Adverc Battery management Adjustment

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

The Alternator has worked fine for 6 years and still does. The brushes were replaced about 18 months ago and the slip rings cleaned up.  The case of the alternator is insulated but is used as -ve to ground.  I have purchased the Adverc to improve my charging regime as the batteries ideally require 14.8v and the alternator gives 14.2v.  The Adverc (-ve earth and a MKIV) was an ebay "win" and I have never seen it doing its job.  I thought it was a very, very good price but now am beginning understand why.

16 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

The Alternator has worked fine for 6 years and still does. The brushes were replaced about 18 months ago and the slip rings cleaned up.  The case of the alternator is insulated but is used as -ve to ground.  I have purchased the Adverc to improve my charging regime as the batteries ideally require 14.8v and the alternator gives 14.2v.  The Adverc (-ve earth and a MKIV) was an ebay "win" and I have never seen it doing its job.  I thought it was a very, very good price but now am beginning understand why.

Send it back to Adverc, if you got it for a good price then even after paying Adverc to fix it you will likely still have a bargain.

The "positive" and "negative" alternator types do not refer to the insulated case but whether the regulator is on the positive or negative side of the rotor. There's a document on the www, probably from Sterling, that explains this and how to identify the alternator type, but I can't find it right now.

Advercs are good things to have so don't give up.

..............Dave

Thank you all for you contributions.  I have this afternoon posted the Adverc back to them for testing ad resetting to 14.8v.  I included a note to ask them to repair if required and economic to do so.  I will keep you all informed of progress.

Hopefully you also gave them the alternator model.  Most/many of the U.S. units are 'positive' and European are negative. I've no idea why. I've also bought from eBay and it's been fine - they are very solid units - but you could be unlucky... 

1 hour ago, Top cat said:

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I need to increase the voltage on my (working) Adverc from 14.4v tp 14.8v, I see the comment about turns per volt but which way?

As you need to be monitoring the voltage as you adjust it I doubt it matters much - you'll soon see if you're turning it the wrong way. 

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the promised up date.  The Adverc was broken!  Apparently the big power transistor (if you've been inside you will know the one) was faulty.  Adverc repaired it, adjusted it to 14.8 and returned it to me.  Cost was £26 +carriage +vat.  Plugged it in and now I am a happy little boater. Good service from Adverc and plenty of communication.

Thanks for all contributions.

Graham

52 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

So here is the promised up date.  The Adverc was broken!  Apparently the big power transistor (if you've been inside you will know the one) was faulty.  Adverc repaired it, adjusted it to 14.8 and returned it to me.  Cost was £26 +carriage +vat.  Plugged it in and now I am a happy little boater. Good service from Adverc and plenty of communication.

Thanks for all contributions.

Graham

Thanks for the update, Graham :)