Opinions on a boat

KVico

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/05/2017 at 10:11, Neil2 said:

Another negative aspect of he ubiquitous calorifier.   Yes lots of people have them and doubtless love them to bits but these days when you have excellent instant heaters such as the Morco G11E costing less than £400 it's worth pointing out the options to people who don't have much boating experience.    

Personally I don't see the point in having more than one method of water heating, I only have one method at home.  I like things as simple as possible on a boat, more water pipes means more potential for leaks.    

OK so being the greenie as usual, I did wonder if there was any alternative to the full calorifier system on the boat, especially as I think the one on the boat I wish to buy is ermmm....'tanked', of sorts....insert other words for non-too-hopeful on reliability.

Can it handle the shower and kitchen...yes of course it can, I can guess the answer but have to ask....does it need more battery, a heavier draw on batteries, what are the decisive decision points for someone like me?...I'd like to rip the system out and gain space for a bigger shower but unsure if I should even think about compromising other space.

i have NEVER felt so blooming useless as during this boat buying practice, I read loads but some of it is like an old Haynes Car Manual.....all lovely taking some bits apart step by step and then you get the "Simply slip the demogistyrern fling phalange for the egontristicarical boom marking dollywinkle but BE CERTAIN NOT TO UPSET THE BALANCE OF THE GROLLYFYING UPSHERTVANTICAL ROD!!

...this is the part of the chapter in the manual which you reach after your numerous pints and a couple of whiskeys.....no wonder my cars never worked....I hope for more on the boat ....maybe

18 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

OK so being the greenie as usual, I did wonder if there was any alternative to the full calorifier system on the boat, especially as I think the one on the boat I wish to buy is ermmm....'tanked', of sorts....insert other words for non-too-hopeful on reliability.

Can it handle the shower and kitchen...yes of course it can, I can guess the answer but have to ask....does it need more battery, a heavier draw on batteries, what are the decisive decision points for someone like me?...I'd like to rip the system out and gain space for a bigger shower but unsure if I should even think about compromising other space.

i have NEVER felt so blooming useless as during this boat buying practice, I read loads but some of it is like an old Haynes Car Manual.....all lovely taking some bits apart step by step and then you get the "Simply slip the demogistyrern fling phalange for the egontristicarical boom marking dollywinkle but BE CERTAIN NOT TO UPSET THE BALANCE OF THE GROLLYFYING UPSHERTVANTICAL ROD!!

...this is the part of the chapter in the manual which you reach after your numerous pints and a couple of whiskeys.....no wonder my cars never worked....I hope for more on the boat ....maybe

I already gave you a greenie. 

Get the boat, see how you go. You will learn more in a day on the boat than a week on the forum. Then decide what works and what dont. 

40 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I already gave you a greenie. 

Get the boat, see how you go. You will learn more in a day on the boat than a week on the forum. Then decide what works and what dont. 

Got another week before the survey!....feels like a boring summer school holidays for an eight year old....it is lasting a lifetime!...I want to get onboard and start my new life - the problem here is that the old system will need replacing ....new calorifier or other options !?

I can see my questions are getting too frequent by responses so I'll pack up for now and restrict myself to reading up.

many thanks again all :cheers:

8 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Got another week before the survey!....feels like a boring summer school holidays for an eight year old....it is lasting a lifetime!...I want to get onboard and start my new life - the problem here is that the old system will need replacing ....new calorifier or other options !?

I can see my questions are getting too frequent by responses so I'll pack up for now and restrict myself to reading up.

many thanks again all :cheers:

I haven't read all the thread, if it were me i would have calorifier, especially if it was heated by stove backboiler and immersion. I would alao have gas water heater. 

We both.,although im still at the planning stage for connecting it up to the backboiler 

11 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I don't think Mr Rusty meant to be rude, it's just that most of us on here have formulated our opinions after maybe thousands of hours/miles on the canals, and though some of these opinions are strongly defended, they are just opinions.  

I don't like calorifiers but that's based on my preference for keeping things as simple as possible and in particular having as little pipework on the boat as I can get away with.

When you have done a few months boating you will find,almost certainly, that your own views change, especially when things start to go wrong. 

However, what I will say is remember the current generation of instant water heaters has been developed largely to satisfy the expanding caravan and motorhome market where folk demand ever higher standards of home comforts, and this is why we narrowboat owners are really spoilt these days.  There was a time when the calorifier was a much more straightforward choice but now it's not so clear cut. 

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I don't think Mr Rusty meant to be rude, it's just that most of us on here have formulated our opinions after maybe thousands of hours/miles on the canals, and though some of these opinions are strongly defended, they are just opinions.  

Personally I would put up with some complexity of systems to ensure(at least) one system will function.

When living in 'bricks & mortar' you are a phone call away from a repair-man in virtually any discipline, and, they will be 'with you' in a matter of minutes or hours.

On a boat YOU are that repair-man be it, engine mechanicals, fuel, water, gas, electrical or whatever, you are unlikely to get an 'engineer' out to you on a Sunday night, over Christmas when your heating beaks down.

It is advisable to have alternative methods for as much as possible.

Heating - Solid fuel stove AND eberspacher

Hot water - Solid fuel stove with back boiler, AND  eberspacher, AND calorifier heated by engine.

Cooking - Keep a spare gas bottle at all times AND a couple of disposable BBQs

Fuel - Keep a 20 litre Jerry can of known clean fuel and piping to attach to the engine (bypassing fuel tank filters etc)

Carry tools & spares for everything that is specific to that engine / boat even if fitting them is beyond your abilities - if you do 'get a man in' and you need a left handed thread widget you have one and are not waiting for him to order one.

Learn how to replace / repair as much as possible on your boat - you are the '1st responder' mechanic, plumber and electrician

8 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I don't like calorifiers but that's based on my preference for keeping things as simple as possible and in particular having as little pipework on the boat as I can get away with.

But what can be simpler than a tank of water with coils attached to at least two heating sources?

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

But what can be simpler than a tank of water with coils attached to at least two heating sources?

I was puzzling the same conundrum. 

10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

When you have done a few months boating you will find,almost certainly, that your own views change, especially when things start to go wrong. 

However, what I will say is remember the current generation of instant water heaters has been developed largely to satisfy the expanding caravan and motorhome market where folk demand ever higher standards of home comforts, and this is why we narrowboat owners are really spoilt these days.  There was a time when the calorifier was a much more straightforward choice but now it's not so clear cut. 

Hey there,

I didn't take it as rudeness at all so no problems on that front I promise, I do however understand that you guys must get fed up of seeing the same old greenie problems, and the same old questions and have to take a breath, smile and then answer.

as I posted I am grateful for all the help, but am really struggling with some of the terminology. My Dad was an electronics engineer working through the exciting times of development through 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s....but sadly I never understood beyond a point, much to his frustration.

I am asking too many questions but most of it is frustration at having to wait but equally want to hit the ground running because, blacking, repaint, engine service, mechanical and electrical training, electrical refit, new heating system, new kitchen, new cushions, reworked shower room, new flooring, painting, sanding, varnishing, new oven, clean the stove, new ropes, new fenders, new carpet tiles, polished and cleaned all over, solar panels, .....ermm oh and a new mop.....will all be sorted by August after a mid June exchange of contracts.....and all of the work above done by my own fair hand and for a few hundred quid.....of ok, maybe no new mop, and leave the old one out, a bit tooooo extravagant!

The heating system is a specific worry as it is further out of my comfort zone and am sure it will need a replacement, but wonder if I really need what it has or if there are better alternatives.

The main gainers toes I have is bed at stern, wood burner right at front in lounge - I don't feel the cold so much (yep I know water adds a big notch to temp reduction) but am a bit well known for being in t-shirts throughout almost all weathers, inc. -7 on a December day in Stockholm...just me.

if I need to replace the heating system....with as little pipe work as possible then ?

.....I am hearing and reading keep it replace and have other options as well..

....but I will get back to just reading as don't want to burn my bridges on advice before I even take ownership ......my thanks and admiration for your knowledge is total and 100% honest, you guys and gals have lived it and more importantly breathed it.....I will work to learn a lot but always keen to take advice....I preach it in my job so.....!!;)

Cheers all, and be back soon, will be reading amap!...not taking you all for granted for certain :cheers:

10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I don't think Mr Rusty meant to be rude,

No rudness intended. My comment was suggesting you try with what you have before planning anything. 

Alans  suggetions to have backup systems, in my opinion,  is a good one. 

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No rudness intended. My comment was suggesting you try with what you have before planning anything. 

Alans  suggetions to have backup systems, in my opinion,  is a good one. 

No idea where you all are on the network but look forward to buying a beer or two in thanks for putting up with the questions, and for the advice which all goes in the melting pot. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

No idea where you all are on the network but look forward to buying a beer or two in thanks for putting up with the questions, and for the advice which all goes in the melting pot. :cheers:

No problem with all the questions. At least you don't argue every point like another new poster here ;)

I can understand your excitement and wanting all your questions answered in advance but I second the suggestion to get to know what you have first. Get to know the systems, their foibles and their failings. Then prioritise your upgrades and try to do them one at a time. 

^^^^

Sound advice indeed.

There are relatively few options on boats, simply because only a few things work well on them. 

Get to know what you have first,  then what other options are available and then decide.

Just now, WotEver said:

No problem with all the questions. At least you don't argue every point like another new poster here ;)

I can understand your excitement and wanting all your questions answered in advance but I second the suggestion to get to know what you have first. Get to know the systems, their foibles and their failings. Then prioritise your upgrades and try to do them one at a time. 

Too much respect for all of you folks!....don't think said person means I'll but is too keen to set a scenario and then underline experience in other realms...is a lack of confidence or is a lack of respect, I like to think the former....as they are in a totally new environment and not as mobile as once was.

Me ...!?..I know I'm a liability until proven otherwise, regardless of experience - I mean, we do drive on the left don't we :D 

...7 days to go til survey.....better not be a bleeding 2 month wait for fixes! :banned:(Closest I could get to a bad survey scenario)

I am part financing the boat as want to keep some money aside for other more pressing needs, so have to abide by their requirements - just want to get on board and get to know her......so said the bishop about the actress!

it is true about the boat finding you as this wasn't what I was looking for and walked through a good 50 or so before and similar since.....and can see so much scope to improve...mostly just TLC...this one was for me I'm sure!....but like any relationship - she'll probably cause me a load of pain and get the better of me.....in the short term ;):D

LOVED!!! That fables Star post from a few years back...and all subsequent comments, am going to note them all down, and add them to a list I'll nail to the wall - without the glass in first.

many thanks all.....looking forward to bumping into some of these big poster names in the years to come....not literally I hope.

46 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

it is true about the boat finding you as this wasn't what I was looking for and walked through a good 50 or so before and similar since....

I can't tell you how many times this forum has advised the above. I'm glad you did just that; viewed a whole bunch of boats and then finally one found you. And as in your experience, it often isn't what you thought you wanted :)

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I can't tell you how many times this forum has advised the above. I'm glad you did just that; viewed a whole bunch of boats and then finally one found you. And as in your experience, it often isn't what you thought you wanted :)

....not mine YET!.....fingers crossed ;)

2 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

....not mine YET!.....fingers crossed ;)

It will be...

No matter how bad (or good) the survey is, you'll find ways to convince yourself you can handle the problems and buy it anyway, I predict!! 

On 5/11/2017 at 08:42, Athy said:

Springers and Hudsons are good examples of this.

This is probably the first time that I have ever seen the words "Springers and Hudsons" used together to describe a shared trait other than that of being the respective polar ends of the price spectrum!

I find it way funnier than I should that now that the day has finally come, it was in a sentence highlighting one of their most obvious differences! :lol:

On 5/11/2017 at 08:42, Athy said:

Springers and Hudsons are good examples of this.

Is this posting from the future a special moderators prerogative?

Or is the forum using an American date format?

Edited by David Mack

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is this posting from the future a special moderators prerogative?

Or is the forum using an American date format?

???

it was from this post...

12 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

That is indeed American date format, which is kind of hilarious when you consider how much anyone using American spelling and grammar on the forum upsets Athy... :D 

???

You sure it's not a setting you have for the forum? On my phone it shows as 11/05/2017 which was British the last time I looked.