and 7kg butane cylinders than any other products, this didn't happen often however. Another potential issue with smaller cylinders is output under heavy demand, ie. If you were to be both using a couple of rings on your oven and the oven, with someone having a shower at the same time it's entirely possible that the cylinder will freeze up and release less gas.

I can understand using large cylinders with a gas fridge and water heater but a lot of boats don't have them and yet people still struggle to get these heavy cylinders into awkward lockers. I'd recommend any older boater to consider changing to 6kg ones. 

3 minutes ago, starman said:

I can understand using large cylinders with a gas fridge and water heater but a lot of boats don't have them and yet people still struggle to get these heavy cylinders into awkward lockers. I'd recommend any older boater to consider changing to 6kg ones. 

Wot - I am still moving & lifting 19Kg bottles. Use it or lose it! I note the kids get the yard to lift them into place so maybe worth a tip to the yard hand to save the OP having to deal with full 13Kg ones.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Wot - I am still moving & lifting 19Kg bottles. Use it or lose it! I note the kids get the yard to lift them into place so maybe worth a tip to the yard hand to save the OP having to deal with full 13Kg ones.

Well doneTony!

3 hours ago, BWM said:

I worked for calor for quite a while and they tended to have more supply problems with the 6kg propane and 7kg butane cylinders than any other products, this didn't happen often however. Another potential issue with smaller cylinders is output under heavy demand, ie. If you were to be both using a couple of rings on your oven and the oven, with someone having a shower at the same time it's entirely possible that the cylinder will freeze up and release less gas.

Hmmm I hadn't considered that, though it's an unlikely scenario on our boat.  We did manage with the smallest size cylinder on our first boat which had a similar set up.   

The weight of the bottles is no problem.  It's more of a space saving issue.  It's hard to explain but the shape of the bow locker and the position of the hatch means two 13kg cylinders take up a disproportionate amount of room.   

We used to be caravanners until a few years ago and the 6kg red Calor bottles were the norm with the front lockers usually having a capacity for two.  This could cause a nose weight problem for some car/caravan combinations so Calor introduced the 'Caravanlite' bottles. These had the same capacity of gas but weighed quite a bit less, I think an empty normal bottle weighed the same as a full Caravanlite bottle so was obviously easier to manhandle. There was a price premium but this may have gone by now due to the increase in popularity and availability.

Cheers

David.

29 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Hmmm I hadn't considered that, though it's an unlikely scenario on our boat.  We did manage with the smallest size cylinder on our first boat which had a similar set up.   

The weight of the bottles is no problem.  It's more of a space saving issue.  It's hard to explain but the shape of the bow locker and the position of the hatch means two 13kg cylinders take up a disproportionate amount of room.   

Definitely an unlikely situation, normally compounded by weather conditions. If space saving is the main problem, as long as you have have enough in reserve, perhaps three x 6 kg, availability shouldn't be a problem as the shortages I experienced weren't over long periods.