Gearbox filter

Featured Posts

Yes number is 2133640 next step is to take filter out but it's always easier if you have the new one to slot straight in,it's off a prm 500 gearbox with a trolling set up the beta engine runs at a constant 1000 or 1500 rpm and the gearbox controls the prop speed from zero upwards.will phone Nick above in the week and have emailed the company who sold the trolling system, was hoping it might be a common filter thanks for repies so far

Edited by chevron

I Googled that number and found no matches at all.  It looks as though four digits in the middle were applied manually and the six looks like it was written over a 7.  So best to see if the element has a number on it, often R.XXXXX or similar.  Even single digit differences can get you the wrong part as they refer to the flow, pressure drop and micron size.  The filter element might be washable in a solvent but don't drop it into a bowl as this will spread the dirt from the dirty side to the clean side.  To re-use it you would need to flush from inside to outside with a filter-cleaning gun or some sort of pump and nozzle.  Filter element could be soaked first to loosen the dirt with the hole uppermost and above the level of the solvent.  Compressed air could also be used with care.

Edited by mross

I think I am going to have to take it out for the number as you recommend and as you say at the worst wash it out have no problems with system but just changed oil and will do again straight after a weeks trip I have planned in a fortnight as I have no history of when last changed the little glass eye sight above indicates when a filter is due and it's still green don't know how that works or how accurate that is. I am an old mechanic and believe in regular oil and filter changes

This is a medium pressure return line filter used on Hydraulic systems industrially and vehicles. UCC is now part of Parker Hydraulics and this number will have been changed. I buy filter elements for Parker from Hydraulic Equipment Supermarkets, Innsworth Gloucester. This is a very old style unit but elements should be available, but will be quiet pricey ( probably £50 - £60 plus carriage). If this is on the return line from the cooler back to the gearbox then it may be cheaper to buy a more modern unit with a spin on canister filter. This looks like a 1/2" bsp unit , assuming that the hoses are 3/8" ( marked 06 somewhere  on the hose) so as you only have low flows and little or no pressure surges any similar filter will do the job.

If you want me to check for you and give any alternatives, PM with the full gearbox details/ oil flow rate etc 

Added - unless the element is just a fine wire gauze then it cannot be properly cleaned by washing in solvent and like a vehicle filter should be changed regularly. The green filter shows if it is blocked but will not tell the full story on low flow rates that you probably have.

Edited by adrianh
  • Greenie 1

Just remembered, the reference for the modern spin on filter is UC - MX 1518 or similar. I think the number for the complete unit with the aluminium head is UCC QA628101L although this may be the American ref with NPT threads - you need BSP. This has a choice of no sensor, pressure gauge or pressure switch and has a built in blockage bypass to prevent over pressure so check my ref if ordering. There are numerous suppliers on line if you search.

The correct number might be UC - MXA8511424.

Edited by adrianh

35 minutes ago, adrianh said:

Just remembered, the reference for the modern spin on filter is UC - MX 1518 or similar. I think the number for the complete unit with the aluminium head is UCC QA628101L although this may be the American ref with NPT threads - you need BSP. This has a choice of no sensor, pressure gauge or pressure switch and has a built in blockage bypass to prevent over pressure so check my ref if ordering. There are numerous suppliers on line if you search.

Do you know what micron size he has?  

It is not possible to know this without actually looking at the reference marked on the element that is fitted. The number on the outside of the holder only gives you the style.

The UCMX 1518 range is 10 micron - this is the norm for hydraulics and gives better filtration than a normal 20 micron vehicle filter. An oversize filter relative to the oil flow through it gives a much longer operating life.

• 1 year later...

I have just got round to removing the filter bowl and the only markings is UCC 3.5i have carefully washed the filter and changed the box oil with the same oil I always do.i have ran the boat in gear for a while and the indicator is slightly in the red yet the filter seemed quite clean still trying to get a filter now I have seen it best price so far 150 pounds.I suspect the gauge is faulty on the unit and wonder if to buy a complete unit as they seem to be not much more expensive.to test the gauge I wonder if leaving the filter out and running the box would send the gauge back into the green?as a test of the filter being blocked.any thoughts or ideas

These filters are designed for thinner 32 or 46 grade hydraulic oil so will show a high resistance to flow on cold engine oil, hence the gauge in the red. Hopefuly this filter has an internal spring loaded bypass to allow the oil flow from the gearbox outlet to be maintained when red is shown. There are quite a few manufactures offering a modern equivalent with a spin on canister and a bypass with gauge.

If you are anywhere near an agricultural supplier or repairer visit them with the old unit. It looks like it has 1/2 or 3/4 bsp connections if your hoses are 3/8 bsp ( shows an 03 somewhere on the hose outer).

Pm me if you need more info or part numbers

Thanks for your reply I was thinking on giving the boat a good run to see what the indicator settles at or removiving filter and running it which should send it over to green to show it’s working.i have been looking at modern filters but as filters in pressure line it’s a 500 prm box runs at 23 bars I believe so most spin on ones are 10bar.i agree with the oil as it runs on engine oil it’s thick