Adverc Battery management Adjustment

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

So had the Adverc BM to bits and found the only adjustable component.  I have turned it one turn in each direction with no difference in the alternator output voltage.  How many turns do you have to twiddle it?  Can I harm the Adverc.  I would like the output to be 14.8v.

Regards

Graham

It only tweaks the absorption voltage. I was told to wait until the controller gets to that level then adjust the pot 'a little' AFAIK it's a normal 300 deg variety, not a multi turn one  - so if you've gone round-and-round, you may have goosed it.

You can always give them a bell - they're quite very approachable.

Didn't work for me.....

I've since searched the component and found it to be a 25 turn pot! If I don't receive any info to say not to I will have a twiddle tomorrow.  I have contacted Adverc a number of times before and always found them to be as you say very helpful. Just thought I would try on here first.

Anyway thanks.

ps were you trying to up your charge voltage?

On 06/05/2017 at 14:30, Wrinkley said:

So had the Adverc BM to bits and found the only adjustable component.  I have turned it one turn in each direction with no difference in the alternator output voltage.  How many turns do you have to twiddle it?  Can I harm the Adverc.  I would like the output to be 14.8v.

Regards

Graham

Surely to do this you need to know where in the charge cycle the adverc is. ISTR it has a rather unconventional charge cycle of 'X' volts for five or then minutes, then stepping up to 'Y' volts for five or ten minutes, then back to X.

Yes it does have a charge cycle.  From the Adverc web site.

"The cycling programme is normally: 5 minutes @ 14.0 volts, followed by 15 minutes @ 14.4volts. After four 20 minute cycles, there is a 'rest period' of up to 40 minutes i.e. at the lower voltage, depending on the battery state-of-charge and electrical duty-cycle."

Not sure which voltage I am trying to adjust!  I will let you know how I get on.

Just to point out that in many cases the low voltage is the whatever voltage the alternator's own regulator is set to and nothing to do with the Adverc unless the alternator's regulator has been removed. If you have  a modern 14.4/14.5 volt alternator and good battery wring & components the Adverc is probably doing very little.

Its a 20 or 25 turn pot and needs quite a few turns.

It adjusts both the high and low Adverc voltages so you will need to watch a voltmeter for quite a while to work out which part of the cycle you are in, and remember there can be a long "rest" at the lower voltage after a few cycles..

As said above the Adverc is only doing its stuff in the absorption part of the cycle and if the alternators own regulator is set higher than the Adverc low voltage then the Adverc will not be working during its low cycle. Disabling the alternators own regulator is a good idea though Adverc (and nobody but me) ever mentions this. The alternators own regulator does give a fail-safe but Advercs never break so that's not important. 

I relocated the preset on mine so that its accessible from outside the box.

Despite what Tony says I reckon that for an off grid liveaboard in winter the Adverc is pretty much essential.

.............Dave

23 hours ago, Wrinkley said:

I've since searched the component and found it to be a 25 turn pot! If I don't receive any info to say not to I will have a twiddle tomorrow.  I have contacted Adverc a number of times before and always found them to be as you say very helpful. Just thought I would try on here first.

Anyway thanks.

ps were you trying to up your charge voltage?

Oh ......  I should have spoken to the boss and not someone else (he said just tweak it a little). No wonder it didn't work.

Yes, I am trying to increase the voltage as I have NiCd batteries which need 31v to fully charge them. I paid some money to have the Adverc reprogrammed - giving them my battery type. When asked later they said they couldn't change the curve just the final voltage. As it does pretty much what I want for cruising I left it.

Thanks for correcting me! - I'll have words with them...

Edited by OldGoat

I have a Leece Neville 140a 12v alternator with a regulator set to 14.2v that I attempting to up to 14.8v to suit my batteries.  I have twiddled the pot lots today with out any change in charge voltage over a 15 mins period.  As this is the first test it is either my wiring is wrong or the second hand Adverc is faulty.  I will recheck my wiring.

11 hours ago, Wrinkley said:

I have a Leece Neville 140a 12v alternator with a regulator set to 14.2v that I attempting to up to 14.8v to suit my batteries.  I have twiddled the pot lots today with out any change in charge voltage over a 15 mins period.  As this is the first test it is either my wiring is wrong or the second hand Adverc is faulty.  I will recheck my wiring.

Straight from the horse's mouth - 'cos I rang Adverc -

It's no good twiddling the pot, you must wait until it's in the absorption phase  - high voltage - then twiddle the pot. As said it's a 22 turn variety. 1/2 volt change per two turns. At its maximum it will give you 16V - which will cook your batteries and the control lamp (if fitted) will flash furiously, so be careful. I omitted to ask whether the other stages would be affected.

Being an humble person, I refrained from ringing again on that point. Perhaps someone could report back on that point.

Update - still not working?  I have emailed Adverc the below results (On and connected readings after 10 mins run time)

Engine Adverc            Red/Black Brown/Black Blue/Black Green/Black Yellow/Black   Red/Blue
Off Connected 12.48 2.76 12.45 3.42 2.73 0.01
Off Disconnected 12.50 0.00 12.51 12.51 0.00 0.00
On Disconnected 14.30 14.30 14.30 6.50 14.30 0.06
On Connected 14.30 14.30 14.30        8 to 14.8 14.30       .01 to .04

I have since found out that I have "twiddled" the variable resistor fully in (clockwise)  So backed it off 11 turns (thanks Old Goat) but not plugged it back in.

Together we can do this!

Had a phone call from Adverc this morning to say that "the Adverc does not appear to be taking over from the regulator" It was suggested that I send the unit back for checking and resetting to my choice voltage.  The cost for this would be £20 +vat + carriage.  If the unit requires repair the cost will be discussed before work takes place.  I am very happy with the service and information I received from them.

As I have adjusted the Adverc two turns at a time when the unit should have been in the absorption stage I think it is unlikely that it is just out of adjustment.  So I think my unit is faulty.

Anybody got an Adverc they no longer need?

On 12/05/2017 at 19:48, Wrinkley said:

Had a phone call from Adverc this morning to say that "the Adverc does not appear to be taking over from the regulator" It was suggested that I send the unit back for checking and resetting to my choice voltage.  The cost for this would be £20 +vat + carriage.  If the unit requires repair the cost will be discussed before work takes place.  I am very happy with the service and information I received from them.

As I have adjusted the Adverc two turns at a time when the unit should have been in the absorption stage I think it is unlikely that it is just out of adjustment.  So I think my unit is faulty.

Anybody got an Adverc they no longer need?

I keep a spare that I got on eBay for a good price but its mine! Advercs change hands on eBay quite often but usually go for quite a lot of money. Have you checked and double checked the wiring and connections and are you sure that the extra wire inside the alternator is ok?

...............Dave

Lost count of how many times I have checked the wiring (still does not mean its correct).  The green wire goes to the Regulator and has voltage on it when Adverc disconnected.  Blue wire goes to +ve output on alternator. Red to +ve Battery.  Two white wires have resistance for heat sensor.  Two black go to -ve on alternator. Yellow through over voltage warning lamp on to ignition switch and the Brown on to the ignition switch.  Thinking I may send the unit back to Adverc just for conformation of working or not.

Graham

11 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Should the green wire not go to one of the alternator brushes, bypassing the alternator's own regulator?

Yes, but on A127s and probably others that have brushes as part of the regulator the wire often exits the regulator case. I am not so sure what would happen of that wire was connected to the wrong brush, possibly magic smoke from the Adverc so if there has never been any smoke its probably on the correct brush (unless it has fallen off inside the regulator/alternator. That is possible if someone has used ordinary solder/flux on a stainless steel brush holder.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, but on A127s and probably others that have brushes as part of the regulator the wire often exits the regulator case. I am not so sure what would happen of that wire was connected to the wrong brush, possibly magic smoke from the Adverc so if there has never been any smoke its probably on the correct brush (unless it has fallen off inside the regulator/alternator. That is possible if someone has used ordinary solder/flux on a stainless steel brush holder.

Adverc will - if asked politely - supply diagrams of precisely where  to attach the 'override' wire (and probably did to the original owner). I find it strange that folks will often come on here before asking the supplier......

I suspect that's what has happened here - the original owner didn't fully understand what  was needed, but blamed the equipment instead. When properly installed (for me at least) the difference is quite marked......

I have connected the green wire as per the wiring diagram supplied by Adverc after I contacted them.  On the Leece Neville regulator there is a green wire inside the case which you connect to. Very simple!  But still not working.

2 hours ago, Wrinkley said:

I have connected the green wire as per the wiring diagram supplied by Adverc after I contacted them.  On the Leece Neville regulator there is a green wire inside the case which you connect to. Very simple!  But still not working.

Apologies - I stand corrected; I was following (as folks do) the inference that it was an A127 alternator  - Leece Nevilles are 'proper' alternators (wish everybody used such).

Probably needa an h'expert with a voltmeter and continuity tester. What model is the alternator?

Has the Adverc ever worked correctly? Did it work with a previous alternator,? I assume something has changed to require the voltage adjustment so what has changed?

Most alternators are "negative" but a small number (especially from USA) are "positive" and require internal changes to the Adverc.

..............Dave

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

Has the Adverc ever worked correctly? Did it work with a previous alternator,? I assume something has changed to require the voltage adjustment so what has changed?

Most alternators are "negative" but a small number (especially from USA) are "positive" and require internal changes to the Adverc.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, Wrinkley said:

The model number of the alternator is 8LHA2159V This is the 160a version, mine is the 140a but has been superseded by this one. The regulator is the same.

Lots of info on the web....

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

However, that doesn't include the above. If it's never worked, perhaps that's the answer? Again a quick bell to Adverc might help.