Opinions on a boat

KVico

Featured Posts

Sorry but I'm completely baffled why that boat has anything going for it over all the others.  And you can't even see what it looks like from the outside.  If the owner can't be bothered to take some decent external pictures they don't deserve to sell it. 

Athy only likes it 'cos it has a tractor engine.

21 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Sorry but I'm completely baffled why that boat has anything going for it over all the others.  And you can't even see what it looks like from the outside.  If the owner can't be bothered to take some decent external pictures they don't deserve to sell it. 

Oddly enough I was at the Stradsett Rally two weekends ago and I did see a tractorr with a Perkins engine, P3 I think, are they that common in agricultural use?

The interior of the boat is very attractive - but I can see that it's a particular style which would not attract everybody. As for the exterior, I did give a plausible [in my opinion] explanation for the lack of photos. I do agree that more would have been better.

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Is a Worcester combi-boiler approved for boat fitting?

I would think that even if it is, it would require a 240V feed to run it.  Also how much gas would one of those use?

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I just quite like the style.

It seems like the boiler is a problem though?

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/questionspost.cgi?post=585

It says that the external paintwork needs attention but the one photo of the outside doesn't look too bad. I wonder how recent the photos are?  In the photos it doesn't look too bad internally but are these recent photos?

haggis

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

It says that the external paintwork needs attention but the one photo of the outside doesn't look too bad. I wonder how recent the photos are?  In the photos it doesn't look too bad internally but are these recent photos?

haggis

Well, if K goes to see it, (s)he'll know.

18 minutes ago, KVico said:

How can you tell?

Different builders have different styles. The feature which is most likely to be their trademark is the bow shape. Often it's as distinctive a recognition feature as the radiator grille of a car. Springers and Hudsons are good examples of this.

Liverpool boats are noted for a flared design in the steelwork of the bow section. HOWEVER, the company's earlier boats did not have this, and I am not sure when the design was changed. It may have been after 1995, which would explain why this boat doesn't look like most people's idea of a Liverpool.

They were mass-produced but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. Our last boat had a Liverpool Boats shell, and it was sturdy, shapely and swam well. (Although, when we came to sell it, the broker noticed that the gunwales on one side were an inch wider than on the other side!)

2 hours ago, KVico said:

A Liverpool boats, I think people don't have a good opinion of this maker? 

Nothing wrong with our Liverpool Boats boat :)

I think the issues came from the standard of fit-out they did, or didn't do however on something that age any original issues would have been fixed years ago.

Front door curtain looks to be very close to the fire. Why is there what looks like a wooden board on the floor in the galley? A trip hazard perhaps covering a dodgy floor? 

Haggis

On 07/05/2017 at 11:26, Athy said:

To me their sound is more evocative of agriculture. Oi quoite loike tractorrrs. I wonder why no one has ever put a Field Marshall engine an a narrowboat - their sound is most soothing.

Good point.

But hang on,  Field Marshall tractors have Bolinder engines IIRC. Who on earth would want to put one of THOSE in a boat??!! 

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Doesn't look like a Liverpool Boats shell to me.

Agree, I have never seen a Liverpool hull like that

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good point.

But hang on,  Field Marshall tractors have Bolinder engines IIRC. Who on earth would want to put one of THOSE in a boat??!! 

Saw one of those on the back of a lorry going along the A14 a couple of days ago, painted bright orange.

1 hour ago, IanM said:

Nothing wrong with our Liverpool Boats boat :)

I think the issues came from the standard of fit-out they did, or didn't do...

Really? As opposed to this...  

2 hours ago, Athy said:

(Although, when we came to sell it, the broker noticed that the gunwales on one side were an inch wider than on the other side!)

:D

Liverpool boats were utterly thrown together back in the early 2000s. I used to do PDI checks on them for New Boat Company when they traded out of T&K Marina at Reading and they eventually stopped selling them, so great was the cost and hassle of correcting all the faults we found once craned off the lorry.

Then a second (long) snagging list usually came from the customer once they started actually using the boats. NBC decided as a result to sell only the weird Polish boats (Aqualine) which came off the lorry perfect in every way. Virtually never any comebacks with them. Far easier business.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

...........the gunwales on one side were an inch wider than on the other side

Then of course there is the (large ?) number of Liverpool boats that are unable to go up the Llangollen Canal due to them being 'banana shape' - no specific part over width, but over the length of the boat  they were sufficiently 'oversize' to be unable to fit in the locks.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Liverpool boats were utterly thrown together back in the early 2000s. I used to do PDI checks on them for New Boat Company when they traded out of T&K Marina at Reading and they eventually stopped selling them, so great was the cost and hassle of correcting all the faults we found once craned off the lorry.

Then a second (long) snagging list usually came from the customer once they started actually using the boats. NBC decided as a result to sell only the weird Polish boats (Aqualine) which came off the lorry perfect in every way. Virtually never any comebacks with them. Far easier business.

The version of this story which I heard, at the time, was that Alan McNaughton, son of Liverpool Boats boss Stan McNaughton, was one of the original partners who founded the New & Used Boat Co., as I think it was then called. At some point Alan (described to me by his Dad as a "ruthless young businessman") fell out with the others and stomped off back to the family firm, hence their change to a different make.

Of course, the falling-out could have been about build quality.